1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
"SEATTLE — Alison Krupnick was mentally preparing herself for the surgery set for early in the coming week that could eliminate her early-stage cervical cancer. But on Friday, she got word from the hospital: Because of the crush of coronavirus patients, her surgery was being called off."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-forcing-hospitals-cancel-surgeries-154321252.html
Unreal...

The panic and possible government overreach are going to kill more people than the virus.

By all accounts the virus isn't that deadly anyway and most have healthy enough immune systems to bat it away.

·
Registered
773 Posts
"SEATTLE — Alison Krupnick was mentally preparing herself for the surgery set for early in the coming week that could eliminate her early-stage cervical cancer. But on Friday, she got word from the hospital: Because of the crush of coronavirus patients, her surgery was being called off."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-forcing-hospitals-cancel-surgeries-154321252.html
Unreal...

The panic and possible government overreach are going to kill more people than the virus.

By all accounts the virus isn't that deadly anyway and most have healthy enough immune systems to bat it away.
SMH and so it begins

·
Registered
16,578 Posts
I think that as a barometer, you really need to look overseas, more especially in Europe, at the progression of the pandemic there. Doctors and the media are not just beating their gums for the sole sake of providing political slant or to pump out misinformation. They're doing it for a reason!

I'm all too fearful that it will be the adherence to the reactive misinformation and willful ignorance that is going to place us at a far greater risk!

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unreal...

Yes, but if 1/3rd of the population gets it and 1% of those need hospitalization, the hospitals will be overwhelmed.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the population won't need hospitalization but many will flood hospitals anyway.
They may go to the ER, which will cause its own problems, but they won't be admitted, so they won't be a strain on beds.

However, 1 million extra hospital admissions in a short time will bring the system to its knees. Even if that is over 6 months it will be a tremendous strain.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Yes, but if 1/3rd of the population gets it and 1% of those need hospitalization, the hospitals will be overwhelmed.
I absolutely get what you're saying however don't think I'm not. Slowing the spread of the virus definitely has its advantages. I am extremely nervous when a governor who wants to take away your guns anyway starts instituting pretty severe restrictions that are going to impact everyone.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts

That's heart breaking when it come to cancer surgery, EVERY DAY counts. With cancer, she's probably under chemo and her immune system is compromised. Corona could very well kill her in her condition. My wife is scheduled for her procedure on April 2. We will see if her surgery gets cancelled or not. Her immune system is compromised from the chemo.

·
Registered
172 Posts
And the snowball effect continues.

I fell this morning. Smashed the back of my head on a solid oak table and my foot and ankle look and feel broken.

No way I was going to the hospital. I have enough medical knowledge, experience and supplies so I can tend to most needs without exposing myself to the “Germ Room”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Its still early to tell, but looks like around 1% fatal, 10% need hospitalization. Its not clear how many of those would die without hospitalization, but I think Wuhan had a ~3.5% overall death rate.

Lots of uncertainty because we don't know how many people were infected but didn't seek medical care (and of course any number from the Chinese govt needs to be viewed with some skepticism) . That said, the numbers in Europe are in the same ballpark.

Most of the population won't need hospitalization but many will flood hospitals anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's changing everyday, but the US only has about 4,567 reported cases. And I think that most people will fine if they get it, but not if they're panic induced when they do. It's best to be cautious, but the media has only made it worse.
At 30% increase per day, starting at 4567 cases today, can you guess roughly how many cases will there be in two weeks?

You'll be shocked to hear the answer, which I'll post later.

·
Premium Member
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And the snowball effect continues.

I fell this morning. Smashed the back of my head on a solid oak table and my foot and ankle look and feel broken.

No way I was going to the hospital. I have enough medical knowledge, experience and supplies so I can tend to most needs without exposing myself to the “Germ Room”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ow, that's horrible.
Do you have anyone to help you?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Its still early to tell, but looks like around 1% fatal, 10% need hospitalization. Its not clear how many of those would die without hospitalization, but I think Wuhan had a ~3.5% overall death rate.

Lots of uncertainty because we don't know how many people were infected but didn't seek medical care (and of course any number from the Chinese govt needs to be viewed with some skepticism) . That said, the numbers in Europe are in the same ballpark.
That percentage is among the elderly and infirm. It is a little early yet but it seems to be consistent.

We have a good model in the UK to watch for results because they are concentrating on isolating those at highest risk without destroying their economy by isolating everyone.

It is still early but their numbers don't appear to be that bad.

·
Registered
980 Posts
We have a good model in the UK to watch for results because they are concentrating on isolating those at highest risk without destroying their economy by isolating everyone.

It is still early but their numbers don't appear to be that bad.
Honestly, I think it's too early to say here. Boris told us yesterday to avoid all unnecessary travel and social contact. Remains to be seen if people will comply.

I would agree that the number of 1% fatal is on the high side.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Agreed, I got gkids over to the house and for the sake of the family. I am not even going anymore to the range, It is a hobby I do so enjoy with others. I guess I'll just set up in the back yard ( no neighbor's) do my plinking here.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It's changing everyday, but the US only has about 4,567 reported cases. And I think that most people will fine if they get it, but not if they're panic induced when they do. It's best to be cautious, but the media has only made it worse.
If you can say which reports are problematic, or which kinds of statements, I can evaluate this. Otherwise, it's just a blanket condemnation like "<your political party> is bad".

The media has given us warning we can use to prepare and take precautions.

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
I just spent the last 4 days in the hospital with my dying mother.

Everything changed between day 1 and yesterday.

We watched the hospital staff grimly go through preparedness training as they were clearly aware of what is to come. They started having more and more armed security forces showing up in and around the building. By yesterday, the hospital is on a full lock down: only patients and providers are allowed in the building. No visitors or vendors at all.

This is no joke and no precautions are too extreme. Stay home. Do not go out in public. I’m telling you, what we saw in the hospital was shocking. They know this is truly a pandemic. The public needs to know. They are going to panic but they should, so they will stay home.

Yesterday they finally decided to test her for the corona virus because she wasn’t recovering from the type A flu she had as they expected. They told us that originally it was believed if you had this flu you didn’t have the corona virus. Now they have learned you can have both concurrently. So if she does have corona, she may now have had it for a week.

They immediately moved her to the ICU in total quarantine which means they have to fully suit up in this special medical hazmat stuff to even go inside her containment tent. They sent us home and told us not to let any of our stuff touch any surfaces on the way out. They told us to self quarantine until we know if she is positive which could take 24 to 48 hours.

Before that I had been sleeping on a cot next to her in the respiratory unit. I have not gone in public since last Wednesday.

The strange thing is, she seems to possibly be coming through. Even if she does have it, she may survive it. And she is 79 and has many health issues. The only reason she will get to have this possibility is because she was already in the hospital. Going forward, people will die because there will not be enough supplies or beds for everyone.

The other reason this is possible for her is because she has Cadillac health care coverage, which she pays $500 a month for. Those who do not have any coverage are going to be SOL.

I promise you. This is not fear mongering. There will be people storming hospitals the way they are storming toilet paper right now. And it won’t be just panicked people, it will be sick people who are contagious. They will have to protect hospitals with police and armed guards.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just spent the last 4 days in the hospital with my dying mother.

Everything changed between day 1 and yesterday.

We watched the hospital staff grimly go through preparedness training as they were clearly aware of what is to come. They started having more and more armed security forces showing up in and around the building. By yesterday, the hospital is on a full lock down: only patients and providers are allowed in the building. No visitors or vendors at all.

This is no joke and no precautions are too extreme. Stay home. Do not go out in public. I’m telling you, what we saw in the hospital was shocking. They know this is truly a pandemic. The public needs to know. They are going to panic but they should, so they will stay home.

Yesterday they finally decided to test her for the corona virus because she wasn’t recovering from the type A flu she had as they expected. They told us that originally it was believed if you had this flu you didn’t have the corona virus. Now they have learned you can have both concurrently. So if she does have corona, she may now have had it for a week.

They immediately moved her to the ICU in total quarantine which means they have to fully suit up in this special medical hazmat stuff to even go inside her containment tent. They sent us home and told us not to let any of our stuff touch any surfaces on the way out. They told us to self quarantine until we know if she is positive which could take 24 to 48 hours.

Before that I had been sleeping on a cot next to her in the respiratory unit. I have not gone in public since last Wednesday.

The strange thing is, she seems to possibly be coming through. Even if she does have it, she may survive it. And she is 79 and has many health issues. The only reason she will get to have this possibility is because she was already in the hospital. Going forward, people will die because there will not be enough supplies or beds for everyone.

The other reason this is possible for her is because she has Cadillac health care coverage, which she pays $500 a month for. Those who do not have any coverage are going to be SOL.

I promise you. This is not fear mongering. There will be people storming hospitals the way they are storming toilet paper right now. And it won’t be just panicked people, it will be sick people who are contagious. They will have to protect hospitals with police and armed guards.
Stay safe Faithful Wife. I hope your mother pulls through.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts