Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dating this guy for 4 years.
He was and still is the most kindhearted person I've met, and someone EVERYONE I know turns to when they need help and advice.

But God, if he were only less ambitious, things would have been great for us!
He told me (before we dated) that he couldn't devote enough time to dating due to his hectic schedule, but I was (still am??) a young, stubborn fool!! It's my stupid fault!
I accepted having the relationship revolve around his crazy schedule - but I'm tired of experiencing the same emotions every week on repeat. Happy when we have contact, sad when I've to hold back because he's busy.
We haven't texted for days since he's had work piled on him (even on weekends!!) How can anyone go on like this for years? It's torture for you, and any partner you have!

He rode through pouring rain to meet me a week ago, his bike giving up along the way, but he came to see me anyway. These are the times that make it hard to leave!
And I miss him still! I envy those who can spend quality time together. It physically hurts to not have that contact. To settle for a call after a week, or a short text after days.

I wish he would have been a terrible person, I would've got myself out of this mess earlier, instead I go through the sad- happy -sad stages with no end in sight.

I don't know how to give this up. It will break me.

I'm a fool.

(Sorry. Needed a place to vent.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
He was and still is the most kindhearted person I've met, and someone EVERYONE I know turns to when they need help and advice.

He told me (before we dated) that he couldn't devote enough time to dating due to his hectic schedule, but I was (still am??) a young, stubborn fool!! It's my stupid fault!
I accepted having the relationship revolve around his crazy schedule - but I'm tired of experiencing the same emotions every week on repeat. Happy when we have contact, sad when I've to hold back because he's busy.
We haven't texted for days since he's had work piled on him (even on weekends!!) How can anyone go on like this for years? It's torture for you, and any partner you have!

He rode through pouring rain to meet me a week ago, his bike giving up along the way, but he came to see me anyway. These are the times that make it hard to leave!
And I miss him still! I envy those who can spend quality time together. It physically hurts to not have that contact. To settle for a call after a week, or a short text after days.

I wish he would have been a terrible person, I would've got myself out of this mess earlier, instead I go through the sad- happy -sad stages with no end in sight.

I'm a fool.

Sorry you're going through this! Ultimately you'll have to decide what's best for you, it doesn't sound like that relationship is working for you, though.

Are you sure he's being honest? Is he married or with someone else and keeping you on the side?

I don't care how busy work is, if I'm with someone for 4 years I'm going to be in touch with them daily.

Something seems off, sorry to say.

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
It it all work? Seems odd if he has to work all weekend as well. What is his job and where does he work?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to go on the road for two weeks, work 12-16 hour days 6 days straight, then drive home and back 8 hours round trip on my one day off just to have a few hours in and out of bed with my now wife. In the first few years we were dating.

When a guy wants a woman he finds the time.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
One thing struck me about your story. He rode his BIKE through the rain to see you.
How in hell is a guy who works as hard as this guy not got a car. Or cars!
I worked very long hours as a young man, often going months without having a day off but I was paid very well for my efforts.
I could understand these hours if he was starting in a new job but you’ve been together for four years and he still isn’t prioritizing your relationship.
You need to open your eyes and see this relationship for what it means to him, and him treating you as an option instead of a priority should be self explanatory.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
We haven't texted for days since he's had work piled on him (even on weekends!!) How can anyone go on like this for years?
I think you need to pose this question to yourself, since you have been putting up with it for years.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My H and I were long distance for a couple of years when we first started dating. What I thought was just going to be a summer fling for 3 mos when he was home for his summer break from grad school morphed into a long distance relationship. It was very hard and he was in a very difficult program that made it so I definitely wasn't his first priority during that time. I honestly think our relationship only worked because of the time in our lives when we met each other. I was also busy with my own schooling then and young and had a lot of my own life to live, so I could handle only seeing him a few times a month.

I know the only reason we kept it up was because there was a hard date on the calendar when we knew it would end. During the really hard times we could tell ourselves "only X more months". It would have been unsustainable otherwise. And at my age now I wouldn't enter into a relationship again that was long distance. I'm not cut out for it, no matter how amazing the guy is.

So you have some tough questions to ask yourself. Is there an end in sight? Can you live this way indefinitely?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
One thing struck me about your story. He rode his BIKE through the rain to see you.
I worked very long hours as a young man, often going months without having a day off but I was paid very well for my efforts.
I could understand these hours if he was starting in a new job but you’ve been together for four years and he still isn’t prioritizing your relationship.
You need to open your eyes and see this relationship for what it means to him, and him treating you as an option instead of a priority should be self explanatory.
OP read this and then read it again.

NEVER make ANYONE a priority, who only sees you as an option.

·
Registered
470 Posts
OP read this and then read it again.

NEVER make ANYONE a priority, who only sees you as an option.

To be fair, though, he told her up front about this....

To be honest, most people that run their own companies will work endless hours...Especially now...Ive never worked harder and had longer hours since the pandemic began...There are other careers that are kinda the same...Long haul truckers, people that have jobs that involve a lot of travel, etc....

It could also be that he wants a girlfriend, but wants his "freedom"...That's fine, and it's all good as long as he is up front about it, but then he has to be ready to accept the potential consequences...There are some people that just won't stand for it...

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
IDK what country OP is in, cars are not as common in every country as they are in the USA. And in some societies you might work endless hours just to stay solvent. We need more info.

·
Registered
716 Posts

I'm a fool.

A couple has to be compatible on top of all other factors.
Are you sure he is compatible for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Are you sure he's being honest? Is he married or with someone else and keeping you on the side?

I don't care how busy work is, if I'm with someone for 4 years I'm going to be in touch with them daily.
Oh I know he's being honest. Him cheating is the last thing I need to worry about. (Although I suspect I share my spot as girlfriend with his other older lover, Basketball.) Moreover, we've both been hit on during our relationship and never shied away from talking about it.

I don't understand it either! I wish I'd realized it before we began dating that he doesn't need daily contact as much as I do. I do remember asking him how he 'experiences' the relationship when we're not together, and he told me that I'm always at the back of his mind, and when he's unoccupied.. free, I freely roam about his thoughts. That's great.. but doesn't make up for not spending time enough time with me..

I have to discuss this with him and get myself out of this limbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It it all work? Seems odd if he has to work all weekend as well. What is his job and where does he work?
He was a Financial Analyst working with owners of small companies for the past 4-5 years, and only recently was hired full time by an entertainment company. He told me that he needs to prove himself, and that means taking home work on the weekends :( for now at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IDK what country OP is in, cars are not as common in every country as they are in the USA. And in some societies you might work endless hours just to stay solvent. We need more info.
You're right. I'm not the US, I'm in South Asia. And bikes are much more common here, not to mention more convenient to travel in...

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Have you considered finding someone else who has more time to offer you?

Reactions: TJW

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Just because someone is a good person, doesn’t always mean they are the right person for you.
Exactly. You and this guy, despite the fact that you are both good people, have a HUGE incompatibility. This huge incompatibility existed before you started dating, has continued for the 4 years you have been dating, and will still be continuing 3 decades from now. Be thankful you didn't marry, and move on.

I don't know how to give this up.
Untrue. You do know how.

It will break me.
Says who ? Untrue # 2. Yes, it may make you sad for a time, but your statement that it will "break" you is hyperbolical, and borne of fear.

I'm a fool.
Then, I suppose that Milton S. Hershey was, too. He filed for bankruptcy twice over the failure of his cocoa-driven enterprises. I'll bet some people even told him he was. His choice to sharpen up his strategy and take another go at it is now recorded as one of the great American success stories.

You actually have two GOOD choices here.....behind door #1 is a life with a good man and his hectic schedule..... behind door # 2 could be life with a good man who might wish to spend more time with you.....hell, behind door # 3 might be a good man who would make the choice himself to spend more time with you if he recognized he'd lose you if he didn't......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses and advice. It feels great to have a space to vent and be heard.

I will be bringing this up the next time we meet. I don't know what will come of it, but I don't want to continue experiencing this absence when I'm still young and the dating scene still so new to me. I will prioritize enjoying myself, and hopefully find (compatible) companionship along the way..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts