Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been with my boyfriend 5 months now. He's a great guy, he treats me very well. The problem is, I'm not in love with him. He's done nothing wrong; I simply just don't "feel it". Sometimes I feel I should hold out a little longer and see, but at the same time, if I'm not in love with him by now, will I ever be?

How long did it take for you to be in love?

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
After 5 months, there should definitely be sparks.

I had sparks and "felt it" the first week. Fell in love over time...but at 5 months we were all we could see.

SO he's not the one for you. It happens. Move on.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I do not think there is a way. It is always a rough go but you know what they say about loving and losing vs. never loving at all.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You need to let him go. You can't string someone on because on how you might feel in the future. The future is never guaranteeing. It is extremely unlikely that if you do not love him now that you won't love him then.

I don't believe in letting someone down easy. I don't think there is such a way. In my own experience, I found that they tend to hold out hope that eventually my own feelings will change.

That said, there is a difference between letting someone down easy and doing it tactfully. Make sure he knows that there is no chance in the future so he can get on with his life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the first guy I've officially dated since my divorce one and a half years ago. We seemed to hit it off in the beginning as we had things in common, so I gave it a try. Now, 5 months later, I still don't feel any sparks. I'm not even sure what he feels for me as he has not expressed any verbal feelings for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I hate the thought of hurting him as he is a good man. He never did me wrong. But, I can't help it if I never fell in love with him. It would be unfair to the both of us for me to stay.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Just let it go. It's ok. Seriously. It's called dating. No one is the bad guy. It just happens. Find someone who knocks your socks off...and he is out there ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can't help the way that you feel. That's part of dating. Sometimes, the person will hit it out of the park; others, no. Dating is like an audition. You need to go throw people until a person fits the part :)

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Yup and don't settle for someone who is "just nice" or "decent". Find a man who wants you so badly it hurts. :D And whom you want just as much.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
Thanks for the great advice, everyone. I hate the thought of hurting him as he is a good man. He never did me wrong. But, I can't help it if I never fell in love with him. It would be unfair to the both of us for me to stay.
He'll hurt....for a while.

But then he'll get over it and move on.

Just level with him. He will be hurt, but he won't hold it against you if you are honest.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
Any advice on letting someone down easy?
"I really like you and think you are a good man but this isn't working for me. I think it's best we call our relationship off."

Be honest, don't string him along, don't give him hope for the future.

The best thing you can do is be respectful enough to let him go and not string him along.

This is the first guy I've officially dated since my divorce one and a half years ago. We seemed to hit it off in the beginning as we had things in common, so I gave it a try. Now, 5 months later, I still don't feel any sparks. I'm not even sure what he feels for me as he has not expressed any verbal feelings for me.
I was in your EXACT situation--divorced for a year and a half and met a great guy, dated a few months, but realized it wasn't gonna work.

Why do you feel you need to be "in love" so soon after a divorce? Dude, this guy is your rebound (no offense). Why the rush?

Either you have a spark or you don't. And you don't. And there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is to prolong the inevitable. If by month 5 you feel nothing, cut it off.

Just let it go. It's ok. Seriously. It's called dating. No one is the bad guy. It just happens.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

********************** | ***************************************** | ***************************************

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I hate the thought of hurting him as he is a good man. He never did me wrong.
You are thinking about it the wrong way.

You should be thinking that you are doing the best thing for the both of you. The honest thing and the thing that will save both of you from more pain later on. Its not going to get easier.

It doesnt have to be melodrama. Just get together and say it isnt working. Hopefully, it will go easier than you expect. If not... deal with it and as everyone is saying... move on and let it go. The world isnt going to end - you are both adults.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Let that fish go. He'll find someone that will appreciate him for who he is. & You are free to find someone more compatible with satisfying your feelings.

Time to go fishin' honey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great advice. What everyone says makes a lot of sense. He is a good man and he certainly does deserve someone who can appreciate him in the way a woman should appreciate her man.

I just was not that woman. I will miss his company but I want and need someone who will rock my socks off.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.