Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, the city that I live in is one of the coldest places on Earth, which is crazy because… Siberia, folks! I don’t usually mind winter, and love activities like x-country skiing and outdoor skating, but this is bloody ridiculous and downright COLD, even by Canadian standards. I’m currently at work (indoors, might I add), and have a blanket on, on top of my sweater, and there’s a heating pad wrapped around my feet. Oh, and leg warmers! It’s so cold out that I have ice forming on the INSIDE of the doors at home, and there was about a centimetre of ice at the bottom of my bedroom windows this morning. Like, the inside side of the windows. I could take a snow scraper to those suckers. Here’s a nice screenshot to give you an idea of the temperatures with and without wind chill. This was taken at 6:30am, and it's since warmed up to -32 degrees with a wind chill of -41 degrees. Bear in mind, these are in Celsius!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I spent the week before xmas near Calgary and the temperatures were perfect. Just hovering within a couple of degrees of freezing for most of the week.

We went prepared for a lot colder but were pleasantly surprised.

I'm glad I'm not there now.

Stay warm U!

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
:surprise: I cannot imagine what that feels like.

Come and visit? It's almost 100F warmer here, that's a high of 60F today ... which is "chilly" to us spoiled Californians ... some will be wearing down coats today, I kid you not.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brrrr……

(-41°C × 9/5) + 32 = -41.8°F

That's cold!

Hope it does not get any colder.
Luckily, just today and Wednesday are set to be super cold, then it's warming up to the minus mid-20's, and by next week, it's actually warming up quite a bit: anywhere from -7 to -13 (not including wind chill), whoo hoo!! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:surprise: I cannot imagine what that feels like.

Come and visit? It's almost 100F warmer here, that's a high of 60F today ... which is "chilly" to us spoiled Californians ... some will be wearing down coats today, I kid you not.
Honestly, it's biting cold, the only way I know how to describe it. I was shovelling snow last night with a down filled coat and mittens on. It only took 20 minutes or so, but by the time I got inside, my fingers were so cold they were burning, and my face felt tight and prickly, like that pins and needles feeling. It's not very enjoyable, but luckily will be short-lived! We've been pretty spoiled this winter with some really decent weather.

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
Today, the city that I live in is one of the coldest places on Earth, which is crazy because… Siberia, folks! I don’t usually mind winter, and love activities like x-country skiing and outdoor skating, but this is bloody ridiculous and downright COLD, even by Canadian standards. I’m currently at work (indoors, might I add), and have a blanket on, on top of my sweater, and there’s a heating pad wrapped around my feet. Oh, and leg warmers! It’s so cold out that I have ice forming on the INSIDE of the doors at home, and there was about a centimetre of ice at the bottom of my bedroom windows this morning. Like, the inside side of the windows. I could take a snow scraper to those suckers. Here’s a nice screenshot to give you an idea of the temperatures with and without wind chill. This was taken at 6:30am, and it's since warmed up to -32 degrees with a wind chill of -41 degrees. Bear in mind, these are in Celsius!
Same here. Bloody cold!

Stay warm. Glad I can park my truck in the garage.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ok, thats too damn cold for me. Nebraska here in the U.S. is about as far north as I could live.

Have to plug in your car with an engine block heater when it gets that cold?

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
Ok, thats too damn cold for me. Nebraska here in the U.S. is about as far north as I could live.

Sometimes that doesn't even work, or the cable snaps from the cold. It's happened to me. There have been times where you need to wrap the car in a tarp, and have a tiger torch under the car to get the oil to be liquid enough to start it. Very dangerous! But I've done it to get out of the bush in the winter.

Or the battery freezes, and cracks the case with expansion. Then you're SOL without a brand new charged battery.

Tires also get weird past -30C or so. The air inside condenses with the cold, leading to deflation. But you can't just inflate a tire that is that cold, or the rubber will crack. Or, you try to drive away, and the flat spot is frozen into the tire, so it feels like you're driving with four lumpy tires, making steering very difficult. And the rubber doesn't adhere to the ice at all when it's really cold, even if you have really great winter tires. So always pack chains!

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I've heard about how cold it gets in Siberia, but it's a rainy 66F in my neck of the woods. The coldest it's ever gotten here was right at about 0 in '89.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sometimes that doesn't even work, or the cable snaps from the cold. It's happened to me. There have been times where you need to wrap the car in a tarp, and have a tiger torch under the car to get the oil to be liquid enough to start it. Very dangerous! But I've done it to get out of the bush in the winter.

Or the battery freezes, and cracks the case with expansion. Then you're SOL without a brand new charged battery.

Tires also get weird past -30C or so. The air inside condenses with the cold, leading to deflation. But you can't just inflate a tire that is that cold, or the rubber will crack. Or, you try to drive away, and the flat spot is frozen into the tire, so it feels like you're driving with four lumpy tires, making steering very difficult. And the rubber doesn't adhere to the ice at all when it's really cold, even if you have really great winter tires. So always pack chains!
Holy **** that is all too damn cold for me.

So I can laugh at Floridians, Texans, and Southern Californians, but damn, Canadians can laugh at me for being a wuss when it comes to cold.

Reactions: Ursula

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
Holy **** that is all too damn cold for me.

So I can laugh at Floridians, Texans, and Southern Californians, but damn Canadians can laugh at me for being a wuss when it comes to cold.
When I was a kid, I once walked to school and spit up in the air, and it would freeze on the way down and bounce. I got to do it all the way to school, and then again all the way home when I got to school and discovered the doors were locked because it was too damn cold.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You betcha, I think every vehicle in the parking lot is plugged in this week!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Holy smokes, I've never experienced anything like that! Although yeah, tires can get a little fussy in the cold, and my winter tires are already fussy. @Marduk, where were you living when you experienced this?

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
Holy smokes, I've never experienced anything like that! Although yeah, tires can get a little fussy in the cold, and my winter tires are already fussy. @Marduk, where were you living when you experienced this?
Wasn't living there, but I've spent a lot of time working and camping in northern BC, Alberta, and Sask.

It does have it's upsides, though - I remember winter camping as a kid and laying in a field at night, and the northern lights were so bright you could read by them. And it was so quiet and clear, you could hear them - it sounded like gentle whooshing, almost like waves.

My kids have only seen the northern lights a few times because of light pollution.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I'm in Edmonton, Cynthia.
When I was a kid, we stayed in Edmonton at a place called The Red Deer Lodge. It was in the summer, thankfully. We had been visiting friends who lived in Three Hills.

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
Is nitrogen in tires an American thing then? It's such a godsend for me. No more fluctuating tires in weather.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts