Talk About Marriage banner
101 - 120 of 161 Posts

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
A genital check when being seen for hemorrhoids is not uncommon. There can be other issues that have similar symptoms that they need to rule out, including STDs. It is there job to look at the big picture. There can also be related conditions that they should look for. As for flopping it around, hard to say without being there. I don't want to discount how you felt, but give the sum total of all the things you ever posted here about these issues leads me to believe you psychology could be blowing things out of proportion.
Please provide links to information as to why genital checks are done when dealing with hemorrhoids. If this were a general physical exam that would make sense, but this exam was focused on hemorrhoids.

There are no "similar symptoms" to hemorrhoids. The are enlarged veins in the rectal area. Pretty simple.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
Okay, so a doctor who is supposedly helping you deal with hemorrhoids says he wants to do a genital exam. What exactly is the connection between hemorrhoids and genitals?

I tried to figure that one out and just assumed that the nurse would speak up if the doctor were out of line. He did an exam of testicles and penis and then proceeded to flop my flaccid penis around as if showing it off the nurse. I have had genital exams in the past and know exactly how they are done. This one was definitely out of line.
Honestly I would have no idea about the connection between the two. I am sorry you had those, they suck. But I can't change my opinion about your thought patterns when it comes to this. Good luck working through it though.

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
No. Not at all. Because you are so apprehensive of being naked with doctors who are trying to help you. That's not good.
Nude is fine. Showing sexual arousal is a whole different issue. They generally have no excuse for putting a patient in that situation.

I'm actually eager for the appointment to check on nocturnal erections and I am quite sure that any monitoring can be done modestly.

My original question was whether women would be comfortable knowing their husband is intentionally becoming sexually aroused in front of another woman.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Nude is fine. Showing sexual arousal is a whole different issue. They generally have no excuse for putting a patient in that situation.

I'm actually eager for the appointment to check on nocturnal erections and I am quite sure that any monitoring can be done modestly.

My original question was whether women would be comfortable knowing their husband is intentionally becoming sexually aroused in front of another woman.
My wife would probably be happy because it means I'm not pestering her, LOL

· Registered
7,373 Posts

It's not in front of "another woman". It's in front of a doctor. And that's the point of the test, right??

· Premium Member
5,832 Posts
Please provide links to information as to why genital checks are done when dealing with hemorrhoids. If this were a general physical exam that would make sense, but this exam was focused on hemorrhoids.

There are no "similar symptoms" to hemorrhoids. The are enlarged veins in the rectal area. Pretty simple.
You can see here why they would check your genitals:

· Registered
17,350 Posts
Honestly, no it would not make me uncomfy however, your situation is very specific. There is not usually any real reason for this to happen medically, but in your case there is, so I would simply be worried about your health.

If we boiled the question down to just "would you be uncomfortable knowing your husband is intentionally becoming sexually aroused in front of another woman" and take away the medical context, my answer would be yes I would be uncomfortable, that's super weird!

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
You can see here why they would check your genitals:

Doesn't speak to genital exam. Interesting. I don't find dealing with hemorrhoids embarrassing, except maybe on the part of other people in discussing the problem.

I had my hemorrhoids banded at a teaching hospital where they asked me to permit students to look on. I did permit students to observe on both visits. The groups were a mix of male and female students. No problem as I had my goods tucked up out of view. On the other hand, I was not good with having an audience when my urologist did a rectal exam for prostate cancer.

Ha! That's an interesting thought. The urology department doing the nocturnal erection check is also a teaching hospital.

· Premium Member
5,832 Posts
Doesn't speak to genital exam. Interesting. I don't find dealing with hemorrhoids embarrassing, except may on the part of other people in discussing the problem.

I had my hemorrhoids banded at a teaching hospital where they asked me to permit students to look on. I did permit students to observe on both visits. The groups were a mix of male and female students. No problem as I had my goods tucked up out of view. On the other hand, I was not good with having an audience when my urologist did a rectal exam for prostate cancer.

Ha! That's an interesting thought. The urology department doing the nocturnal erection check is also a teaching hospital.
Genital warts and a couple other things are on the list that can cause similar symptoms, hence a full exam including genitals.

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Geez. If you were wondering why it was part of the exam, you should have asked why it was part of the exam it's not rocket science.
I felt the nurse would speak up if it were not an ordinary part of the exam. She did not and in the end was obviously out of line. I didn't feel I could get anywhere with a formal complaint as the nurse seemed to be with him and a witness for him, but I did tell the referring PCP what had happened and told him he should not be making referrals to that gastroenterologist.

· Premium Member
5,832 Posts
I felt the nurse would speak up if it were not an ordinary part of the exam. She did not and in the end was obviously out of line. I didn't feel I could get anywhere with a formal complaint as the nurse seemed to be with him and a witness for him, but I did tell the referring PCP what had happened and told him he should not be making referrals to that gastroenterologist.
So in your opinion both the nurse and the doctor, two medical professionals, acted inappropriately and it wasn't just in your head, in spite of the obvious issues you have. You sure this wasn't just you? Because that sounds more plausible than two medical professionals getting their jollies flopping a guys penis around. What did the PCP say about the genital exam?

· Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
So in your opinion both the nurse and the doctor, two medical professionals, acted inappropriately and it wasn't just in your head, in spite of the obvious issues you have. You sure this wasn't just you? Because that sounds more plausible than two medical professionals getting their jollies flopping a guys penis around. What did the PCP say about the genital exam?
What obvious issues? Modesty?

They both acted inappropriately. If you can, please tell me how this incident could be anything but inappropriate. The PCP agreed with me.

Do you honestly think that all professionals are on the up and up? I know quite a few prostate cancer victims regret having that delusion. You can easily find quite a few instances of medical professionals getting out of line. Maybe the most well noted are molestation of our young lady athletes.

101 - 120 of 161 Posts