Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest son and his family live over 6 hours away so we don't get to see his family very often, usually 3-4 times a year. He has 3 kids, all boys, ranging in age from 12 to 15. Every year for their birthdays, we send a card along with a $50 check. We've done this their entire lives. We also send a check to my son and his wife on their birthdays. The thing is, my son's wife is the only one who ever thanks us for our gift. She will always send us a nice text or a hand-written note, thanking us for the gift and telling us what she is going to do with the money. From the other four, including my son, zip, nadda. So for the next year, I'm saying that with the exception of my DIL, we should cut them off. Send a nice card for their birthdays, but no money. If anyone asks about it, we'll just tell them that we are done sending money that is not appreciated. My wife disagrees. She thinks we should just keep sending money and not say anything about it. She doesn't see it as an issue. I see it as a lack of character. What would you all do?

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m sure if they all were in person, they’d all say thank you so this may just be a long distance “alternative.”
This is true. Whenever we gift them in person, they always say thank you. So I guess it's a long distance thing. It's just that now, with current technology, how easy is it to just pick up their phone? It's not that we're asking for a hand written note in the mail. Kids text all day everyday about everything and they can't be bothered to text a thank you or hit one button in their contacts and actually voice it? I'll probably go along with the wife's wishes and keep sending gifts, but ingratitude still pisses me off. I may have a talk with my son when they visit for Christmas and tell him that if it wasn't for his mother, I'd cut him off.

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, he calls and when we visit we always take the time to go out somewhere, just he and I. We don't have any other relationship issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts