Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bumped into an old friend with whom I had a brief relationship almost 20 years ago. We were good friends before this happened again.

We are both married. My spouse and I have been together 15 years and have 3 kids. My spouse smokes cigarettes, has issues with drugs and alcohol and parties every weekend. This leaves me to raise the kids. I dont smoke and rarely drink. The taste of cigarettes turns me off. Because of this, we dont kiss and rarely hug. We have sex regularly. At times I have felt invisible, neglected, taken for granted and lonely. He has cheated on me with an ex girlfriend before and since we've been married. They are emotional affairs. 5 years ago I let him know that it had to stop. I believe that it did but I'm sure he's emotionally involved with someone else because that's his personality.

My spouse is a good person and loves me dearly. We have fallen into the routine of marriage and have little to no time alone without one or more of our children.

The side relationship began as harmless texting and escalated from there. Our conversations made me feel alive and sexier than ive felt in a long time. I talked to him all day and all night everyday for 4 months.

I slept with the other person once and felt horrible immediately afterwards. I feel like the most horrible person on earth. Since then I've cut off all communication with this person and explained why. He isn't looking to break up his family and neither am I. The sick part about this is I miss his friendship. It was ruined once this happened.

My spouse has no idea about what I've done. He suspects there may have been something, but I was extremely careful and discreet.

Im aware that men and women feel differently about cheating. Women eventually forgive but men do not. His territory has been violated by another male. I don't think that I could ever tell him about what I've done because he would never forgive me. That chapter is over and will never ever be visted again. I think that it would be cruel to say anything at all.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
So many justifications... Seems like your husband practically forced you to cheat on him! What i get from all that is "he was asking for it".

No matter what he did (that's on him), if you call yourself his wife still, then this one is on you.

He isn't looking to break up his family and neither am I.
Of course not, all he wanted was to swap fluids.
And maybe brag about to his buddies who in turn will snicker about it when they see your husband passing by, until your husband catches wind of it from someone. Which will be made easier because he already suspects.

I think that it would be cruel to say anything at all.
As opposed to have a guy being laughed at on his back because his wife is banging another guy?

Damn, at least get tested for STDs!!

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
My spouse has no idea about what I've done. He suspects there may have been something, but I was extremely careful and discreet.
That's not strictly true. If you were really careful and discreet, he'd not suspect a thing, would he?

Im aware that men and women feel differently about cheating. Women eventually forgive but men do not.
That's not true. Some woman do not forgive cheating. Some men do forgive cheating. For example, I forgave my wife's affair.

But it is entirely your call.

Seems there are several issues you and your husband need to deal with. Drugs and parenting? Ehhh... not such a good mix, in my opinion.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't think that I could ever tell him about what I've done because he would never forgive me.

Yes it is your decision to tell him. But if the roles were reversed would you want to know? Honestly, if you continue to keep this from him you are being just as selfish as you were when you stepped out of your marriage and became physical with another man. This man has a right to make the decision to keep you or throw you away. You made the same decision to throw your marriage away, why shouldn't he get the same choice?

I think that it would be cruel to say anything at all.

The cruel thing is continuing to lie to him. I am a betrayed husband. I can tell you right now that I consider everything she ever said or did to me while she was having her affair to be a lie. Every kiss, every hug, every "I love you". All lies. You are being more cruel to this man by keeping this from him. He deserves to know who he married.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My apologies I missed the part where he had cheated on you before. This in no way makes what you have done acceptable though. 2 wrongs never make a right. It sounds like you need to tell him and let him decide. Maybe MC could help you guys.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
You should tell him before he finds out.

Finding out is 10x worse when it comes from a third party or they have to snoop to get it.

You never know when you may be outed. Also what if your OM's wife finds out and tells your husband.

One poor guy even found out about his wife's infidelity because the jackass she cheated with videotaped it and posted it to his blog for laughs and for the whole world to see. Its still there to this day.

Tell him. Its ugly either way, but it'd be better coming from you.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Stay quit and don't say one thing about the smoking and the partying your old man is doing that brings so much resentment. Give it time and you will be at it again with same OM or even someone different that isn't married and has no morals.

Its just a matter of time!

**************disclaimer***********
sarcasim

do everyone a favor and file for a divorce so the both of you can stop pretenting to have a marriage. Who knows, the both of you you might find the right people that brings out the best in both of you.

You may find some one you can be honest and loyal without resentment and your old man will find a women that can bring out the best in him.

Your kids will have a better example of what it is to have a healthy relationship if the both of you find someone different that can bring out the best in both of you.

Sorry the other man was so crappy in bed, don't do it again until you can leave this marriage with what ever honor you have left.

You know talk is cheap and telling him time and again what you need is not working......so handle this with honesty instead of with lies and tell him you are moving on.

Then it will be his choice to continue to smoke and drink while you get your self together.

Ya easier said then done.........but stop being that women you never wanted to be! He diserves at least that much.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Sorry I was so hard, I'm a product of what parents do to stay for the kids.

Now I have my own issues in my own marriage cuz I had a crappy example of what marraige is.....no kissing, no hugging, no love!

If you will allow me this..........I blame my parents for my marital problems in showing me how to love, I blame my cheating wife for how she handled this unhealthy marraige.

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Azure, I don't understand why you stayed with your husband being the way he is.

Now you've gotten sucked into an EA which turned PA, you have this guilt to deal with. The better solution is to be with a better man who treats you better and then even the thoughts of betraying him would keep you from falling into this trap.

I'm normally a poster who says you've gotta tell your spouse but it almost seems like it doesn't matter because you shouldn't be with spouse. Your marriage seems very disfunctional and unhealthy to me. Party boys who have affairs are not marriage material.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My spouse smokes cigarettes, has issues with drugs and alcohol and parties every weekend.
This leaves me to raise the kids. I dont smoke and rarely drink. The taste of cigarettes turns me off.
Because of this, we dont kiss and rarely hug. We have sex regularly.
At times I have felt invisible, neglected, taken for granted and lonely. He has cheated on me with an ex girlfriend before and since we've been married. They are emotional affairs. 5 years ago I let him know that it had to stop. I believe that it did but I'm sure he's emotionally involved with someone else because that's his personality.
MAybe he will forgive, maybe he won't.

Mind if I ask a question:
Why did you marry this man?
What do you see in him?
What makes you stay with him after he cheated?
Has he proved himself as a good husband and father?
Or are you with him because you like the stability of the marriage?
Is he good to your kids when he is around them?
Is he good to you?

Because this guy doesn't sound like a role model for anyone...no offense.

·
Banned
610 Posts
I bumped into an old friend with whom I had a brief relationship almost 20 years ago. We were good friends before this happened again.

We are both married. My spouse and I have been together 15 years and have 3 kids. My spouse smokes cigarettes, has issues with drugs and alcohol and parties every weekend. This leaves me to raise the kids. I dont smoke and rarely drink. The taste of cigarettes turns me off. Because of this, we dont kiss and rarely hug. We have sex regularly. At times I have felt invisible, neglected, taken for granted and lonely. He has cheated on me with an ex girlfriend before and since we've been married. They are emotional affairs. 5 years ago I let him know that it had to stop. I believe that it did but I'm sure he's emotionally involved with someone else because that's his personality.

My spouse is a good person and loves me dearly. We have fallen into the routine of marriage and have little to no time alone without one or more of our children.

The side relationship began as harmless texting and escalated from there. Our conversations made me feel alive and sexier than ive felt in a long time. I talked to him all day and all night everyday for 4 months.

I slept with the other person once and felt horrible immediately afterwards. I feel like the most horrible person on earth. Since then I've cut off all communication with this person and explained why. He isn't looking to break up his family and neither am I. The sick part about this is I miss his friendship. It was ruined once this happened.

Im aware that men and women feel differently about cheating. Women eventually forgive but men do not. His territory has been violated by another male. I don't think that I could ever tell him about what I've done because he would never forgive me. That chapter is over and will never ever be visted again. I think that it would be cruel to say anything at all.
This bolded part is based on some pretty shaky philosophical ground.

You've got a lot of hand-waving here. Deep down you surely must know your logic is both unsound and unethical. That's why you came to us, to see if we would accept it. And of course we do not.

There are ways to come out of the nightmare, but the methods you are considering will not bring about the effect you desire, I promise.

Reactions: MattMatt

·
Banned
4,306 Posts
Here is the thing: I can think of two posts right off the bat where a wife THOUGHT she left behind her affair and it came back up years later and bit her on the butt.

Now, for all of that, there is supposed statistics which say that many affairs are never detected.

Make your wager and roll the dice. I can pretty much guarantee you this: unless you have decided to become a Stepford wife from now on, if he finds out years later, every insult, rough patch, periods of low sex etc will be seen as proof in his eyes that it wasn't just one night.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
You should tell him before he finds out.

Finding out is 10x worse when it comes from a third party or they have to snoop to get it.

You never know when you may be outed. Also what if your OM's wife finds out and tells your husband.

One poor guy even found out about his wife's infidelity because the jackass she cheated with videotaped it and posted it to his blog for laughs and for the whole world to see. Its still there to this day.

Tell him. Its ugly either way, but it'd be better coming from you.
Kasler, that situation was actually worse, if it's who I am thinking about. I think the OM actually posted it to the wife's own MySpace account, so he knew husband was bound to see the video. :(

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
Kasler, that situation was actually worse, if it's who I am thinking about. I think the OM actually posted it to the wife's own MySpace account, so he knew husband was bound to see the video. :(
That is sick!

It's almost as bad as that cuckold thread, with the oral thing.

Was that posted on this site?

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
What happened to OP?
Hopefully she is thinking about what she should do.

Finding out that you are not the nice person you thought you were can take some processing. I know, as it hit me like a bag of wet sand. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have absolutely no intention or desire to ever do this again. Believe me, I feel like the lowest of low. I'm kicking my own behind far worse than you think. It was one time only. 100% protected.

This is the first and only time that I've been involved in a mess like this. I haven't told a soul. This isn't the type of thing that I'm proud of or want to shout from the rooftop.

My spouse doesn't know the other person. As I said before the om has just as much to lose as I do.

I know that we've fallen into a rut but I know that it can be repaired. I eventually forgave him. In time I hope that he will do the same. I stayed with him because I love him and want our family to remain intact.

There are problems, yes but I don't feel in my heart of hearts that we're headed for divorce. MC definitely would help.

He is a good father and very involved with our children.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
OP,

Will you be okay by concealing this ONS with your bf of 20 years ago?
Does not your conscience prick?

I dont readily buy the mention of ONS. You had a choice and you did it.

Sorry if it hurts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.