Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband began taking Paxil (40mg) several months ago and I have noticed a marked change in his personality, for the worse. He cannot recognize it and says I am the only reason why we can't get along and says i am the one who needs to see a counselor after asking him if he would go to marriage counseling together to try an work through this. He refuses to go with me and becomes belligerent about it. Normally he is a very low-key, laid back person.

He has even accused me twice now of cheating on him, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't even have any male friends and i work from home, so I rarely even meet new people. I have no idea where he is getting this idea from but he clings to it viciously. He refuses to talk about our relationship, just repeatedly says "i don't care". We have been together for almost 10 years and NEVER has he been like this. He has been avoiding me completely, not talking or even acknowledging I am in the house. He just comes home and locks himself in his office for the night. We can't even sleep in the same bed together anymore. I could go on and one, but you get the picture.

My question is, could it be the Paxil?? He has shut out all his friends and me, just goes to work and then spends the rest of the time on his computer until bedtime. which by the way has been a huge source of stress for him due to an overbearing and demeaning boss. I know he has been unable to confront him on any level for fear of losing his job. I feel like all that frustration comes home with him and he directs it at me.

I am wondering if i should schedule an appointment with his doctor to talk to her about it in private. If he found out i did this, however, it would send him over the edge i am afraid. He has also mentioned "he hopes he dies soon", and after reading the side effects of suicidal thoughts, naturally i am very worried. I just don't know what to do because he refuses any kind of cooperation. I really feel he needs to see a psychiatrist to talk about his issues in addition to the medication. He is also taking a pill similar to Xanax, although i don't think it is that one, but it is something else for his anxiety disorder. On top of that he will occasionally get drunk to the point of passing out in his bathroom in his own vomit. He is unable to drink casually on any level, instead he drinks to the point of oblivion.

I really need advice because i feel like he is a ticking time bomb. Anyone else have a similar experience with some advice? Please help, don't really know where to turn.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I've tried many different meds and Paxil was the worst one. And he's making it worse by drinking with it.

I agree he needs to see a doctor but gosh getting any man to a doctor is quite an accomplishment sometimes.

·
Banned
5,402 Posts
Yes you need to talk to his doctor and hopefully they won't tell him. I would call ASAP since he is having suicidal thoughts.
Was he taking it for depression or anxiety or both?
You might even want to call the doctor's exchange this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i think i i am going to have to talk to his doc, who also happens to be my doc as well, so that should make it easier. but i do worry about him finding out, things are so bad in our household, i just can't imagine them any worse, and that would definitely take it up a notch.

he is such a private person, i believe he will lose his mind if he finds out i was going behind his back in some way. but there seems to be no alternative because you are right, getting a man to the doc is difficult, not to mention one who keeps repeating that I am the one who "should get the psychiatric help i have been needing for so long", although he has never told me this before. i think he is projecting his problems on me so he will not have to take responsibility for them.

he has said some of the most shocking, hateful things to me while we were arguing as if he were trying to think of the one thing that would make me disappear for good so he won't have to deal with this issue, as i am the only issue he has. part of me feels like his efforts are working to just get me to leave him, but i really just want the man i married back and not this angry, uncooperative stranger.

I am definitely going to call his doc, but i want to have a face to face talk with her because i am sure she sees tons of people and i want to make sure she knows who we are.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was he taking it for depression or anxiety or both?
Posted via Mobile Device
he is taking it for both. he has always been a very introverted person and has been to therapy and taken anti-d's before but that was way before we met. the reason he felt like he needed them again stemmed entirely from his work situation because a boss who treats him like absolute trash. my husband feels like he cannot confront the boss and i think in his mind he feels like the boss has him under his thumb.

he has come home from work so upset that i honestly thought he was going to snap at any moment, he was just completely crazy acting until he calmed down. very uncharacteristic of him in all the time we have known each other.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
OP, Paxil (Seroxat) almost ruined my life, too, but I was fortunate to get off it safely 5 years ago. The following website literally helped save my life:- paxilprogress - Powered by vBulletin

There's lots of good information there, support and tips on weaning off the stuff.

It can be a devil of a drug to get off if you've been on it for a long time, and the weaning schedules doctors used to give (when I started coming off it) simply didn't work. The withdrawal symptoms can be horrendous if one doesn't wean off it properly. It took me 2 years weaning of it slowly, and I managed to do so with manageable w/d symptoms.

Your H needs to talk to his doctor, OP, and that website is a wealth of information about withdrawal techniques.

