Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents helped us with a down payment for a house, ~50k several years ago. They said we can pay them back when we can, but weren't really strict about it and followed it up. I figured when we can start paying some of it back to them, we will. They've helped us with more too money wise but didn't say anything about paying them back, they looked at it as they could help us, they wanted to and so they did (this is all towards the end of professional and grad school for husband and me).

We had one month where we were selling & buying a house at the same time (recently) and we needed help with one month mortgage. Husband's parents helped us. Obviously it wasn't a lot but they still helped us and said pay us back when you can.

So now we're in a better financial place, but it will take time to pay my parents back. We owe very little to husband's family. He insists we pay them back first because it will take longer with my family. I said all of a sudden you're in a rush to pay your parents back when all this time we've borrowed a lot from my parents and you never seemed to care, just kind of taking it for granted. My parents are better off financially but it shouldn't matter, his parents are fine too, we never would have taken it from them if we thought they needed it so badly. And they haven't brought it up, just husband thinks oh it's quicker to pay them back first.

But honestly, I feel like it's more of him having an allegiance to his family and just taking mine for granted. Who is right? I don't like pitting our families against each other but he seems to so easy to accept help from mine but not ever bringing it up on his own or seeming so appreciate of it. Now it's the one time his parents helped us and they've moved to the top of the priority list on who to pay back? I think it's unfair. His parents have helped his siblings with other things in the past (plastic surgery, house etc) but never my husband. He's always done better for himself than his siblings. I guess this doesn't matter either but I feel like it's unfair.

I don't know if this makes a difference at all but husband has been working while I am at home with our little kids. I will (hopefully) be going back to work within the next few years.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hmmm. Logistically, you can be out of one of your debts quicker if you pay the smaller one first. I'd still want to give a little to my parents though so they don't think I forgot them.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Money and family dont mix. If I have to give money to a family member I have a rule - it is considered a gift. Period. No expectations on payback. Want to pay me back? Fine, but Im not even sure I want it - and I will never bring it up. If I cant live with that rule, then I/we dont give it.

Sounds a little bit like what you got. No serious expectations.

Buy I applaud you both for trying to pay them back.. both of them.

Here is my 'soloman' solution... figure out how much you can afford to pay back each month. 50% goes to one, 50% goes to the other. Pretty soon, his parents will be paid off and 100% will then continue to go to your parents. right?

I dont think there needs to be too much conflict here. Its stressfull because money is tight.. just figure out your budget and go with it. You should both be able to agree on this, or something like it.

If 'who gets paid first' is an issue, then just pay both of them.

This isnt a bank you are paying back so its not like you to need to make a minimum payment or pay off the amount all at once - there is no interest being accrued - you are not gaining anything by paying someone sooner - and one side is no more deserving than the other - they both helped you and both deserve consideration regardless of amount.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
From a pure efficiency perspective it would be better to pay his parents off first to get the loan off your back.

I don't know if he has any other emotional reasons for wanting to pay his folks first but financially it makes better sense.

Reactions: gbrad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Money and family dont mix. If I have to give money to a family member I have a rule - it is considered a gift. Period. No expectations on payback.

Sounds a little bit like what you got. No serious expectations.

Buy I applaud you both for trying to pay them back.. both of them.

Here is my 'soloman' solution... figure out how muh you can afford to pay back each month. 50% goes to one, 50% goes to the other. Pretty soon, his parents will be paid off and 100% will then continue to go to your parents. right?

I dont think there needs to be too much conflict here. Its stressfull because money is tight.. just figure out your budget and go with it. You should both be able to agree on this, or something like it.

If 'who gets paid first' is an issue, then just pay both of them. This isnt a bank you are paying back so its not lke to need to make a minimum payment or pay off the amount all at once.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. My parents don't really have any real expectations of us paying it back. This is how it's been my whole life, they live pretty 'comfortably' and have paid for my things always (college etc). So now that husband's family expects it (which is NOT the vibe I got from them but husband is adamant about is) I am annoyed that he never felt 'adamant' about paying my parents back.

