Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering, is chewing tobacco or smokeless tobacco, like Skoal, popular in urban areas, or is that more a country thing? Do you know anyone who chews tobacco? Do they sell a lot in your stores?

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Lol southbound! I just love the threads you make. As far as I know... I've been in both city and country places and seen people chew in both places. I suppose its kind of equal? Although it does seem more popular in a country atmosphere then city.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: southbound

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
"If your mother keeps a spit cup on the ironing board, you might be a redneck!"-Jeff Foxworthy

When I enlisted in the Army, I had no idea what snuff and dip were. But there are a LOT of redneck boys in the service, and the stuff was EVERYWHERE. You could always tell, they had a drooling bulge under their bottom lip and always reeked of wintergreen. Two ghastly examples of tobacco in the Army for me:

We were hanging out in the barracks in Korea, and I was drinking a Coke. I left the room for a minute. In the time I was gone, a redneck from Louisiana needed a spit cup, and well, any port in a storm, as they say. I came back and took a swig, and my mouth was now full of the vilest, wintergreen flavored chunks of god-knows-what! Lesson learned: NEVER leave an open container around a redneck!

Then, when I was in the 82nd Airborne, there was this female parachute rigger from Tennessee, and we liked each other, and she was darn cute, too. So, my buds told me to go talk to her, and so I approached her: she was talking to her fellow riggers, and she had her back turned to us. Just as I'm about to reach her, she turns her head away from them, and lets fly with this disgusting gob of brown spit that lands nearly at my feet. Never had I gotten over a girl so damn fast in my life!:(

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've lived far and wide and would say it is more of a "country" thing, although it is not exclusive.

It is a truly disgusting habit.

Reactions: humanbecoming

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"If your mother keeps a spit cup on the ironing board, you might be a redneck!"-Jeff Foxworthy

When I enlisted in the Army, I had no idea what snuff and dip were. But there are a LOT of redneck boys in the service, and the stuff was EVERYWHERE. You could always tell, they had a drooling bulge under their bottom lip and always reeked of wintergreen. Two ghastly examples of tobacco in the Army for me:

We were hanging out in the barracks in Korea, and I was drinking a Coke. I left the room for a minute. In the time I was gone, a redneck from Louisiana needed a spit cup, and well, any port in a storm, as they say. I came back and took a swig, and my mouth was now full of the vilest, wintergreen flavored chunks of god-knows-what! Lesson learned: NEVER leave an open container around a redneck!

Then, when I was in the 82nd Airborne, there was this female parachute rigger from Tennessee, and we liked each other, and she was darn cute, too. So, my buds told me to go talk to her, and so I approached her: she was talking to her fellow riggers, and she had her back turned to us. Just as I'm about to reach her, she turns her head away from them, and lets fly with this disgusting gob of brown spit that lands nearly at my feet. Never had I gotten over a girl so damn fast in my life!:(
:rofl: Yep, don't leave an open container around this part of the country. I will have to say that it's not popular for girls to use it here, although i have heard of it. I take it that tobacco was a deal breaker for you. Hey, of all the problems we've had on this forum, I don't think chewing tobacco has ever been a topic of distress:rofl:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Its here in Denver... I have been a user for 34 years now.

A good unscientific approach is look at the gas station. If they are stocking 15+ brands of smokeless, you can bet there is a consumer demand for it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
. Just as I'm about to reach her, she turns her head away from them, and lets fly with this disgusting gob of brown spit that lands nearly at my feet. Never had I gotten over a girl so damn fast in my life!:(
Heh. My city-based Army Guard unit had a detachment out in the country. When we deployed, we all went together, and nearly 100% of the country soldiers, male and female, were on the chew. Nothing like seeing a cute girl with a baseball-sized chew in their cheek.

After about a month together, most of my unit got on it as well (I never did). We'd march away from a company formation, and the ground would be covered with chew spit.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Its here in Denver... I have been a user for 34 years now.

A good unscientific approach is look at the gas station. If they are stocking 15+ brands of smokeless, you can bet there is a consumer demand for it.
Weird....I've never seen anyone using it around here. It was pretty common to see it when I lived in Wyoming, but I can't recall ever seeing someone do that down here.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Weird....I've never seen anyone using it around here. It was pretty common to see it when I lived in Wyoming, but I can't recall ever seeing someone do that down here.
Might be because we're more "civilized" about it now? Most the dippers I know do it driving, when drinking, 'out in the field', and sometimes at work depending on company policies. It's not the old RedMan leaf stuff that is popular anymore like those old baseball things. Those little 'bandits' or a small pinch (you used to do 'big' redneck dips in your bottom front lip)... easy to conceal, not a ton of spitting gobs of spit. We also don't try to 'style' that can ring in our pants.. Also, we are a lot more aware of the 'taboo' of it; Seldom will you see me spit in public or on a sidewalk or anything like that. There is also sort of 'only do it in casual places' type rules. No opera and skoal. But tonight I'm seeing Zombie and Manson, so I'll be dipping. Just watch out for empty coke cans or beer bottles around me :p

Also, there aren't a ton of us out there. Chewing is more socially acceptable than smoking; No smell or disturbing smoke. And lol... there are a lot of closet dippers out there that bum dips when we are doing "manly" things like shooting or up in the mountains messing around.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to work in an airplane maintenance hanger for a major airline, with hundreds of mostly male mechanics. Due to the nature of the job, there were people from all over the country that moved to Minneapolis.

I would say 20% of them chewed. Didn't make a difference if they had a southern drawl, or a New Yawk accent, or a midwest Farrrrrgoooowww accent.... A lot of them did it. Some were former smokers, that found it inconvenient to go outside in 20 below 0 weather to light up so found an alternative way to get the nicotine.

Had to be very careful when they'd come in the office and set down their 16 oz bottle of of Soda... Always a dead give away when their Mountain Dew was pitch black. And, yes...I did see someone accidentally take a swig once.

And now I'm gagging just remembering it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.