Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this short but if the details make it long sorry. This just seems a little odd to me. My husbands 2 exes have been adding his family as friends on Facebook. His mother, father, sister, brothers and his brother's wife all have them added. His family talks about these women as if they can't stand them behind their backs especially because of the fact that they had screwed my husband over during the course of their relationships. One of them even had an affair with his sister's husband. They have "been out of the picture" for years. The thing that bothers me is that my SIL keeps telling them to friend request my husband and he is constantly denying them. He even went as far as to send them a message asking them WTF they wanted and telling them that he has moved on with his life and does not want them to be in his life. He has said that they are not friends and he has no desire to be friends.
They had no children together so it's not like his family keeps in touch because of that.
My husband and I do have a daughter and it bothers me that these exes could be looking at our family photos that his mother and sister have on their facebook pages. I also think that it is disrespectful that they would befriend them knowing the nature of the break ups and the trash they talk about them behind their backs.
My SIL also is constantly complaining because her brothers don't hang out with her but they have families of their own. She always has to be the center of attention, her whole life is posted on facebook statuses bit that is another issue.
It's to the point where we don't even like going to family gatherings on birthdays and holidays.
Is this normal? My family is not like this so I don't know if it is or not. Would like both perspectives, male and female.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Some people have little respect and horrible "boundaries" in relationships, they assume they can sucker anyone. It is good people like yourself can see through them and not allow yourselves to be suckered & manipulated, good for your hubby speaking up !
Might have been better to just keep denying & ignoring though as he might have stirred up some SH** saying what he did.

Just set up your privacy settings so ONLY your friends can see your pictures, not your friends-friends. If you become uncomfortable with who might see your stuff on their page, eliminate them too! It's your life/your family.

It may be normal behavior for some who have little respect for themselves, let alone others, but NO, must would not push for being friends with the Ex's family. Just in bad taste, most would not even want to go there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does his family likes you? Because I don't get it!:scratchhead:
How can you ask your brother, son to be friends on FB with his two exes when he is married? They are not showing respect especially towards you. Why they want to be in touch with these exes anyway?
No is not normal. You H needs to talk with his family.

·
Registered
39,577 Posts
Personally, I would just do away with FB altogether. We got along just fine for thousands of years without being able to 'view' each others' status online. That's what phones are for.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Some people get really carried away with facebook/myspace. They feel they have to get as many "friends" on there as possible. Like it's some kind of status or personal value meter. I know a couple people who will accept any friend request just to benefit their farm or mafia game on there. Personally, I don't get it.

If you've talked to these relatives already and they don't respect you wishes, then change your privacy settings and "unfriend" the family memebers who are choosing to share your info with others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:scratchhead:His sister is a piece of work and does not like the fact that he has a family and doesn't drop everything to hang out with her. She is the main one who pushes the issue and she does love to stir up drama. I'm not really sure why the other family members are friends with them. We do have our settings as private now but some of our pictures were snagged by MIL and SIL before we found out about everything. Personally I think the exes are trying to get info so we don't share personal stuff with anyone. Never had never will. It's all too weird really.
I get along with his family but honestly he isn't that close to the, so we don't socialize on a daily basis. He doesn't want to say anything to them about it because he feels like they will do what they want anyway so why bother.
We rarely get on FB , mainly to catch up on out of state family as some of our schedules conflict so it's not always possible to talk on phone. We definitely don't get on every day and post status updates from our phones every 5 minutes, we don't even have it set up to our phones. My SIL's post everything and I do mean everything. Way too much TMI going on. If we delete them then we have to deal with drama drama drama. We usually just ignore all of it but it was mentioned to us by another family member who was asking WTF is up with all that? Are they crazy? LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.