Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
16,581 Posts
What do you feel presidential means?

Please name some presidential presidents of the past 80 years?

Does it matter if a president isn't presidential?
Because the President is expected to be representative of all of his constituency, minority and majority alike, there should be absolutely no room for their superego, their "braggadociousness," telling boldface lies and unsubstantiated falsehoods, or the overt flaunting of their wealth, rank, or perceived intelligence!

And certainly someone who does not coddle up to or play "footsie" with oligarchs, potentates, and dictators!

"Presidential Presidents" within the scope of my lifetime would have to include:

Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 41, and Obama.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I don't expect a whole lot from politicians. I understand that self-interest will often trump (if you'll excuse the expression) the interests of their constituents. Nonetheless, I expect them at least to not be a bigger and more blatant ******* than I am.

And trust me, it's not that high of a bar.

·
Banned
8,122 Posts

I don’t care if someone is ‘presidential’ or not. I just expect them to be competent. That applies to literally anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,118 Posts

George HW Bush was very presidential. Jimmy Carter (aside from his Billy Beer brother who was outside of his control) was very presidential. They were also both ineffective one term presidents... meanwhile JFK and Bill Clinton were philanderers and they top most polls as great presidents.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
George HW Bush was very presidential. Jimmy Carter (aside from his Billy Beer brother who was outside of his control) was very presidential. They were also both ineffective one term presidents... meanwhile JFK and Bill Clinton were philanderers and they top most polls as great presidents.
Yep.
If someone is likable or charismatic, they get elected... and they get a pass for being a slimeball.

No different than a bunch of 10th graders voting for student council.

We never really grow up.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts

It is a good question.

The head of state has the job of being figurehead of a nation, which is why it does not compare exactly to that of being a PM.

How do you feel he does against other heads of state, such as the Queen?

·
Super Moderator
12,750 Posts
Matt,
Even his supporters in the US dislike his constant self promotion and his tweets and the way he lashes out at people who he dislikes or disagrees with.

If he really is great, why does he have to tell us so often.

Having thought about it, Presidential seems to mean, stiff, formal, polite, diplomatic.

·
Super Moderator
28,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt,
Even his supporters in the US dislike his constant self promotion and his tweets and the way he lashes out at people who he dislikes or disagrees with.

If he really is great, why does he have to tell us so often.
Because he is the exact opposite of Presidential? :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Politics aside, I never thought of Trump as classy. Whether watching his gold-plated self promotions for the last decades, or his annoying Apprentice antics. I always say money doesn't buy class.

I think it hit me this morning on my drive to work. He was speaking to a group of veterans for D-day. Even when he tries to sound formal and somber, something is just missing. I wish i could explain it better.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Politics aside, I never thought of Trump as classy. Whether watching his gold-plated self promotions for the last decades, or his annoying Apprentice antics. I always say money doesn't buy class.

I think it hit me this morning on my drive to work. He was speaking to a group of veterans for D-day. Even when he tries to sound formal and somber, something is just missing. I wish i could explain it better.
I thought his D-Day speech was great.

·
Registered
733 Posts
the problem with the term "presidential" is there is no formal definition, so it can mean anything to anyone.
and there have been other presidents who fit the popular use of the term whose job performance was less then stellar.

so I say....SO WHAT if Trump doesn't act in a way that others seem to feel is so important. Overall his agenda seems (to me) to be working and he has done things that other's have said "cant be done" (Obama saying we would never see 3%GDP again).

in the working world...I have had plenty of higher level bosses I thought were scum bags, yet they were effective and successful at what they did. I didn't have to like them personally, yet their good decisions for the company secured MY job and prosperity.

trump haters hate on, but my bet is he will win re-election with a larger majority then the first go around.

·
Super Moderator
12,750 Posts
He has bragged about his medical deferment. What I mean is, he has sort of let us all know that he was special (rich) enough to be able to get a doctor to give him a medical excuse that was not true. He was very active playing golf that year.

This puts him in a difficult position when speaking to vets.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Because he is the exact opposite of Presidential? :D
Presidential or politician he is not. Businessman and someone
who wants things done as cheaply as possible and quickly. Yes
Do politics and gov. work that way NO. Millions of dollars is a lot
to a businessman and tax payers but pocket change to some
politicians.

His tweets are usually in response to media attacks on him. He said this
or did that. Some of the never ending crap I have heard I don't blame him.
Policies are one thing to debate him on, just attack is another. If someone
attacks him in the media ( with out factually basis ) he will reply. I don't
blame him and actually applaud him for dong so. Strength not weakness,
in the leader of the free world is a damn good thing in my viewpoint.

Do I agree with every policy decision he does NO. If you ask most of the
protestors why they don't like him they will say he is this or that. When asked
for facts they usually have none or repeat media garbage. I think his trip to the UK
was a good one and he acted very diplomatic. His toast to the queen was great!!
Speech's good also. Our first lady was gorgeous!!

In my life time I have been to several formal dinners like those. Everyone is stiff and
usually doesn't want to be there. Tux, ties. none relaxed atmosphere. More will get done after
the show when everyone can relax and talk openly. More usually does get done behind the
scenes anyways.

·
Banned
6,888 Posts

For me, I want my president to have some professionalism, personal self-control (of his emotions, temper, words), and "class." I'm not sure any of that affects his "effectiveness", other than being a popoff could be bad for foreign relations and knee-jerking could make for bad instigation of policy (thank goodness for checks and balances no matter who is president). I may be old school, but I would prefer NOT to have to cringe in embarrassment over my president's lack of emotional intelligence or behavior.

I wasn't a fan of Obama's platforms, but I think he was presidential in that he was well-spoken, professional, articulate, etc. I think Kennedy and Reagan were both presidential. I don't really have much of an opinion on some of the others, except Clinton seemed sleazy to me even before the Monica thing.

It's kind of the national equivalent of not wanting to bring a dirty, foul-mouthed guy with a mullet and prison tats on his face home to meet the parents lol

That said, if I was forced to choose between a jerk who protects our country and people and a suave person who leaves us at risk, spends money like its water, doesn't value life, etc......

I'll take the jerk

·
Registered
733 Posts
ill go with that...Trump can be a jerk. and its exactly what Washington needs given the state of the swamp.

I hope he ruffles even more feathers......because what it is doing is exposing radical agendas that were being hidden from view with soft spoke affluent tongues....on both sides. decency is out the window.....when politics today is nothing more then demonize the other side.

and then we expect the president to be "presidential" when he is treated as anything but that. say what you want but they were attacking this guy before he got in, regardless of what was said on the campaign, and never treated as some one deserving of anything other then the scorn they display.

·
Super Moderator
28,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I remember what happened.

"That Trump! What a great guy he is! What? He's going to stand against Hillary?" :eek:

3, 2, 1 "Orange Man bad! Orange Man bad! I always said he was a no good!"

Yeah. Sure you did. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
think about this...….trump is a SYMPTOM...no the root issue.

the reason he won was his willingness to call out the establishment buffoons, elitists and career politicians. its no wonder the attacks are 24/7.

and people want "presidential". could YOU maintain your cool if you were dealing with these attacks? we need a ruthless person in there and may just have finally found someone willing to take these idiots on at a level they have never experienced.

1 - 20 of 353 Posts