Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my problem revolves around being selfish, and, in my opinion, my wife not realizing it's her.

I make almost twice what she makes so I pay for every bill in the house, always have. But the deal was that she would put aside $800 a month to our savings account. While I'm still paying and taking care of my responsibilities, she no longer is putting aside that money since she says she has her bills to pay., car, phone and insurance. (These are the same as before)

On the selfish part, we're newlyweds, Oct 13th, but I already see an ugly trend here. She suggested we go to lunch on a Friday, but no concrete plans were made. When that Friday arrived, I was busy at work and didn't recall her lunch suggestion till she mentioned something in an email about 1:30 that afternoon. I asked if she still wanted to go and she told me she can't now since she's busy. So I drove to her work, about a 20 minute drive each way, and just brought her lunch and left. No thank you, nothing. Today I send her an email asking if she wants to go to lunch, and her response is, "well you forgot last week." I replied, "babe, I brought you lunch last week." All of a sudden I get a long text saying how she feels unappreciated, and that I'm not doing anything for her to show her that she's special. A week prior, her tire blow out while I was on my way to my sports game. I told them I couldn't make the game and went to change my wife's tire. The next day I took the day off, went to the dealership, got her oil changed and bought 4 new tires $600. Mind you, up to this point, we both have paid for our own cars. Last night, she had an exam for school, (computer based) so I left for my sports game, with my buddy since I was driving us, so she would have peace and quiet. She calls me and tells me my computer isn't working. (she has her own laptop that was working). I told her I'm not sure why, and she hangs up on me. I call her back and tell her she can use my laptop instead, she hangs up on me again. I get home, she barely speaks a word to me. Today she tells me, in that long message, that I was selfish to not come home, I was 20 minutes away and I drove my buddy, and fix the computer for her. I didn't even KNOW she was still having issues since she hung up on me TWICE.

So, I know this was kind of long, but clearly I have things to get off my chest. :-( Anyway, am I right to feel being taken advantage off, even if she is my wife, that I pay for everything and she is no longer upholding her end of the bargain, and am I right to feel like she is being unreasonable seeing that I have gone out of my way to do things for her.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Oh boy!

I'd nip this garbage in the bud!

You are going to need to be very careful to uphold reasonable boundaries for yourself. Do NOT give in to her unreasonable demands, and when she gets worked up about it, remind yourself that dealing with her ugly emotions is her responsibility, not yours. As long as you haven't broken promises to her, or done something that harmed her, you're in the clear. You have a duty to your marriage to be a good man, but you did not sign on to rescue her from every minor inconvenience that comes her way, and you'd do well to set the groundwork right now.

As far as the money, I encourage a system where the total household income is calculated and you figure out who earns what percentage of the total. The person with the lower percentage will pay that same percentage toward the total monthly bills by writing a check to the other person. Savings goals are part of the monthly bills.

·
Administrator
48,107 Posts
Your wife sounds irrational from what you say above.

What else is going on? Ask her to tell you what you have done that makes her think that you are selfish. You are not a mind reader. If she wants you to improve and stop whatever your sins were, she has to tell you what they are and what she needs you to do differently.

I agree with what Kathy says about your finances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.