Votes: 3 13.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sister told me yesterday that her daughter--my niece--just had her 2 month anniversary with her boyfriend so they went out shopping together to celebrate. she just thought it was the cutest thing ever. but I don't know, its kind of upsetting to me. kids are moving really fast nowadays aren't they?

is it really appropriate for a 9-year old girl to have a boyfriend? or am I just an old dinosaur?

I don't have any kids yet but I wouldn't want my daughter dating at that age..

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My son is 12 and started with the boyfriend girlfriend thing a couple years ago. Girls always seem to start earlier than boys do.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your sister is monitoring them when they are together and not allowing them to spend a lot of alone time it should be fine. As long as it stays "cute" and doesn't get serious.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
depends on how you define that. I had gf when I was that age and that was 44 years ago.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My son had a "girlfriend" a couple years ago (that would put him at 10 & 1/2), she came over once or twice, he bored her to death with legos, she whined to us about him not paying enough attention to her (they start young...ha...), and that was the last I heard of them. They "broke up" one week later.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree it's probably a "kid thing" and maybe harmless, but letting two 9 year olds refer to each other as bf/gf and have "anniversaries" sets a precedence for future years. I have a 10 y/o and 13 y/o and neither has had a bf (nor will until I'm dead and buried).

I say it's not appropriate at that age and should be discouraged.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My son had a girlfriend last year. It lasted 4 months, she came over here (no closed doors policy) which they would play video games. He'd go over to her house (same rules applied) and it was cute. He was 12 at the time. They broke up at almost 5 months in. I was amazed it lasted longer than some adult "relationships".

But I don't think I'd be okay with 9 and "dating". I still have a year or so until my other children get to that age, so we'll see.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
childhood bf/gf thing, no problem its pretty innocent. Now celebrating monthiversaries?? That sounds completely not age appropriate. This is grade 4 we're talking about here.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
At that age my daughter had 'boyfriends' which meant they hung out together on the playground. That is sweet. But the parents actually taking them somewhere for a 'date' is rushing things.

My daughter is almost 14 and has her first 'boyfriend' who gives her hugs in school and talks via facetime every evening. But if she wanted to 'date' - I'm not sure I'm cool with that unless it's in a group setting.

Right now I'll drop her at the movies/shopping center/mall to hang out, eat a meal, watch a movie with friends but not an actual date. So far no first kiss, either. I'm sure that's coming. I like this boy and he's a good first boyfriend. I've met him on several occasions at school. He sets the bar high.

·
Banned
788 Posts
is it really appropriate for a 9-year old girl to have a boyfriend? or am I just an old dinosaur?
That depends on how old the boyfriend is.

I took a girl out on a date once, she seemed a lot younger then her stated profile age. Before things progressed too far in the back of the car, I said to her, "be honest, how old are you?"

She held up the fingers of both hands and said "This many!"

I dropped her off at her house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.