But YOU are right, there really doesn't need to be a big problem about this. We can agree to pay both the same at first and his parents will quickly be paid back. I think my parents will just either take it and save it for our kids OR just say 'its ok, don't worry about it'.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
From a pure efficiency perspective it would be better to pay his parents off first to get the loan off your back....financially it makes better sense.
It may make them feel better emotionally - but it makes no difference financially I would say. Certainly isnt going to cost them a single penny more in any case, right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may make them feel better emotionally - but it makes no difference financially I would say. Certainly isnt going to cost them a single penny more in any case, right?

Correct. There is no 'interest' with them. Though writing all of this out makes me realize we're pretty damn lucky and should not be fighting about something like this. Instead, split up the paying back, and move on with our lives. And appreciate the caring and generous people around us.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
money is the great family killer - make sure you and your husband come to agreement. Its hard when he feels obligated and you feel obligated and maybe he thinks your family can 'afford it'.. but that isnt really the point.

Its about fulfilling multiple obligations and trying to keep hard feelings at bay. Do what you can and maybe this can all be drama-free. The best thing you can do at this point is try and establish a reasonable, comfortable budget and try and stick to it.

If its easier, funnel money onto a seperate savings account and write them a check once a year. It can feel like less of an ...uhm....obligation. Monthly payments can feel horrible for both the receiver and the giver when its family involved. Resist the temptation to use it for your own though - that can be hard too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
money is the great family killer - make sure you and your husband come to agreement. Its hard when he feels obligated and you feel obligated and maybe he thinks your family can 'afford it'.. but that isnt really the point.

Its about fulfilling multiple obligations and trying to keep hard feelings at bay. Do what you can and maybe this can all be drama-free.

Yes this is good to hear. It's funny because the other day I was reading something and thought, wow, yeah my husband and I RARELY argue about money. The only time we really argue is regarding in-laws but not money. Now I'm knocking on wood while I say that.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
how about taking a loan out and paying both sets of parents back....

its called being fair.

hate when peolpe don't squre their debts up.

yuck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE!

Ok I told him what I thought and he was coming to me at the same time to say sorry too (I apologized to him as well). He said he could ask his parents maybe we could wait until I go back to work, IF its ok with them. If not we could pay them both the same and obviously his parents would be paid back quickly while mine would take awhile.

Then we hugged it out :D:smthumbup:

Thank you guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how about taking a loan out and paying both sets of parents back....

its called being fair.

hate when peolpe don't squre their debts up.

yuck

That's what we're doing now :scratchhead: Both of our parents WANTED to help us while we were in professional & graduate schools. In fact, we weren't begging them, they suggested it to make life a bit easier for us and to help us in terms of being able to start a family. If they knew it would take some time for us to pay them back (and we're obviously doing it now) and THEY were fine with it, why is that a bad thing? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I have a $300k mortgage and a $10k car loan. If I get a $10k bonus, it makes sense to pay off the car loan. It makes no sense at all to pay $10k down on the mortgage and ignore the car loan simply because I took the mortgage out earlier. And paying off the car loan first doesn't mean I have more allegiance to the car loan bank than the mortgage bank. That's just sillyness.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Well no, but it is a bit of financial stress off their backs.

They only have the one loan to worry about instead of both.

I always prioritize smaller debt to do away with it, in the long run it allows me to put more resources towards the larger debt to pay it off more effectively as well.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Actually you always pay extra resources to the higher interest debt. If interest is equal (or zero as is the case here) then you pay down the lower balance first. Then you divert the payment you were making on the lower balance to the next balance so that the payment amount builds.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Actually you always pay extra resources to the higher interest debt. If interest is equal (or zero as is the case here) then you pay down the lower balance first. Then you divert the payment you were making on the lower balance to the next balance so that the payment amount builds.
Yeah but I think we're talking interest free loans here.

I think.

:)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well no, but it is a bit of financial stress off their backs.

They only have the one loan to worry about instead of both.

I always prioritize smaller debt to do away with it, in the long run it allows me to put more resources towards the larger debt to pay it off more effectively as well.
This is the Dave Ramsey method as well. Paying off a small debt helps you feel good and build momentum towards paying off the next one.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yep. Now add in the complication of simultaneous interest free debt to multiple relatives, and it gets a little foggier about who should be paid first. This is more about protocol and in-law relationships than if paying a smaller debt off first is of practical value.

At least, that's my thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.