Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a stay at home mom who worked and supported myself up until I got married and had kids in my late 30s. Now, I stay at home with twins. My husband always overrides me when I want to buy something, which isn't even that often and when I do, it's something small like a ten or fifteen dollar item. It's so hard going from supporting myself and making all the financial decisions to being told that I can't buy something. He makes a lot of money and we can afford it but he just doesn't want me to spend any money unless I absolutely have to. I'll do anything to stay home with my kids so if that's the way it has to be for right now, that's fine but it's a really hard change to get used to. I'm looking forward to going back to work when the kids go to school so I'll feel like I have some say if I want something. Anyone else struggle with the same thing?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I could not have accepted that. Your contribution to the household as a SAHM has a financial value that I would never let my partner ignore!

This link offers the financial equivalents of what the average SAHM would earn in the workplace for her contributions: What Is Mom's Job Worth? - Salary.com

I'd use this and the calculator linked from that site to explain that I *would* have a certain amount of financial independence, or I'd be finding a job again.

I wasn't a SAHM with my own kids because finances wouldn't have allowed it at the time. When I remarried a few years ago, I became a SAHP for almost 2 years, and was lucky that my guy is someone who wants me to have everything my heart could wish for and work triple shifts if necessary to pay for it. I'd never do that to him, and I have gone back to work, but it would have been MUCH sooner if his attitude had been like your husband's.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Can you work out a monthly budget that you can then withdraw funds for without needing to check with him?

Figure out what you'll generally need to spend each month plus some extra for miscellaneous items that pop up, and then he has no need to micromanage you as long as you are within the budget.

If you need to go over budget because of some unexpected expense, then you discuss that.

If this is really about being financially responsible for him, he should be fine with that since he knows you will be within budget so has no need to approve every penny. If this is about control, then you've got bigger issues that a budget and a plan won't solve.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
What he is doing is unfair and i would consider it financial abuse.

It's one thing if you were careless with money, however it sounds like you are not and your contribution and value should be considered equal to his.

I would find his stingy behaviour very unattractive.

Maybe you need some counseling to help you work out these issues. But I definitely do not think his behaviour is OK.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
What he is doing is unfair and i would consider it financial abuse.

It's one thing if you were careless with money, however it sounds like you are not and your contribution and value should be considered equal to yours.

I would find his stingy behaviour very unattractive.

Maybe you need some counseling to help you work out these issues. But I definitely do not think his behaviour is OK.
and never underestimate a man's desire to spend money in his mistress.

You're his wife AND you're taking care of his children....... you should not come cheap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Staying at home and looking after children is work and so should be compensated in some way.

You should definitely be paid out of the household finances and get money you can call your own. You can spend it or save it as you wish.

You have to convince him that such a system has great benefits and will make for a much more harmonious home environment.

I don't recommend presenting your husband with an invoice at the end of the month though. That might not go down too well. But you should work something out with him.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I could not have accepted that. Your contribution to the household as a SAHM has a financial value that I would never let my partner ignore!

This link offers the financial equivalents of what the average SAHM would earn in the workplace for her contributions: What Is Mom's Job Worth? - Salary.com

I'd use this and the calculator linked from that site to explain that I *would* have a certain amount of financial independence, or I'd be finding a job again.

I wasn't a SAHM with my own kids because finances wouldn't have allowed it at the time. When I remarried a few years ago, I became a SAHP for almost 2 years, and was lucky that my guy is someone who wants me to have everything my heart could wish for and work triple shifts if necessary to pay for it. I'd never do that to him, and I have gone back to work, but it would have been MUCH sooner if his attitude had been like your husband's.
I think what OP's husband is doing is wrong,but that list is complete BS.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What's BS about it?:scratchhead:
Because it is that's why!! My wife's running joke is to make enough money SO I CAN STAY HOME and be a SAHD!! Why? Because I kick ass, I clean, yard, toilets, clothes, love running to Taekwondo, soccer, volleyball, doing homework etc, love to cook dinner, and play silly games.

My wife can get a little irked with them after doing that for too long. We both work and probably split the kid load 60/40 towards me.

I would quit my job in a heatbeat to stay home everyday and keep my current standard of living. It's fun, but the OP is getting screwed. $10-$15 and she has to ask gimme a break.

I would ask for a allowance at the least.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
I went through that in the early years of our marriage. I figured out that it was a complicated problem with lots of preconceived notions that neither of us fully understood.
He is cheap. He is, he knows this.
I am extravagant, I am, I know this.
He felt the money was out of control.
He also never shopped with me so he was clueless what things cost.
He felt that me spending money was tossing his work into a pit. Really just visualize he brings home money, I take it away and replace that money with stuff.

So, I had to realize that he needed to feel more in control about money. I really don't think it's a value for value kind of thing. It's not that he's devaluing your contribution. I think it's the pressure he feels being the sole bread winner. It is intense and that can make a person really pull in the purse strings.

The other issue for us was he felt his role as the sole bread winner was devalued by me. And he was right. Once I began to reinforce to him that I understood how much pressure he must face, and also pointed out how proud he must feel knowing he is supporting a wife and 3 kids and our home, cars, vacations...

Maybe appreciating his contribution to the family and appreciating the pressure it must cause, might help him feel valued enough to relax a little and let you buy the ceramic Harry Potter tea kettle?

Reactions: SpinDaddy

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Because it is that's why!! My wife's running joke is to make enough money SO I CAN STAY HOME and be a SAHD!! Why? Because I kick ass, I clean, yard, toilets, clothes, love running to Taekwondo, soccer, volleyball, doing homework etc, love to cook dinner, and play silly games.

My wife can get a little irked with them after doing that for too long. We both work and probably split the kid load 60/40 towards me.

I would quit my job in a heatbeat to stay home everyday and keep my current standard of living. It's fun, but the OP is getting screwed. $10-$15 and she has to ask gimme a break.

I would ask for a allowance at the least.

My comment was why was the list provided in the link BS? As New M claimed.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The CEO entry for a start. Running a household isn't a business so doesn't make any money. You cannot pay a CEO if you don't make any money.
No but running a household produces an outcome. Hopefully a desirable one.

A lot of it is tongue in cheek, but a lot of household duties and parenting goes unnoticed and is not valued, and it takes a lot of work. She should be just as valued as he is.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
OP,

You both contribute to the running of the household (he earns money you look after the kids / home). Unless you family finances are in a total mess you should both get some "pocket money" to do with as you please (have a coffee out with friends etc).

My wife and I both work (me full time her part time from home) so the household chores are split (the kids all have jobs even the 2 year old). All major financial decisions (can we afford to move / budget for vacation) are made collectively and we both pay something into the household account (for bills / food shopping).

·
Registered
328 Posts
What's BS about it?:scratchhead:
Thinking you are CEO and what not is just crazy.Just because you help your kids with math doesn't make you a math teacher or because you help your kids when they are sick doesn't make you a doctor etc...

Median household income in USA is $52,762 ,so why don't all husbands,who earn below 135k and have SAHM wife,quit their jobs and let their wives start working for $135k.It won't happen because its BS.Female who worked on minimum wage job for around $15k doesn't just go to $135k when she gives birth,that is ridiculous.

·
Registered
251 Posts
She deserves an allowance.If the kids where in daycare you
would have to pay for this anyway and it's not cheap.
Whats this husband gonna do when the kids start growing and
costs for everything they need add up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
She deserves an allowance.If the kids where in daycare you
would have to pay for this anyway and it's not cheap.
Whats this husband gonna do when the kids start growing and
costs for everything they need add up.
Agree with this,and if he doesn't agree with it then she should start applying for jobs.

center1 what are his spending habits,is he stingy or big spender?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thinking you are CEO and what not is just crazy.Just because you help your kids with math doesn't make you a math teacher or because you help your kids when they are sick doesn't make you a doctor etc...

Median household income in USA is $52,762 ,so why don't all husbands,who earn below 135k and have SAHM wife,quit their jobs and let their wives start working for $135k.It won't happen because its BS.Female who worked on minimum wage job for around $15k doesn't just go to $135k when she gives birth,that is ridiculous.
I think it's pretty clear that it's tongue in cheek.

But most people should realise that traditional womens roles are undervalued.

Of course a womans wage doesn't go to 135k, however I think that what most SAHMs do is invaluable. So I think you are missing the point.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Here is how my wife and I solved the problem. I let her take control of the finances, because she is an accounting major, and just prefers to do it. But it became intolerable when I had to ask her whenever I needed money. I mean, I earned all the money at the time, and I had to ask to buy something?

The solution is that I set up an allotment so part of my salary went to a separate account as an allowance. For family things, she would use our joint account, but if I wanted to buy something like a magazine or a new laptop, or whatever, then I would take my money from my own account.

It's worked well for us for many years. Your husband should do the same thing - set up an automatic allotment so part of his salary goes into your account every month. It doesn't have to be a whole lot, but the point is, that way you can make ordinary purchases without having to beg for them each time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that it's tongue in cheek.

But most people should realise that traditional womens roles are undervalued.

Of course a womans wage doesn't go to 135k, however I think that what most SAHMs do is invaluable. So I think you are missing the point.
That list is trying to devalue breadwinner's work.In USA there are only 6.61% of people who earn $100k+ so even less % are earning $135k+.If you think your breadwinner is undervaluing you as SAHP,you don't show them a list that goes over the top and undervalues their work.

I'm not saying that being SAHP is easy or non valuable.I'm saying that this list is bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.