Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How supportive is your spouse/SO?

Does your spouse support your hobbies, goals and dreams? Do you have full spousal support on everything you need or want?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
My spouse has been nothing but a blessing in my life. He actually goes overboard with supporting me and I have to pull in the reins because we'd be broke and homeless! No, we wouldn't. On second thought, he'd become a slave to his work because he never wants me to want for anything.

I can tell him anything, and not fear his response. If someone flirts with me, or if I'm angry about something he did, I know that it's not going to turn into an ongoing roundabout of argument because he'll step away from his feelings rather than let them control him.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes, very much so :) She always has been. But that doesn't mean she doesn't tell me if she disagrees with something. We have complete transparency in our marriage, which means we can be supportive of one another and be prepared to be the 'bad guy' by disagreeing with something or being critical.

·
Registered
208 Posts
H supported me emotionally and financially through my migration to the states, and he supports all my creative hobbies and loves to see the things I draw and write. Anything I want, we work out a plan to see it happen one day.

I am being more supportive of his hobbies too, and we're figuring out our budget so he can buy back all the music/computer gear he sold when we thought we were moving to England. He has his career goals that he needs a degree for, and I'd love to support him through that. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Supportive in everything but satisfying my sex drive.
Ditto. She's supported every financial, work & other decision I've made - always discussed ahead of time. She also takes an interest in the things that interest me (e.g. hockey, racing). But never puts me 1st. Maybe she thinks I don't need that level of support.:mad:

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
My husband has supported me so lovingly throughout this life of mine... I look upon him as
the Wind Beneath My Wings

When I wasn't treated right at home - he wanted so badly to take me away from there....stood by me -even when I wasn't so nice.... Let's just say ...I could have an "attitude" back in the day... but he saw something in me....

He wanted to give me my every dream....Spoiled me really... told me so long as I took care of the house, the kids... I could have as many as I wanted...

He held my hand while I cried many tears, was angry :mad:...when infertility hit us after our 1st son...he supported me through all the tests, pokes & prodding, worrying & surgery....

He'd give me the world, if anything, he is almost too good to me. I've even told him to tone it down....be more selfish !! Crazy thing to hear I suppose ... Couldn't ask for a more loving man. :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
How supportive is your spouse/SO?

Does your spouse support your hobbies, goals and dreams? Do you have full spousal support on everything you need or want?
I'll probably end up giving people cavities talking about how sweet my spouse is. :D

He is very supportive. I think if I said I wanted to quit my lucrative job to be a pet sitter, he'd be supportive. I tell him pretty much everything and anything. I can always count on him to be in my corner. He's emotionally there for me. And I for him.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Why did I have to think so hard and long about that? Including looking up in the dictionary the word "support". She very much does. So the next question for me is, do I take her support for granted?

Do I support her enough? Must sleep, was in such a good place before logging into TAM. Not that these are bad questions.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope. More to the point, anything I want is a fight, a struggle to the death that she opposes just to oppose.
That just stinks! Fighting and arguing seems so pointless, especially if its excessive. There's never a win-win situation. This situation sounds a bit like my parents. My mother has to have it her way or its the highway. When you call her on it, she plays the victim.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why did I have to think so hard and long about that? Including looking up in the dictionary the word "support". She very much does. So the next question for me is, do I take her support for granted?

Do I support her enough? Must sleep, was in such a good place before logging into TAM. Not that these are bad questions.
Today is a new day. Hopefully it's a good day for you.

I don't think we intentionally take for granted the support from our spouses. Not unless we are extremely selfish. Unless your wife complains about not getting enough support, your most likely supporting her as much as you need to. Every situation/marriage is unique and different, we all have different needs.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. I asked him to go to a one night art class with me. He said he'd have to be drunk first. I asked him to go to a sporting event for my team (I've taken him to see his team on many occasions) - he said he was too busy. I asked him to use one of his hobbies to build me something (he likes to build things) for one of my hobbies and he refused, but continues to complain that I never ask for anything.
I wonder what in his mind what things you need to be asking?

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Today is a new day. Hopefully it's a good day for you.

I don't think we intentionally take for granted the support from our spouses. Not unless we are extremely selfish. Unless your wife complains about not getting enough support, your most likely supporting her as much as you need to. Every situation/marriage is unique and different, we all have different needs.
Yes, better day thanks. On taking for granted and being selfish it is something I pay attention to as early in our marriage I was a bit immature and it was a problem for me. Not anymore but it's good for me to think about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.