Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really sure where to begin. I've been married a year but have only been living with my husband for about 5 months consistently. I came to Switzerland from the US after our marriage and a 6 month wait for a visa. My husband is also from the US but moved to Switzerland for work. I was previously an RN in the states and am now a housewife due to the language and licensing barrier here (am working towards working here as a nurse though via language class and through the red cross)

I feel like I don't know who I married many times. We fight often and in some ways I feel like the fighting is my fault. I often feel like my physical and emotional needs aren't being met and so I lash out at him after my resentment and hurt builds to the point I can't keep it inside anymore. When I attempt to talk to him about my needs or for support, he frequently gets very defensive and angry. I then try to deal on my own terms but this only leads to the built up negative feelings and then the explosion.

I understand where his defensiveness is coming from. I know he is frustrated because he wants to make me happy and feels he is responsible for any unhappiness I have here or with him. I don't want to complain to him I just want to have someone to talk to about my frustrations with the new life here.

Sometimes I am so overwhelmed with the new marriage and new situation and I feel like I'm alone. I am having many personal issues as well such as learning to be dependent, trying to figure this place out, not having family or friends, and feeling less stimulated mentally and socially. I don't even know what area to focus on first. Please help. I'm afraid I am going to sabotage my marriage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmm, you think maybe you can see a marriage counselor (I think that I suggest it all the time). But me and my husband have talked about it ourselves. Or maybe if that's not an option, are you two able to talk about your emotions together? Maybe if you wrote a letter about everything you're feeling to him and told him, he would open up. A common thing I say and my husband has said to me is 'how can I know what's going on if you don't tell me'.

If you tell him these things maybe that can open the door to whether it works out or not, if he's willing to acknowledge it? Or have you already done that?

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
I am not really sure where to begin. I've been married a year but have only been living with my husband for about 5 months consistently. I came to Switzerland from the US after our marriage and a 6 month wait for a visa. My husband is also from the US but moved to Switzerland for work. I was previously an RN in the states and am now a housewife due to the language and licensing barrier here (am working towards working here as a nurse though via language class and through the red cross)

I feel like I don't know who I married many times. We fight often and in some ways I feel like the fighting is my fault. I often feel like my physical and emotional needs aren't being met and so I lash out at him after my resentment and hurt builds to the point I can't keep it inside anymore. When I attempt to talk to him about my needs or for support, he frequently gets very defensive and angry. I then try to deal on my own terms but this only leads to the built up negative feelings and then the explosion.

I understand where his defensiveness is coming from. I know he is frustrated because he wants to make me happy and feels he is responsible for any unhappiness I have here or with him. I don't want to complain to him I just want to have someone to talk to about my frustrations with the new life here.

Sometimes I am so overwhelmed with the new marriage and new situation and I feel like I'm alone. I am having many personal issues as well such as learning to be dependent, trying to figure this place out, not having family or friends, and feeling less stimulated mentally and socially. I don't even know what area to focus on first. Please help. I'm afraid I am going to sabotage my marriage.

If you were working you may not be feeling the way you do. That you are in a strange place is what the problem may be and not the marriage. Do they have night school for people to learn swiss ??? like they have for people in USA to learn english?
You could try that and look into any community services that may include anything to help.
Hopefully in 2 years you won't move to France or somewhere else and have to learn a whole new system and place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.