Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...um...yah...my wife's parents have some financial issues and may be leaving their country and moving in with us.

...sigh. I'm sort of okay with it - my wife does love her parents.

There are pluses. My wife misses them. I don't speak the same language, so friction will probably be minimal. Free babysitting.

There are minuses. There's cost. (Probably not a terrible issue.) There's also their marriage. There's some 'cultural' issues. In particular, the mother is somewhat insane and the father occasionally deals with that insanity by not quite hospitalizing his wife. (probably 1-2 times a year).

I'm planning on maintaining a distance, not bailing either of them out, and really just having absolutely no interest in their marital affairs. I won't really be comfortable with the bruises. But, they won't change and I'm fairly confident the mother would shoot me if I encouraged a divorce. Oh, and living on opposite sides of a duplex.

I admit to some misgivings and would appreciate advice.

--Argyle

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Oh boy

I don't see this turning out well

Just ne sure that you and the wife are on the same page about how you plan to deal with them
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
119 Posts
No matter who you are , living with in-laws calls for disaster. Maybe not severe , maybe not all the time but been there done that and will NEVER do it again. it's hard to live in harmony with your spouse when there are others interrupting the flow.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
No matter who you are , living with in-laws calls for disaster. Maybe not severe , maybe not all the time but been there done that and will NEVER do it again. it's hard to live in harmony with your spouse when there are others interrupting the flow.
:iagree:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah...unfortunately I pretty much agree with everyone else...this is almost universally a recipe for trouble.

You don't seem oblivious to this fact though

So as for advice...

Well...attitude is everything right?

I mean truly it is...so, go into with a positive, giving spirit
and try to use it as an opportunity to be better than "the rest of us".

I'm sure this is rough on them too...money problems and moving to another country

If you were able to forget about the inconvenience this imposes upon you and instead focused on what you can do to make this transition easier for them...they'd probably be very grateful, you'd probably be happier....

And most assuredly you'd be a remarkably enlightened person

(all that said, I hope they make it easier for you to be your "best self" by being considerate and unobtrusive guests...if they're not...this is gonna get mighty tiresome, mighty quick)

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you not have any say in this? I consider my wife's parents insane too and I simply would not allow this. If she threatened to leave me if I didn't let them live with us I would probably take her up on the offer because the marriage would probably be over after a few months of that anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.