Reactions: anony2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh my gosh, cosmos, thank you so much for that link! i am going to do some reading there now. i really need to understand this drug better, there has go to be something else he can take because i have never witnessed such a change in a person, especially when we thought this was going to *help* him cope with his anxiety.

i really wish there was some way i could convince him to see a therapist in addition to the drugs because he certainly won't talk to me about anything. he's always been a little on the cold side but now he seems so emotionally detached.

he was prescribed this drug by a doctor who is a general practitioner and she gave him a year's worth of refills without having to come in for a follow up. something just doesn't seem right about that strategy.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
SeptemberBlue, one of the classic side-effects of this drug is lack of emotion, and I remember walking around in a total emotionless fog whilst on it...

After posting the link to you I went in and read some of my old posts there, and can hardly believe the person I was then! There is light at the end of the tunnel, OP, but how your H tapers off this stuff is vital.

I don't know your H's medical history, but if he can get by without the use of SSRIs and rather use a therapist to help with his problems, he will be a lot healthier and happier in the long term.

Reactions: anony2

·
Banned
5,402 Posts
I have been on Paxil since 94 and it helped me immensely. Saved my life.
But it is not the tmright drug for everyone and they usually start at 20 mg. if its not what someone needs it's going to have bad effects.
My husbands dic put him on an antiD for headaches and it changed his personality for the worse. He couldn't see it at all. Finally he started to get dizzy so he stopped taking it and was back to himself in two days.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Paxil conked out on me in under 2 years. It just stopped working.
That's one of the dangers of it. Had you been taking it longer than 2 years you could have ended up with horrendous w/d problems. When it "conks out" like that, it can make people so ill that they have to go cold turkey off it, and that can be extremely dangerous if you've been taking it for a long period of time. Fortunately, I caught it in time and was able to do a slow month by month taper over a period of 2 years.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yes, talk to his doctor asap.

You have a medical crisis on your hands. He is suicidal on this medication.

It could be a combo of the 2. His work situation is causing him so much anxiety.

Don't take anything personally while he is on these meds. He is a very sick man right now.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Xanax and some of the other such type anti anxiety meds like klonopin can cause depression. sounds to me like it is a combination of things causing his problems

SSRI drugs like paxil, Zoloft, lexapro work on one part of the brain. The Doc may put him on Welbutrin which works on a different part

Can he get a different job? I think that is the core of his problem

·
Banned
411 Posts
He has even accused me twice now of cheating on him, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't even have any male friends and i work from home, so I rarely even meet new people. I have no idea where he is getting this idea from but he clings to it viciously. He refuses to talk about our relationship, just repeatedly says "i don't care". We have been together for almost 10 years and NEVER has he been like this. He has been avoiding me completely, not talking or even acknowledging I am in the house. He just comes home and locks himself in his office for the night. We can't even sleep in the same bed together anymore. I could go on and one, but you get the picture.
Yep, that's Paxil. The problem with Paxil is that it has a terribly short half-life in some people. He might take it in the morning and feel great all day, but it wears off, and he'll start to feel the drug withdrawal in the evening. The withdrawal from serotonin drugs really sucks. One thing I experienced when stopping a certain SSRI drug was similar to something called Capgras Delusion. Friends look the same and sound the same, but they don't feel like friends, and it doesn't feel like I can trust them with anything. You might look and sound like someone he knows, but you're not that person. You're some weirdo who lives in the same house as him.

My question is, could it be the Paxil?? He has shut out all his friends and me, just goes to work and then spends the rest of the time on his computer until bedtime. which by the way has been a huge source of stress for him due to an overbearing and demeaning boss. I know he has been unable to confront him on any level for fear of losing his job. I feel like all that frustration comes home with him and he directs it at me.
It did that to me too. It's a very soul-draining medication that probably works best in people who are depressed and overstimulated. Giving it to someone who isn't overstimulated or excitable just makes them tired and withdrawn. Sertraline felt like that too, and apparently fluvoxamine is the worst for that. Citalopram and fluoxetine were both energizing when I tried them, so he can always try those. IMO, fluoxetine works a lot better because it's a very long lasting drug; it doesn't have that sharp up and down roller coaster feeling that citalopram had. The highs on citalopram were amazing, but the lows were very low.

I can understand someone wanting to die while on Paxil. Everything feels so difficult. Taking the garbage out feels as difficult as repainting the entire house.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't take anything personally while he is on these meds. He is a very sick man right now.
i certainly hope so, because some of the things he has said to me a week ago when i tried to talk to him are still resonating and stinging. Example: him telling me that "i hate myself so much because I am overweight and I obsess about my weight". so i say, in jest, well, if i hate myself so much what has kept me from just blowing my brains out? and said "because you are a coward"….. (What???) .... and then he makes a motion to shoo me away and says "go be fat somewhere else". Not to mention being constantly bombarded with accusations that i am completely psychotic and "maybe now i you can finally get the psychiatric help i have needed for years". He has yet to take any responsibility for anything.

to be honest, examples like this are making me question his sanity and what I am still doing here. the only reason i don't just leave is the fact that he has NEVER spoken to me this way and has always been SO laid back and easy going. someone else mentioned it is his job, i believe that totally. i know he has been looking for a new one, but what he does is so specialized, it is very difficult to find an open position, but i know he is trying.

I am currently waiting for a call back from the doc's office. i am praying the doctor will really listen and not be afraid to admit that she has prescribed the wrong meeds and not followed up.

Giving it to someone who isn't overstimulated or excitable just makes them tired and withdrawn
this makes perfect sense, he is normally UNexcitable and after taking the meeds for a while he is completely zombified, unless he is accusing me of cheating on him, which i find completely absurd and paranoid!

I can understand someone wanting to die while on Paxil. Everything feels so difficult. Taking the garbage out feels as difficult as repainting the entire house.
yes! he hasn't cleaned his areas of the house in month and I don't touch them because i want him to wake up one day and be disgusted with the mess he's made and is complacent to live in. the bedroom looks like all the dressers exploded the clothes out of them and i doubt the bedsheets have been changed in months. his office looks very much the same…. but i refuse to clean up after him because it feels like i am accepting his behavior in some way.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i certainly hope so, because some of the things he has said to me a week ago when i tried to talk to him are still resonating and stinging. Example: him telling me that "i hate myself so much because I am overweight and I obsess about my weight". so i say, in jest, well, if i hate myself so much what has kept me from just blowing my brains out? and said "because you are a coward"….. (What???) .... and then he makes a motion to shoo me away and says "go be fat somewhere else". Not to mention being constantly bombarded with accusations that i am completely psychotic and "maybe now i you can finally get the psychiatric help i have needed for years". He has yet to take any responsibility for anything.

to be honest, examples like this are making me question his sanity and what I am still doing here. the only reason i don't just leave is the fact that he has NEVER spoken to me this way and has always been SO laid back and easy going. someone else mentioned it is his job, i believe that totally. i know he has been looking for a new one, but what he does is so specialized, it is very difficult to find an open position, but i know he is trying.

I am currently waiting for a call back from the doc's office. i am praying the doctor will really listen and not be afraid to admit that she has prescribed the wrong meeds and not followed up.

this makes perfect sense, he is normally UNexcitable and after taking the meeds for a while he is completely zombified, unless he is accusing me of cheating on him, which i find completely absurd and paranoid!

yes! he hasn't cleaned his areas of the house in month and I don't touch them because i want him to wake up one day and be disgusted with the mess he's made and is complacent to live in. the bedroom looks like all the dressers exploded the clothes out of them and i doubt the bedsheets have been changed in months. his office looks very much the same…. but i refuse to clean up after him because it feels like i am accepting his behavior in some way.
Because you have seen since a dramatic personality shift since the Paxil, I think you need to make some adjustments. I think you need to treat him like a very sick person. Ignore all his negative talk & not reply back with negativity. Clean his areas so he doesn't have to live in filth. Go into nurse/caretaker mode. That is what a loving wife would do.

Now I am not suggesting that you be a caretaker forever. Wait until you talk with his doctor & get a plan in place. Something is mentally wrong with him - an illness.

·
Banned
411 Posts
him telling me that "i hate myself so much because I am overweight and I obsess about my weight". so i say, in jest, well, if i hate myself so much what has kept me from just blowing my brains out? and said "because you are a coward"….. (What???) .... and then he makes a motion to shoo me away and says "go be fat somewhere else". Not to mention being constantly bombarded with accusations that i am completely psychotic and "maybe now i you can finally get the psychiatric help i have needed for years". He has yet to take any responsibility for anything.
What you're describing is called negative affect. Affect is how a person responds to things. A person with negative affect can interpret random things as insults or personal attacks, so their behavior seems irrational or inappropriate. I think road rage is a good example of negative affect. It just means he's on the wrong drug.

Try not to use the word "wrong" when talking to a doctor. Most of the doctors I've delt with are insecure nutcases. Saying wrong around a doctor is like saying fat around an insecure woman.

Your husband should try taking bupropion and fluoxetine. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is the only dopamine/noradrenaline antideressant on the market, and fluoxetine (Prozac) is the most stimulating SSRI.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.