Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are test to differentiate the two, piriformis syndrome from sciatica. I have battled with lower back, buttocks and sometimes (but rarely) leg pain on the right side for a decades. It comes and goes, so it is not something I have had to deal with on a daily basis. Interestingly enough, it has done little to keep me out of the gym or from other activities. But, there are times when it gets so bad, I struggle to get out of bed. It can last a week or more. If I were to sit for extended periods of time during these episodes (in a traditional chair), I could barely get up.

Years ago, I went to chiropractor to see if this would help; that become a never ending cycle of appointments. I told my primary care physician about it. She asked me if I wanted to get an x-ray and a consultation with an orthopedic doctor. I sort of brushed it off and decided I could just continue to do self-PT exercises that seem to help.

After all this time, I finally discovered the one thing that has helped above all else, it was my daily routine at my office (work and home office). I have a desk in both places that allows me to go from sitting to standing with the push of a button. So, for every half hour that I am at my desk, I stand for 20 minutes, sit for eight and move away from my desk for 2 minutes to walk around. And, when I am sitting I sit on stool that looks like an accordion without a back rest. I am not suggesting that anyone else who has these back issues run out and do the same. I am just saying what has worked for me.

So, anyone else out there who has chronic back pain problems? What do you do or have done to relieve the pain?

·
Premium Member
5,450 Posts
Boy, @Ikaika , I'm not doctor but that sounds more like piriformis syndrome to me than sciatica, mainly because of your description of gluteal pain.

I myself broke L5 in a gymnastics accident when I was 12, and I've had lower back problems ever since. It's largely under control but every now and then, for no apparent reason, my disc will slip a bit and irritate the heck out of my sciatic nerve. The sensation is literally down my leg to my toe, but it truly feels like a pathway of nerves on fire, not like my glute is hurting.

There is a pretty easy test for piriformis syndrome vs. sciatica: sit on a chair, cross your legs so your affected leg is on top of your unaffected leg, put the ankle of your affected leg on the thigh of your unaffected leg so that your knee is making a triangle and out to the affected side (some folks are more flexible here, but put your knee as low as it can painlessly go). Put one hand on your ankle to stabilize it and another on your knee, and just lean forward (like you are stretching your glute). Here's a YouTube:
If it hurts like the ****ens to do that--positive for piriformis

·
Premium Member
24,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy, @Ikaika , I'm not doctor but that sounds more like piriformis syndrome to me than sciatica, mainly because of your description of gluteal pain.

I myself broke L5 in a gymnastics accident when I was 12, and I've had lower back problems ever since. It's largely under control but every now and then, for no apparent reason, my disc will slip a bit and irritate the heck out of my sciatic nerve. The sensation is literally down my leg to my toe, but it truly feels like a pathway of nerves on fire, not like my glute is hurting.

There is a pretty easy test for piriformis syndrome vs. sciatica: sit on a chair, cross your legs so your affected leg is on top of your unaffected leg, put the ankle of your affected leg on the thigh of your unaffected leg so that your knee is making a triangle and out to the affected side (some folks are more flexible here, but put your knee as low as it can painlessly go). Put one hand on your ankle to stabilize it and another on your knee, and just lean forward (like you are stretching your glute). Here's a YouTube:
If it hurts like the ****ens to do that--positive for piriformis
I hear what you are saying, the chiropractor diagnosed me with sciatica. There are vague symptoms associated with it. I have done these exercises, and both appear to develop that suggests I have one or the other or both.

Whatever the case, my new office routine has done more for me than anything else I have tried.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I’ve been dealing with something similar to That for few years too. Standing slightly bent, like when doing dishes or sweeping is a killer. At one point it was so bad, I got physical therapy, went for accupuncture, and massages. It really helped.
now it is back, but I still have print outs of exercises from the therapist, and tgat really helps. I am doing them daily.
One excercice I discovered myself right before they closed gyms: setting treadmill uphill, and going veeery slowly, so the muscle in my butT (that’s where my pain is...) is slowly stretching. I let my leg go back very slowly, at aroun 2mph, as far as I can stretch. Of course, warm up first.

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I have sciatica thanks to a car accident. If the pain never radiates down your leg, it does not sound like you have sciatica. Also, when the nerve is inflamed, the 'cheek' will feel warm to the touch while the other 'cheek' can feel like an ice cube. The best preventive measure is to not sit for too long or stand for too long. Vary the routine.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I don't know about the diagnosis, but I echo the benefits of a veridesk and frequent movement. Those things have made my work day much easier

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I sit a lot, and, if I'm not consistently exercising, my back will go out if I move in a weird way. So, I exercise - mainly yoga, but some cardio too.

The last time my back hurt, I went through the following video, and it helped a lot:

So, anyone else out there who has chronic back pain problems? What do you do or have done to relieve the pain?

·
Super Moderator
28,759 Posts
I had terrible sciatica, it got to the stage that I could only walk a few yards without stopping.

The doctors were not able to help (at one point they misdiagnosed it as a bad hip!) So eventually my wife hot talking to a published author who advised her to get me to try COQ10. I did and the pain began to leave within a couple of days.

It works well for me.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I was diagnosed with piroformis syndrome in 2016. Missed 4 months of work waiting for it to heal. Finally got back to work, was doing well for about 5 months and while doing my Thanksgiving shopping I picked up a turkey in the grocery store and bam...severe pain again. Turned out to be a severe disc herniation where the disc was out much farther than usual. By the time this diagnosis was made my right leg was paralyzed. Had spinal surgery in Dec 2016 and my back has been so much better since then. I could walk again about 10 hours after the surgery.

if you haven’t had an MRI looked at by a spinal surgeon you might want to do that. My original MRI clearly showed the herniation the first time but it was misread because the herniation was much more extensive than usual so the original doctor missed it and diagnosed piriformis syndrome.

good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I had terrible sciatica, it got to the stage that I could only walk a few yards without stopping.

The doctors were not able to help (at one point they misdiagnosed it as a bad hip!) So eventually my wife hot talking to a published author who advised her to get me to try COQ10. I did and the pain began to leave within a couple of days.

It works well for me.
for how long did you have to take COQ10? and what strength?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts