Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas for my wife's birthday we can spend together. I want to do something special for this special day.

We are in mid 40s living near NYC. She absolutely does not like anything extreme, no hot air balloon flight, no jumping, nothing on water.

Also to be clear, I am not looking for ideas in bedroom or sex related, I will handle this myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am looking for ideas for my wife's birthday we can spend together. I want to do something special for this special day.

We are in mid 40s living near NYC. She absolutely does not like anything extreme, no hot air balloon flight, no jumping, nothing on water.

Also to be clear, I am not looking for ideas in bedroom or sex related, I will handle this myself.
Lol, yep got to be pretty clear or you will end up in a 3 some or more.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts

I live fairly close to NYC too. A favorite place for my wife is Crystal Springs Resort in Hamburg NJ. Specifically the Minerals Hotel. Lots of activities in and around the resort, full spa services, etc.

If you are just looking for something to do for a day trip there is obviously tons of things to do their. We really like the Color Factory. It is family oriented, but still very cool for adults. And any time we go to NYC we stop at The Perfect Pint. It is great for just drinks or lunch/dinner. They have great roof top seating. They are at 123 W45th just outside of Times Square

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live fairly close to NYC too. A favorite place for my wife is Crystal Springs Resort in Hamburg NJ. Specifically the Minerals Hotel. Lots of activities in and around the resort, full spa services, etc.

If you are just looking for something to do for a day trip there is obviously tons of things to do their. We really like the Color Factory. It is family oriented, but still very cool for adults. And any time we go to NYC we stop at The Perfect Pint. It is great for just drinks or lunch/dinner. They have great roof top seating. They are at 123 W45th just outside of Times Square
Thank you. Yes, I am looking for something special to do a day trip.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Mid 40's? If it is truly special, both of you get dressed to the 9's, get a limo to pick you up and drive you around, tickets to a live play and then take her to 21 Club, Tavern on the Green or one of the other high priced really old-school famous restaurants. Probably cost a small fortune, but it would be memorable. I was once wined and dined by Investment Bankers in NYC while closing a several hundred million dollar bond issue. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

Alternately, one of the things I did with my wife once was got a limo while in Honolulu and had them pick us up and take us to some of the old school hotel outside bars to have a single drink while we watched as the sun got lower on the horizon. The limbo then took us to the next, etc. until the sunset and they took us back to our hotel.

After a play in London, my wife and I also hopped a cab and asked the driver to take us on a tour of the night sights of the city. Not sure I would do that with a taxi-cab in NYC, but maybe a limo might not rip you off too much.

Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know what your definition of "near" NYC is so this will cover a few options:

Crystal Springs in Hamburg NJ as someone else said can be nice but unless you like golf or a water park, that resort is all there is.

The Madison Hotel in Covent Station NJ is lovely & you can tour Morristown / other historic revolutionary war sites. This is on a train line if you are a NYer who doesn't drive.

Spring Lake & Cape May NJ are both lovely, as are the Hamptons out on Long Island if you have the budget for that. This late in the summer almost everything is booked & what's left is top dollar.

Mohonk Mountain House is supposed to be lovely.

Lake George or the Finger Lakes. There are tons of wine tours up there.

Playing tourist in NYC can be quiet fun especially if you aren't in there all the time. DH & I used to get a an inexpensive room off the blind sites or Hotel Room Tonight & run in 3-4x per year just to have fun.

If you are willing to go a little farther, you can head to the Poconos or Mohegan Sun in CT

Mystic CT is adorable.

Playing tourist in your home town may be an option. Pack a picnic & go to a park near you; walk around, commune with nature, have some wine, nibble on some cheese or each other. ;)

Happy planning.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Take a nice quiet hike through one of the many gorgeous parks we have around here...Its been so wet this summer, that the parks are bustling with flora and fauna.... Harriman State Park and the Great Swamp Refuge come immediately to mind..but there are many others,, either of those are less than an hour drive from NYC Then perhaps go to a nice outdoor eatery, in one of the many little towns that offer that type of dining...Maybe even head out early and do a hike and brunch..

I'd stay the hell out of NYC....That coming from someone that was born and raised in one of the boroughs..Its a complete disaster right now...as I am sure you are probably aware if you live in the vicinity..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you replay your first date? If she's sentimental, it might mean a lot to her that you remember.
Our first date was special and sentimental to me but not exactly what I and she wants to "replay". We did not hold hands or kiss or show any romantic gestures. And it was done in another country where we no longer live.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Our first date was . . . was done in another country where we no longer live.
NYC has food from every country so what about if you incorporate dining in a restaurant that serves this cuisine as part of her celebration . . . kind of a 1st date 2.0 with hand holding, kissing & the romance she missed from your actual 1st date?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NYC has food from every country so what about if you incorporate dining in a restaurant that serves this cuisine as part of her celebration . . . kind of a 1st date 2.0 with hand holding, kissing & the romance she missed from your actual 1st date?
I already planned dinner at a restaurant. I am more interested what do specially and romantically before the dinner so we both will remember this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I already planned dinner at a restaurant. I am more interested what do specially and romantically before the dinner so we both will remember this.
What does the budget look like?

One of the most romantic dinner dates I was ever treated to started by the guy having a limo pick me up at my office. Inside I was gifted with a new outfit: dress, shoes etc. Since you are her husband you should know the sizes or can at least peek in the closet to find out. Add appropriate but sexy underthings for the dress & jewelry. The limo also contained 1 dozen roses & a chilled bottle of champagne. I was taken home & dropped off to change. The limo went & picked up my date & came back for me. We went to dinner & then a Harry Conick Jr. concert at Madison Square Garden. Then the limo took us home.

If you want to go star gazing after dinner you best pack alternate shoes for DW. High heels & the country to get some place dark enough to see stars don't mix. You don't want a tragedy of a sprained ankle.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
There is a guy in another thread that probably has a giant dildo for sale.

Nothing says love like used sex toys .....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts