Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new here. This is my first post

Basically my marriage and job SUCK

Ive been been married for 14 years. We have two kids.

Ive been working in the same career for 16 years.

Ill try to make this quick.

Before I married my wife we were in pre-marriage counseling together AND individual counseling with the same counselor.
While dating he suggested we both make a list of top 10 things we are looking for in a mate.
I made my list, she made hers. We then shared the list.
I basically got a 10 out of 10 from her.
She got a 9 out of 10 from me.

#10 was.....physical attraction, looks, whatever you want to call it.

Basically, I wasnt attracted physically to her. She was overweight and Im attracted to thin athletic women who diet and workout and wear make-up dress trendy and hip.

I never felt right marrying her because of this. I had all these people telling me "Well, looks arent important if you really love her. We all will get old and looks go, then what is left?"

Well, right from our engagement I started trying to change her. We joined the gym and I showed her how to lift weights and we worked out 5 times a week. She was getting really hard and dieting..but she wasnt happy. And I never would give up because I feared that once we had kids she would stop working out and that she only did it so I would marry her..

I think I was right. Its been a slow downhill since then.
She never got back to her former self and only does enough excersise to maintain but as she gets older its proving not enough even to maintain and she is getting wider and softer....VERY slowly because she does workout but maybe only 1-2 times a week, 3 times on rare occassions and then a week or two will go by with no excersise.

Diet is pretty bad.

I work out more than the average guy and Im in well above average shape for my age (44) she is 46.

Now she is getting wrinkly on top of it all. She looks like many 55 year old women I know in the face.

Ive hurt her over and over and over because she feels I should just find her attractive as she is and that love has nothing to do with looks. She feels she is doing fine and in shape and not fat and attractive.

Im tired and lonely . We havent had sex in a month now. Even when we do she needs to dress up sexy for me to even get aroused....also dark lights etc...

I dont see this changing. I dont see her waking up one day going....Jeez, maybe if I workout 4-5 days a week, eat a better diet and wear some make-up Ill be attractive to him.

I dont see myself changing what I find attractive...a flat belly (Im not looking for washboard abs), no rolls of fat hanging over pants, a little muscle, healthy skin, a little make-up and clothes that fit....versus the mens jeans she wears and the pants and shirts that accentuate every roll of fat she has.

We just went on vacation in a big city. I found myself depressed because it was like every women was thin or at least a flat belly and wearing clothes that were feminine and took some time to put into their looks.

Its late Im rambling.

To be continued....but Im open to first impressions and am here to get help and input

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Sorry to hear this, who ever said Looks were not important must have been a female, because to a Male, it IS important, we are visual creatures.

I know some people will bite my head off on here and disagree with me, But honestly, I have told my wife that LOOKS are important, I do NOT want her getting fat, I married a 98Lbs woman, stay within 20 lbs of that....Currently 110lbs after three kids, and now works out, we both work out, because I too was getting a "tummy" So fair is fair right? No reason for me to be out of shape if I ask that from my wife.

But we do activities together, We run, walk, play tennis, things that can be done as a couple. Plus we do a weight routine, she follows the book, "New Rules of Lifting for Women" that give good solid workouts for Women, and it does not take an hour, but I been following New Rules of lifting for Men for a year now and My body ahs taken vcery nice shape...Which she has come to LOVE and other women that have known me all my life have commented, such as my sisters, that I really improved my physique.

Anyway, if you were not attracted to her, why did you date her? Why did you get married? Could there be any other problems with her? Thyroid issue perhaps? A co-worker was chubby and she had a thyroid problem, after seeking a Dr. she corrected it and is thin as a rail now at 40.

Looks only go if you let them, My goal is to be in better shape at 40 then I was at 20....at 38 I am there already.

You really need to discuss this with her.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input

Dont get me wrong Im not angry at you so please dont take it this way...Im just frustrated and confused.

What in my original post made you think we havent been over the issue again and again and again?

Weve been in counseling...4 different people.
They all say the same thing....its MY problem because your wife is attractive and way above average.

Then I say...but not too me....None of them are looking at her physically. She is a very positive outgoing friendly person full of energy and positivity. She had a abusive background and has come a long way so to a counselor she is a huge success in life.

When I talk to my wife this is her response

"It doesnt matter how hard I work out you will never find me attractive. You never have so why should I bother. When I was in my best shape you still criticized me and said I need to get in better shape. I like the way I look and am happy with my body. Other people tell me Im fine and its your problem not mine. You need to stop comparing me to fitness women and athletic/bodybuilder types."

There you have it.
She is partly correct. I AM a perfectionist and compare everything in life, her included, to the pefect ideal. But thats NOT what Im looking for and never have. I just want her to work out on a regular basis and eat a little healthier. Thats it. Because I know if she did that, that over time she WOULD be in the best shape she could and she would fit into clothes better and have a better self image and I would respond more naturally and it would be a domino effect.

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
Bagleboy

Interesting post. You focus almost exclusively on your wife’s physical appearance. Not her beauty of face or her personality, talents, skills as a mother. So therefore appearance is your number one concern. I feel that physical appearances hold different values from person to person. I focus less on physical appearance and more on someone as a person. To me it is not as important as who that person truly is and that is why I find my wife much more beautiful than the average guy. You and your wife hit critical points in your last post. She states that no matter what she does you won’t be happy. If that is what she feels then she is not motivated to stick to a rigid program. You state that if she lost the weight it would help her self esteem. This shows empathy on your part, not just a physical need. The two of you need to discuss and find common ground. See if you can find goals that you would both be happy with you have a chance to improve things for both. And if she makes an effort, give her great encouragement and love for it. That will motivate her as much as anything and help with her self esteem. Also In my opinion, knock of the dress up games and low lights. That’s not going to help her in the self esteem department either. If you are in the right mind set and love your wife you shouldn’t need that to be aroused. This may be difficult for you but think about it. You in turn may need to relax your expectations for her physical appearance and focus more on her many other positive attributes.

P.S. Sorry your job sucks, we've all been there at one point or another. :D

·
Banned
221 Posts
I suggest you at least start buying her some clothes that flatter her figure first. Arrange a makeover if you can, disguise it as a
"spa day" if possible, this might help a little.
To be honest though, it's more than likely a lost cause with women and asking them to change.

I had a similar problem with my ex-girl friend of 10 years and so know somewhat what your going through. Mine knew how to dress like a girl, she was still young and she wore some make-up. The issue I was having with her was the weight thing.

Long story short, will elaborate if needed, but I started working out to loose weight. She joined in and I had to tone down my work-outs (jogging) to match her speed and stamina and she wasn't loosing weight.
I also started watching what I ate and as a result lost even more weight, she didn't watch her portions and of course struggled in making any noticeable change.
It did bother me a little bit because she would constantly complain about wanting to see progress but would not do what needed to be done, in my opinion.
The more I tried to help, positively encourage her, the more she rebelled. Looking for attention from other guys to feed her ego and boost her self esteem and ignoring my feelings. The easy fix of looking for some guy whom likes fat chicks instead of loosing weight to please the man she was with. This just ended up exacerbating an already existing problem I was having with her doing this type of thing (like I said, long story short but can elaborate if needed) and I ended up eventually leaving her for a tight tone 19 year old. Note I left because of what she was doing, her lack of respect for our relationship and my feelings, not because of her weight.

So what happens after we break-up she found a way to loose the weight for someone else. I shouldn't say that, she might have just lost it for herself, but she found a way to loose it.

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
Wow, your wife deserves better. There is so much more to a person other then just how they look. What if she had a physical problem that she couldn't help were she gained weight, would you dump her in her hour of need just because she isn't that picture perfect gal?

So what she isn't perfect, she tries to please you.

draconis

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with Draconis. Your wife does deserve better. You may think you are all of that and a bag of chips. I bet there will be others that disagree.

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
Wow
draconis
:iagree: my first thought exactly. My first impression...you sound extremely superficial in your post. I'd have to agree with your wife in that no matter what she does, it will most likely not be enough as you are already having issues with wrinkles appearing so even if she works on everything in her control you will still be unhappy with what is not in her control. If you lost your hair (maybe you have) and how would it make you feel if your wife said she did not find your bald head attractive? Most of the women I know in their forties don't work out at all, so the fact that she is going a few times a week is more than most. I'm not sure if she goes alone or with you, but my husband and I go together and it helps when one of us is not in the mood we talk the other into going...we also play tennis together...it just makes exercising more enjoyable for me. A huge motivating factor for me is the way my husband compliments me. When it comes to how I look, he's very positive & if he sees a cute top in a magazine will say 'you would look good in that' etc. If his comments were always negative, I can tell you it would have the opposite effect. I certainly would not go out of my way to please him. If my husband placed such a high importance on my appearance, I would feel very unloved for the person I am. I think you already figured out that trying to change her isn't the right answer. It's a shame you are overlooking a strong, positive woman that she is and wanting some arm candy/trophy wife instead.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is going to be harsh....

You had no business marrying her, and I doubt that you have the mindset it takes to accept changes in a woman as she ages or has kids. Admit that you seek a lot of fluff and never pretend to want a permanent relationship again, then sit alone and watch yourself in the mirror as your face starts to age...you can't exercise that to keep gravity from doing its job. Then watch as all those little fluffy, perfect gals start looking at you as an old man and want nothing to do with you.

What goes around comes around...just wait and see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Draconis. Your wife does deserve better. You may think you are all of that and a bag of chips. I bet there will be others that disagree.
Hmmn,

Actually I think very poorly of myself. I also feel depressed, angry, and beat myself up about every hour.

I wonder what I said in my posts that would cause you to write

"You may think you are all of that and a bag of chips"....

Couldnt be farther from the truth...

Internet is a weird place

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:iagree: my first thought exactly. My first impression...you sound extremely superficial in your post. I'd have to agree with your wife in that no matter what she does, it will most likely not be enough as you are already having issues with wrinkles appearing so even if she works on everything in her control you will still be unhappy with what is not in her control. If you lost your hair (maybe you have) and how would it make you feel if your wife said she did not find your bald head attractive? Most of the women I know in their forties don't work out at all, so the fact that she is going a few times a week is more than most. I'm not sure if she goes alone or with you, but my husband and I go together and it helps when one of us is not in the mood we talk the other into going...we also play tennis together...it just makes exercising more enjoyable for me. A huge motivating factor for me is the way my husband compliments me. When it comes to how I look, he's very positive & if he sees a cute top in a magazine will say 'you would look good in that' etc. If his comments were always negative, I can tell you it would have the opposite effect. I certainly would not go out of my way to please him. If my husband placed such a high importance on my appearance, I would feel very unloved for the person I am. I think you already figured out that trying to change her isn't the right answer. It's a shame you are overlooking a strong, positive woman that she is and wanting some arm candy/trophy wife instead.
I dont want an arm candy/trophy wife...I just want her to do what she promised before we got married. I also am concerned about her health. Her whole family is VERY overweight, none of them excersise, diets are about 80% carbohyrdrate plus wine and some more wine.

I dont know what you look like. Its hard to tell if you are feminine, wear dresses, heels, or buy "pretty" feminine clothes or even care about your looks.
My wife grew up with 5 older brothers, a dad who was non-existant and a mom who wore the pants in the family. She didnt have time to teach her daughter about being a female.

In counseling the counselor said its obvious I LOVE my wife.
Again, its easy to take what Ive written and make assumptions instead of asking clarifying questions.
So instead of TELLING me Im doing things Im not maybe you should ask first...."Are you doing this or this?"

What do OTHER women who dont work out have to do with anything. Im not married to another women...Im married to and committed to THIS women. I never had sex befoe marriage, either did she. Im in this for the long haul so is she. Im on this website for help and input not to get bashed.
If I didnt care then why the hell am Im looking for input?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is going to be harsh....

You had no business marrying her, and I doubt that you have the mindset it takes to accept changes in a woman as she ages or has kids. Admit that you seek a lot of fluff and never pretend to want a permanent relationship again, then sit alone and watch yourself in the mirror as your face starts to age...you can't exercise that to keep gravity from doing its job. Then watch as all those little fluffy, perfect gals start looking at you as an old man and want nothing to do with you.

What goes around comes around...just wait and see.
Wow...amazing that within two small post you could be so judgemental, bitter and angry.

People like you are the very reason the internet doesnt work.
If you can be so judgemental so quickly over two post I cant imagine what you are like in real life...

Wheww...

Either you are correct after reading a few sentences I wrote and not seeking any more information or clarification
or the counselor we just saw for 6 months, who said I LOVE my wife, we actually have a great marriage but with a few nagging issues, etc, etc....well then he is wrong

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to hear this, who ever said Looks were not important must have been a female, because to a Male, it IS important, we are visual creatures.

I know some people will bite my head off on here and disagree with me, But honestly, I have told my wife that LOOKS are important, I do NOT want her getting fat, I married a 98Lbs woman, stay within 20 lbs of that....Currently 110lbs after three kids, and now works out, we both work out, because I too was getting a "tummy" So fair is fair right? No reason for me to be out of shape if I ask that from my wife.

But we do activities together, We run, walk, play tennis, things that can be done as a couple. Plus we do a weight routine, she follows the book, "New Rules of Lifting for Women" that give good solid workouts for Women, and it does not take an hour, but I been following New Rules of lifting for Men for a year now and My body ahs taken vcery nice shape...Which she has come to LOVE and other women that have known me all my life have commented, such as my sisters, that I really improved my physique.

Anyway, if you were not attracted to her, why did you date her? Why did you get married? Could there be any other problems with her? Thyroid issue perhaps? A co-worker was chubby and she had a thyroid problem, after seeking a Dr. she corrected it and is thin as a rail now at 40.

Looks only go if you let them, My goal is to be in better shape at 40 then I was at 20....at 38 I am there already.

You really need to discuss this with her.
Thanks.
WOW,if my did those things I would be in heaven. Thats awesome. Just the DOING it is very cool to me because I know that it has emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual benefits.

Im interested...WHY does she do those things?
Is it because she is vain and all her self esteem is tied up in looks?...Im being sarcastic because some of these harsh, insensitive post who seem to impy that things are 100% black and white....if you want your wife to lose weight and get in shape you are EVIL.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh...I forgot....

Im getting the sense that the women on this board dont listen to or agree with Dr. Laura Schlesinger....radio host and author of

The Care and Feeding of Husbands....

Im always amazed at the women who call in on that show and sound like some of you and she blast them and says....

woah....hold on....LOOKS ARE IMPORTANT TO MEN....being attractive, sexy, and "competitive" is important...

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
I think the point many people tried to make is instead of accepting your wife or being their for her you insist on her living up to your standard and changing who and what she is for you, not herself. 99% of the time it doesn't work because the person simply feels resentful in the long run. I have seen this type of stuff over and over from the other point of view and it isn't great. They feel insecure, unloved, manipulated, controlled and taken for granted. Ask an alcoholic to quit drinking for you, it doesn't work they need to do it for themselves with you there to help them.

With all she has done since before being married to you you come across as ungrateful, that is a shame.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. You are welcome to take the ones you want and ignore the ones you don't like. But very few people here are ever here just to be like cheerleaders for whomever comes on. Many people on here are very compassionate people and all donate their time to respond to others.

draconis

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Well bagelboy, A couple of things.

Is your wife from an italian family? Pasta and wine? those are the corners of a great Italian meal...I'm jealous good food! :D

Anyway, my main point was when you were dating her and you did get married...you blatantly said you were NOT attracted to her Physically, that pretty much you were convinced to go through with the wedding because "beauty is with in" Which is true to an extent, but that is something you have to come to grips with. You did choose to marry her.

I grew up not liking redheads, I dated mostly Blondes and I worship Brunettes....But go figure I married a Red head anyway!! I always found her very attractive from the moment we met, and that was a huge piece of the puzzle. I am still very attracted to her, I am a visual person I fully admit it, my wife knows I LOVE when she does her self up and wears her hair a certain way, but she looks just as good in "sweats and t-**** mode" with no make up. That was Key for me I hate to much make up.

Anyway, My wife does the things for me and herself because I asked her to and she also wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don't stand over her and tell her what to eat, But I also ahve no problem telling her she is gaining celliulite on her legs. But Also she saw the Development of my body from exercising and Coaching my childrens soccer teams ( I coach 2 of them) My wife decided to join me in the work out's so I amde it a project and told her what to do and got her a book, I am there to be her Personal trainer, not a dictator. She loves that I am involved in her exercise program, because I offer encoragement and I will buy her work out outfits, because she looks great in them, Modest ones that is. Short's and t-shirt is fine.

She plays tennis with me because in HS I was the State Champion and I love to play it, She is HORRIBLE at it. But I ahve taught her how to play, and we will head over to the courts and play and also teach our children.

We are an odd couple, because my wife is "cute" she is not a 10 by most people's standards, but she is a 15 in my book, and she knows I love it when she works out that it is a huge turn on for me....which makes her feel good because she knows I just admire her, thus also leading her to keep her Girly looks.

I think your biggest isue is that you were never really attracted to your wife in the beginning and you married her becuase other people convinced you to. Thinking you would "grow into it" Unfortunately that is extremely tough, you are attracted to whatever you are.

I know the Moment I saw my wife sitting at the table in the cafe at work, that I WANTED her....this was 19 years ago. I can also descibe what she was wearing on our first date on June 11th 1999, at that time I did not know I would marry her, but there was a definate attraction....and the same for her. I know that for a fact, Because she was supposed to go out with someone else that night, she blew him off to go home and call me....been together since.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GAsoccerman.

I would be interested to see what the people, especially women think of what you just wrote.

When I read it I almost cried because...thats NOT what happened to me...and I think its what usually happens to most couples and men especially. They SEE a woman and are physically attracted to her, THEN they get to know her.

Isn't that NORMAL?

Im committed to my wife and want to stick it through. The thought of divorce is....I cant think of it..I have two kids who need us to stay together.

Lat night my wife and I just read the first chapter of

"The Care and Feeding of Marriage" by Laura Schlesinger together.

The main point she made is feminism has damaged the institution of marriage and that STAYING in a marriage even if its bad is better than divorce. Better for each person and better for the kids...she bases this on some long range studies at Cornell University.

I agree. When I look at the options/alternative I have to say staying is better than splitting for each of us AND our kids.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I agree with sage mother about the mens aging and the younger girls looking at us differently, like a disgusting old man.
Lucky for us men that there is something that will make hot young girls overlook how old and nasty us men might end up looking,
MONEY! I mean look at that show "the girls next door" (the playboy mansion reality show) Hugh Heffner is old and nasty yet he has three HOT blonds having sex with him because of his money. This does not work the same for women though an old rich lady is still gross.

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
I dont know what you look like. Its hard to tell if you are feminine, wear dresses, heels, or buy "pretty" feminine clothes or even care about your looks.
My wife grew up with 5 older brothers, a dad who was non-existant and a mom who wore the pants in the family. She didnt have time to teach her daughter about being a female.
I am very feminine. My mom grew up with 3 older brothers and much to her mother's dismay was quite a tomboy. I think my mother would have preferred I was that way. I don't know how much is nurture or nature, in my case I'd say nature. I love to get manicures/pedicures and shop, and learned to apply makeup on my own, because it interested me. The downside to being this way is the $$$ it costs...be careful what you wish for ;) I have some friends who are jeans/tshirts/no makeup and happy with that and others that are just intimidated (not sure what to buy how to apply it without looking like a clown) but would like to know...in those cases they have cosmetic counters in the mall department stores that will try products on you for free and they are good about finding the right colors and showing you how to apply it, etc...might be a fun suggestion if you are walking through with her some time. After I had my first spa pedicure I never looked back...something about laying there relaxing and getting pampered....aaaah...if she had a gift card for that...(I know it's toe nails, probably not the best place to start) but it might get her 'hooked' on the concept.
So instead of TELLING me Im doing things Im not maybe you should ask first...."Are you doing this or this?"
I wasn't trying to assume you were or weren't doing something. I was merely giving you some input on what my husband does that works for me. When I have posted in the past, even if I don't fully agree with someone's response, they may have said a thing or two that is helpful to me in some way.
What do OTHER women who dont work out have to do with anything. Im not married to another women...Im married to and committed to THIS women.
I was (as I tend to do) looking at the positive side and what she IS doing (which in reality is more than most) rather than what you'd like her to be doing. People in general respond better to positive feedback than negative I would guess your wife might too.
Im on this website for help and input not to get bashed.
If I didnt care then why the hell am Im looking for input?
I didn't intend to 'bash' you by my response. The feeling I got when I read your post was that you made your wife sound like a very good person and it is difficult to then read your negative feelings about her appearance...but they are your feelings and you are entitled to feel how you feel, it just made me feel bad to imagine how this must make her feel.

And I am fully aware that men are visual creatures. I recently read a book called 'It's a guy thing. An Owner's Manual for Women' and admit I knew very little about how men think prior to reading this and he doesn't hold back. It's intended for women but you might find it interesting as well...that men are turned on by a woman's feminine energy...and if they are in masculine mode too often, it is not attractive. Reverse is also true...if a man sees a spider and screeches rather than gets rid of it, it's a turn-off to women. It also has a section on how work issues affect a man. Might be a good read for you both.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.