Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home a day early from a business trip about six weeks ago and found the toilet seat up in our upstairs guest bathroom. This may not be remarkable in most households, but I (51) live with my wife (44) and our 3 daughters (17, 15, 13). Living with four women means always putting the toilet seat down. It is an accommodation to their gender that I have fully embraced. We haven’t had houseguests since the Before Times, and no one really uses that bathroom except for overnight guests so finding the toilet seat up in an empty house in the middle of the day in the middle of the work week is, to put it mildly, odd. My daughters and their friends were still at school. My wife was still at work. I checked the doorbell video log, but no one had come in the house since everyone left around 7:15 that morning. This would bother me no matter what, but in the past year or so I’ve noticed some distance from my wife—like not being fully present in the evenings after dinner or in the bedroom and I can’t put my finger on it, but there is definitely a disturbance in the force. And she’s been on a slight-to-medium edge ever since I asked her about the toilet seat. Obviously I suspect there’s been another male in my house, but I have no idea when or why. I have no real reason to suspect she's cheating, but we are hitting our mid-lives and humans can be human so it is a possibility that is weighing on me. I found this website and I’ve been reading various threads looking for advice. She’s not guarding her phone, or traveling for work, or going out with the girls, or disappearing for hours at a time. The only red flag I’ve seen is the open toilet seat, and the only red flag I feel in my gut is her distance. But my gut is worried. Very worried. Am I worrying for nothing? Your advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
489 Posts
ALWAYS trust your gut. That doesn’t mean it’s always right, but it’s always right unless/until proven otherwise.

Keep your mouth shut and don’t say anything else about it. Start investigating. Check her phone, texts and other applications that could be used for communications. Check your phone bills, email, etc.
It may be nothing, so don’t drive yourself too crazy with it. But if your gut says check, then check. Do your due diligence to protect your marriage and give yourself some peace of mind.

And if it turns out to be nothing, then start working on the distance in your relationship. Don’t ignore that or next time your gut may end up being right.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I came home a day early from a business trip about six weeks ago and found the toilet seat up in our upstairs guest bathroom. This may not be remarkable in most households, but I (51) live with my wife (44) and our 3 daughters (17, 15, 13). Living with four women means always putting the toilet seat down. It is an accommodation to their gender that I have fully embraced. We haven’t had houseguests since the Before Times, and no one really uses that bathroom except for overnight guests so finding the toilet seat up in an empty house in the middle of the day in the middle of the work week is, to put it mildly, odd. My daughters and their friends were still at school. My wife was still at work. I checked the doorbell video log, but no one had come in the house since everyone left around 7:15 that morning. This would bother me no matter what, but in the past year or so I’ve noticed some distance from my wife—like not being fully present in the evenings after dinner or in the bedroom and I can’t put my finger on it, but there is definitely a disturbance in the force. And she’s been on a slight-to-medium edge ever since I asked her about the toilet seat. Obviously I suspect there’s been another male in my house, but I have no idea when or why. I have no real reason to suspect she's cheating, but we are hitting our mid-lives and humans can be human so it is a possibility that is weighing on me. I found this website and I’ve been reading various threads looking for advice. She’s not guarding her phone, or traveling for work, or going out with the girls, or disappearing for hours at a time. The only red flag I’ve seen is the open toilet seat, and the only red flag I feel in my gut is her distance. But my gut is worried. Very worried. Am I worrying for nothing? Your advice would be appreciated.
SO just to cover the bases, have you considered that the source might be a daughter? i.e. they had some guy over. Under most circumstances he shouldn't be using that guest bathroom, but if the others were in use, he might have been directed there. Also was anyone doing any work recently in the house, especially near that bathroom? It wouldn't be the first time a worker used the bathroom of the house they are working in, with or without owner permission. How far back were you able to view the footage? Did you look back as far as you could?

Mind you, there may still be issues with you and the Mrs., but that doesn't make this evidence of an affair.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Your gut feeling is actually more of something to tune into than the toilet seat issue. Be watchful, but don't accuse her of anything unless you have bullet proof evidence. If she thinks she is being watched and had been doing something nefarious, she would go to greater lengths to hide it if you start asking questions.

Regarding the seat issue, a couple of non-nefarious possibilities exist:

I lift the seat when cutting fingernails, a female could do that also... or does anyone ever clean the toilet? Seem like they would lift it to clean.

Keep an eye on the rim under the seat, guys lift it in case they accidentally splash, so I would think if a male really were lifting the seat, there would be evidence underneath even if they put it back down afterward.

What was your wife's response when you asked about this initially and how did you ask?

ETA: how often do you travel for work?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If I found the toilet seat up in my master bedroom the last thing I’d think is my wife is bonking some dude in my bed. That’s all you got?
It was in the guest bedroom's bath, and he did note he had been away for while. Which does bring up the question of when was it last used that he knew of and if the room is so rarely used, was the seat up even before he left.

·
Registered
13,996 Posts
Ignore the downplayers and listen to your gut. Could be a daughter's boyfriend, but your commentary re: your wife's emotional distance and her behavior since your mention of the toilet seat would seem to indicate otherwise.

Find a way to discreetly hide a couple of cameras in the house.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like nothing to me, but trust your gut, keep your mouth shut, and eyes open. You already showed your hand by asking her about it. She will go into lockdown mode now if something is actually up.

Side note: I really don't get why it's considered a man's job to put toilet seats down. I am responsible enough to look down before I piss all over the ring. Why do many women expect to have it all prepared for them when they arrive to do their business? My gf and I live separately, and she demands I put it up at her house, which I comply with because it's her house. I never put it down at my house, which is admittedly passive aggressive but it brings me a little joy. It has never even crossed my mind to demand she put it back up at my house... Until today. :devilish:

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
This would bother me no matter what, but in the past year or so I’ve noticed some distance from my wife—like not being fully present in the evenings after dinner or in the bedroom and I can’t put my finger on it, but there is definitely a disturbance in the force. And she’s been on a slight-to-medium edge ever since I asked her about the toilet seat.
🤦‍♂️ Damn it, you may have just pushed it underground. Whatever it is.

Anyway it's worth investigating, your instincts are clues that your subconscious mind picks up that your conscious mind isn't able to discern. These clues form patterns, and yes, suspicions. Don't think about it as if it's about whether it's right or wrong. There's a reason for everything, find out now - but be discreet.

It could even be your wife hiding one of your daughter's boyfriends, could be anything. Check it out.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Can you go back and check the video from the doorbell for the days that you were out of town?
That may give you either some piece of mind or something to find.
Don't be suspicious -- keep your eyes open. Placing a few video cams around may not be the worst idea.
Also, maybe a Voice Activated Recorder (VAR) in places around the house you think she would talk on the phone....

Check your phone records...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sounds like nothing to me, but trust your gut, keep your mouth shut, and eyes open. You already showed your hand by asking her about it. She will go into lockdown mode now if something is actually up.

Side note: I really don't get why it's considered a man's job to put toilet seats down. I am responsible enough to look down before I piss all over the ring. Why do many women expect to have it all prepared for them when they arrive to do their business? My gf and I live separately, and she demands I put it up at her house, which I comply with because it's her house. I never put it down at my house, which is admittedly passive aggressive but it brings me a little joy. It has never even crossed my mind to demand she put it back up at my house... Until today. :devilish:
Sir, I am blind as a bat and at night I cannot tell if the seat is up or down. I have fallen into the toilet several times because the seat was up. It’s courtesy. Also, I clean it so I get to make the terlet rules. But if you’re cleaning it and it’s yours, then do insist she put it back up. It’s your right and duty. Or doody. 🙂

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
As others have suggested, let the matter die. Don't bring it up again with your wife. But go into surveillance mode. Battery operated cameras and recording devices are cheap.

If you have access to the phone bill, see what numbers are being called or texted frequently.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You should absolutely set up additional cameras.

I also have another suggestion. Login to your router through your internet provider and see what devices are connected to your WiFi. It should show active and inactive devices, which may provide more insight into who may have been at your house. There won’t be time stamps but you can at least have an eye out.

Trust your gut. It’s normally right!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Is there a second entry point without a video doorbell? I personally only have one installed on my front door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. Thank you everyone for responding. I posted this and then took the family out to dinner not knowing what to expect. I appreciate all of your suggestions. Before I answer some of your questions perhaps I should give you some background. My wife—let’s call her Katherine—and I met when I was grad school in Minnesota. She was 24 and working at the university as research assistant. I was 33 and changing careers. We’ve been inseparable ever since. We married 18 months after meeting and she supported me through the rest of grad school. We moved to Florida trading endless winters for endless summers, and I started a business which afforded us a comfortable, financially-stable life while letting her stay home and raise our daughters, which is what she wanted to do. A few years ago when our oldest entered middle school K decided she wanted to buy a business—a little florist shop—in the center of town. She supported me when I started a business and I supported her with the money to fund the purchase and by picking up more of the daily parenting duties. It has been a success thanks to her hard work and she is well-known locally as a community leader.

Our marriage has been great, in my opinion. Like any relationship, it ebbed and flowed over the years depending on work stressors and parenting problems. We hit a particularly rough patch a couple of years ago. We caught our eldest daughter shoplifting which necessitated some hard conversations and hard love. We did not exactly agree on how to handle it, and I think we both still have some reservations and resentments as a result. Around late April of last year I had bike accident while trying to get some Covid exercise which resulted in a surgery. Between that and Covid closures I was housebound for nearly 4 months, which drove everyone crazy particularly my wife. K got progressively distant while nursing me back to health, but I read that it can be a problem when a partner turns into a caretaker so I didn’t worry too much—it was not like I was in any shape to put out anyway—and all the bad moods seemed to pass once I was mobile and back in the saddle again. But I’ve felt a distance between us ever since.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@re16 My business is one that requires a fair amount of client contact. I used to travel a lot, but after K bought the florist business I cut it back to 2-3 days every week or so. I usually go out on Tuesday, handle the client on Wednesday, and return on Wednesday night or Thursday morning. That way I am only gone two nights at the most and can be home for the girls' sports events on Friday.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@maquiscat I seriously considered it was my oldest daughter sneaking home from school with her boyfriend, yes. I came home on Wednesday morning rather than Thursday because my client had an emergency at his plant and cancelled our meeting after I'd flown out. Such is life. So I went home. When the girls got home from school I asked them about the toilet seat and if one of them had a boy over. All I heard in response was “eeew, dad, gross, no.” I double-checked with the older one but she swears she was in school. Now I have lived with teens long enough to know they will lie to your face with a smile that wouldn't melt butter, but I called the school the next day and all the kids were counted as present in every class so I am not sure how she could have skipped.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts