Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests....
My supervisor is a know it all! He drives me crazy. He particularly hates being outdone by the women.
Example: I work in a residential setting with kids with emotional/ behavioural difficulties.
We took them to an Italian restaurant where we were shown how to make our own pasta, HE ended up telling the chef the best way to do it. We also went to an Indian restaurant and he ended up telling the chef the best spices to put in the curry! Embarrassing or what!

If we have a debate/ conversation in work, he has to be right all the time and will not accept he is wrong. He will even go off and google it to prove he is right! Of course, he NEVER admits when he is wrong.

It came to a head this week. We have been on a three day First Aid for work. He was on a role. He questioned and disagreed with the Instructor on numerous occasions. But he met his match. She had an answer for him everytime. He made an ass of himself.

I think he feels threatend by me also. Although he is my supervisor I have years more child care experience and knowledge than him and it really bugs him!
Sometimes I feel I have to dumb down a bit not to make him look stupid. It's frustrating at times!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
0 Posts
Argh, sista I hear you.
I had a know it all boss at a job and it was just annoying. I didn't give a crap when he was wrong about something in a general discussion, but usually he'd be stubborn on a strategy to go and try to force it upon us and when it doesn't work, guess who are to blame ?

I believe it must come from insecurity and narcissism.
Also, arguing with about First Aid with an expert on First Aid ? That's just über dumb.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Argh, sista I hear you.
I had a know it all boss at a job and it was just annoying. I didn't give a crap when he was wrong about something in a general discussion, but usually he'd be stubborn on a strategy to go and try to force it upon us and when it doesn't work, guess who are to blame ?

I believe it must come from insecurity and narcissism.
Also, arguing with about First Aid with an expert on First Aid ? That's just über dumb.
He was trying to show off his knowledge about medical stuff because his GF works in a hospital ( he told us she's a nurse, but she's not!). She wasn't having any of it! Lol!
Yes he is definitely insecure and feels very threatened by strong women.
We have inspectors coming into work next week and me and the girls have been busy putting lovely display boards up and making the place look good and he hates it. Hasn't commented once or said the place looks good! Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,999 Posts
Know it alls are keenly aware that they are stupid, so their attitude is compensating for their shaky self esteem.

I dated a man who was a know it all. This idiot was a spoiled brat who never worked a day in his life or even finished high school, yet he knew so much. He was very obnoxious about forcing his opinions on others.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG anotherguy!!! I swear that cartoon was made for him!
He tells us how he only sleeps 3 hours a night
He eats the HOTTEST curry in the Indian house and sweats into it!
He has the BIGGEST burger at the burger van!
When we play games with the kids in school, he NEVER let's them win!
I cod go on and on!
He's 47 and his GF has just had a baby. His first! You got it, he's an expert. Despite the fact I've got 3 kids (11-18) he has just rewritten parenting overnight!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
...more...

I usually call this 'small penis syndrome'. ;) Let him have his fantasies. The thing is - he knows people dont believe him - so he need to continually up his game.

...let it go. Never debate a moron. It doesnt work.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the time we do ignore it or have a giggle at his expense but he really was embarrassing this week on that course!
He's GOT to be trying to make up for something!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
Ooooops.

I can be a bit of a know it all at times.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Know it alls are keenly aware that they are stupid, so their attitude is compensating for their shaky self esteem.

I dated a man who was a know it all. This idiot was a spoiled brat who never worked a day in his life or even finished high school, yet he knew so much. He was very obnoxious about forcing his opinions on others.
I don't think know it alls are stupid, but I do feel like they have a bit of narcissistic personality disorder with their heads in the clouds looking down on anybody who disagrees with them. They are generally huge hypocrites as well. The ops situation does sound very frustrating. I would avoid this guy like the plague! My mom in law is a know it all and I try to avoid her as well. I don't like being pushed around and she likes pushing!

My know it all situation -
I didn't want my son to sleep on his stomach when he was a baby. The reason was because I was handed a pamphlet at the hospital that said it's a huge SIDS (Sudden infant death syndrome) risk factor. I came home and researched it - after all, it was my sons life. She fought hands teeth and nails with me about how I should put him to sleep, because he was so new. My friend had a child a year earlier.. He passed away 7 weeks into his life. I was terrified of SIDS.

I felt like she was a know it all because she got so.. offended that I didn't want him to sleep on his stomach and started badmouthing me to my spouse about not taking her advice. And he sided with her at first so I didn't offend her. I didn't listen to either of them though.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
i can be a bit of a know it all when it comes to things like dog rescue and having bpd.

i don't like one uppers though:( my mom is one of these and i have to make a conscious effort to not fall into the habit of being that way.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I'm completely sick of running into people like that!They seem to be multiplying at an alarming rate!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Know-it-alls may or may not know a lot but their major concern is appearing to know more than everyone else. It must give them some kind of ego boost. I always wonder why they don't pick up on the hate vibes coming from the people around them. It's like they're oblivious.

I witnesses one of those guys in a trivia contest (like Jeopardy) with my brother who is actually a Ken Jennings like braniac in his knowledge. As my brother wiped the floor with him, the know-it-all started muttering, "I knew that one" after each question that my brother got right. So even in crushing defeat something compelled him to try to demonstrate his superiority. Pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Oh my gawd.... gates mother is a big know it all. She and I have gotten into it several times when it came to raising my kids. I give them water or tea... she gives them pop and kool aid and said her kids had nothing but kool aid. I started my daughter off with fresh fruits, veggies, and nuts as treats... she comes along and says I'm being cruel and gives her candy.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Oh my gawd.... gates mother is a big know it all. She and I have gotten into it several times when it came to raising my kids. I give them water or tea... she gives them pop and kool aid and said her kids had nothing but kool aid. I started my daughter off with fresh fruits, veggies, and nuts as treats... she comes along and says I'm being cruel and gives her candy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Uhhh I hate that!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
I have never been so glad to have an emotionally distant mother.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.