Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been acting distant for the past week or two. Not really lovey dovey, sort of dismissing me, and generally uninterested. I asked about it yesterday. I now have my first regret in life.She said that she has felt smothered by me. While I'm at work, I text and call too much. That means she can't get done what she needs to get done. This stunned me a little, and while I was trying VERY carefully to choose my words wisely, apparently some things that I said hurt her.Here's where it gets bad. After lots of talking/emotion/accusations, she says that she wishes that she wouldn't have gone straight from her first marriage right into our relationship/marriage. That she wishes that she would have taken more time for just her because she never has. That she's been doing stuff on her own lately, and that she's loved it. That she doesn't want to have to answer to anybody.I asked her if I'm in danger of losing her. She said she doesn't know how to answer that. She can't answer that.
The next day was relatively fine. Not a word was said, and she acted pretty normal. This morning, I told her that I believed that maybe I had been clingy, but that I would work on it. But that we needed to talk about things, because it isn't fair to either of us for this whole thing to be in limbo. She got very quiet, and when I asked what she was thinking, she said, "I don't know. You just have really bad timing because I'm about to leave for work." After that, she started acting normal again, and left for work (she only works for an hour). Right after work, we have a couples shower to go to together, so we won't have time to talk for at least another several hours.
People, I'm crushed. This girl is my whole world. I know that she isn't a cheater (even if she was, we have way too many mutual friends who would say something). But the thought of losing my wonderful lady who I've had so much fun with for the past five years makes me sick to my stomach.We can't afford counseling, so I turn to you. Help me keep my wife.TL;DR My wife wishes she would have spent more time alone before being with me. Now can't promise a future with me.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Sounds to me like she's letting you know that she is going through a personal identity crisis. She has thought of herself as "half of" something instead of learning how to be an individual.

This can certainly strain a relationship, but it doesn't have to end it if you're confident enough to give her space and support her in her journey for discovering what her OWN values and needs are.

However, there is always the risk of affairs during times like these. It doesn't have to be physical. Even people who are not cheaters can find themselves in an emotional affair or a fantasy affair that doesn't even exist in the material world, but that blocks them from connecting with their partners.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My wife has been acting distant for the past week or two. Not really lovey dovey, sort of dismissing me, and generally uninterested. I asked about it yesterday. I now have my first regret in life.She said that she has felt smothered by me. While I'm at work, I text and call too much. That means she can't get done what she needs to get done. This stunned me a little, and while I was trying VERY carefully to choose my words wisely, apparently some things that I said hurt her.Here's where it gets bad. After lots of talking/emotion/accusations, she says that she wishes that she wouldn't have gone straight from her first marriage right into our relationship/marriage. That she wishes that she would have taken more time for just her because she never has. That she's been doing stuff on her own lately, and that she's loved it. That she doesn't want to have to answer to anybody.I asked her if I'm in danger of losing her. She said she doesn't know how to answer that. She can't answer that.The next day was relatively fine. Not a word was said, and she acted pretty normal. This morning, I told her that I believed that maybe I had been clingy, but that I would work on it. But that we needed to talk about things, because it isn't fair to either of us for this whole thing to be in limbo. She got very quiet, and when I asked what she was thinking, she said, "I don't know. You just have really bad timing because I'm about to leave for work." After that, she started acting normal again, and left for work (she only works for an hour). Right after work, we have a couples shower to go to together, so we won't have time to talk for at least another several hours.
People, I'm crushed. This girl is my whole world. I know that she isn't a cheater (even if she was, we have way too many mutual friends who would say something). But the thought of losing my wonderful lady who I've had so much fun with for the past five years makes me sick to my stomach.We can't afford counseling, so I turn to you. Help me keep my wife.TL;DR My wife wishes she would have spent more time alone before being with me. Now can't promise a future with me.
I doubt very much that there isn't someone else. She only works for an hour? where? who's there with her? So you call her during this hour? The part in bold is a huge red flag. She doesn't want to anwer to anyone? What kinds of things does she like doing on her own? If she really feels regret over the marriage then there might not be anything you can do, but if there is someon else, then you still have a chance but you have to find this out for sure and react accordingly. Since she's so unhappy, bring up the topic of divorce, just to see how she reacts to it. There is so much you proly don't know yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.