Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a mutual interest in Star Trek Voyager. Of all things.

OW asked me which of the cast I found attractive, which somehow turned round into a conversation about how or who we were attracted to in real life.

And that pretty much greased the slope toward a very nasty time in my life.

·
Banned
3,319 Posts
It was a mutual interest in Star Trek Voyager. Of all things.

OW asked me which of the cast I found attractive, which somehow turned round into a conversation about how or who we were attracted to in real life.

And that pretty much greased the slope toward a very nasty time in my life.
Dude, if I could only find a woman who could talk to me about Star Trek..........

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Politics............ the xOM and I shared a love of politics (same political party) and history and geography..... Huh,.... I hadn't thought about that in a while. Because, I choose not to think about the xOM. But, it is ironic, and scary, how a common interest can grow into something big enough to, potentially, destroy a 31 year relationship..... Well, the relationship was already on life support so maybe it wasn't such a stretch.

But, miracles happen and every once in a while........... marriages resurrect themselves............... yours did, MM, and so has mine and B1's.

Reactions: MattMatt

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
EI,

Your case is a good and rare example of surviving.....

MM,

I dont know your full case. I am happy that you and your spouse could rebuild marriage.

While there are a few cases of rebuilding, majority of A end up in disaster.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
My Hs mother died of cancer 4 years ago. xOWs mother died of cancer 3 months before their A started! Click!! My year of hell began!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Amazing how conversing with another person about a shared interest can start an EA.
Scary, really.
Matt Matt had a revenge affair. So his situation is a little more understandable, IMO.

Still, I think most people who have affairs are looking for them at some point. Thus any interaction can lead to the affair if the AP is a willing target.

I truly doubt affairs just happen out of the blue. The people who have them are open to them and may have been looking for one for some time before a convenient opportunity presents itself.

The funny part is that all cheaters try to claim it was only an EA rather than a PA. Some times they get away with this for a loooooong time, too.

If I had not received later additional information that proved my STBEH claimed EA was really a PA that started as an EA, I would have believe his lies about it only being an EA.

That's the scary part. The part that I was still willing to believe he was being honest with me despite learning of a deception.

I think they call this the trust bias afforded to spouses.

If anyone else gave me the song and dance my STBEH gave me, about his affair only being an EA, I would have targeted it as a lie pronto.

·
Super Moderator
29,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Matt Matt had a revenge affair. So his situation is a little more understandable, IMO.

Still, I think most people who have affairs are looking for them at some point. Thus any interaction can lead to the affair if the AP is a willing target.

I truly doubt affairs just happen out of the blue. The people who have them are open to them and may have been looking for one for some time before a convenient opportunity presents itself.

The funny part is that all cheaters try to claim it was only an EA rather than a PA. Some times they get away with this for a loooooong time, too.

If I had not received later additional information that proved my STBEH claimed EA was really a PA that started as an EA, I would have believe his lies about it only being an EA.

That's the scary part. The part that I was still willing to believe he was being honest with me despite learning of a deception.

I think they call this the trust bias afforded to spouses.

If anyone else gave me the song and dance my STBEH gave me, about his affair only being an EA, I would have targeted it as a lie pronto.
But I wasn't looking for a revenge affair. Just someone who... I don't know? Someone who hadn't ripped my heart out? Not sure if that's it.

A female I could speak with without walking on eggshells for fear of triggering a negative reaction about her affair? Which sometimes happened with my wife?

The other thing we had in common, the OW and I, was a phenomenal capacity for alcohol. I know why I was self-medicating, didn't know what her problem was, but she was a very troubled woman.

S**t! We were made for each other. (NOT!) A Toxic match if ever there was one. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.