Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read many threads here from people who profess loving their spouse soooo much, then go on to list all of the things they don't "like" about them.

I don't get it.

How can one love somebody so much but not "like" them?

·
Registered
628 Posts
That is the thing about love you can love some one but not like them or live with them...

I get what you are saying but I could write a whole book on what I do not like about my H, what I love about H, and what I just live with because they are not a big issue (toilet seat up kind of thing)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Just because you're in love with someone doesn't mean that you are totally unaware of their faults. Love isn't a state of 100% like, it is an emotional feeling of belonging and attachment.

There are things about my wife that I don't like but that does not mean I don't love her. There some somethings I don't like that I try to change and there are some that I respect and accept. The latter is really a sign of love esspecially when I see her respect and accept things she doesn't like about me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Perhaps they LOVE them, but they don't LIKE some of the behaviors.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I have never felt that way about someone except my children. I love them to the moon and back, but sometimes they are little turds.

When it's come to men, I can understand it to a point, but when women are abused (or men for that matter) and still insist they love their husband, I think it's more the fear and abuse and wishing talking. But that's just me.

I love my husband. He has done some things that have hurt me but I still liked him and still loved him. I understood his actions and accept that this is just life...ebbs and flows. He's never been abusive. I had an abusive ex and I didn't love him, or like him.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
My experience, Emerald, is that we tend to love everyone we have been around long enough to know well, regardless of whether we "like them" or not. Whereas our "liking" reflects how much we enjoy a person's behavior, our "loving" reflects how we feel about him as a person.

As I've grown more mature over the years, I find it increasingly impossible to get to know a person without seeing the little child inside. For me -- and I would suspect for you too -- it is impossible not to quickly love a child.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I see it a lot too. I don't view it as such a big deal though.

·
Banned
2,528 Posts
I love my wife but will be the first to admit that I'm not really all that "in love" with her anymore, because of all the ugly things said back and forth that do leave scars after awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.