Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I haven't had sex for a week and a half to two weeks now. I don't remember exactly when we last had sex, I just know we haven't had sex for a week and a half.

I started my period on the 8th, and it felt like my period blood was tearing my vagina apart. anything the blood touched is sore! I couldn't even wear a tampon because it hurt so bad! My blood was more watery than it usually is. It is usually very clumpy, and there were hardly any clumps.

I am suspecting that this is a yeast infection, but I have no idea how I could have gotten one (I haven't been on antibiotics, not pregnant, etc) S/S seem to match yeast infection more than an STD. Just insane itching and burning, but no s/s of a fever.

I am in a monogamous relationship, I had an emotional affair on my husband a while back, which is what brought me to this site, but we are working through it, and it was never anything physical.

We both got STD tests before marriage and a few times during and they have come up clean (admittedly nothing more than chlamydia/Gonorrhea HIV) Not sure what they test for during my yearly exam, but I had one of those a few months back and it came back "normal"

I don't have any reason to suspect that my husband cheated, but the thought is in the back of my mind.

Anyway, I bought a monistat 7 kit, put in my first treatment last night and experienced the worst burning sensation I have ever experienced in my life!

I know I am all over the place. but somebody please tell me it is just a yeast infection. PLEASE!!

·
Banned
124 Posts
Did you go through a period where you didn't have sex for a little while and then had sex? because it could be a UTI. It's called the Honeymooners Disease. I had that once and it wasn't fun.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
No idea what monistat is but either way you should consult your Dr.

I have had an infection in the past, cannot remember the name but it had nothing to do with sex. I think it was bacterial but it was from cycling, sweat and wearing lycra. Just saying there are all sorts of reasons and the only way to find out what is happening is to go to the Dr.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Have you looked up the symptoms of a UTI? Unfortunately, I am extremely susceptible to them, so I am something of an expert.

Does it burn more after you urinate? Is your urine cloudy? Are you urinating more than usual?

If it hurts more than a 5 on a scale of 10, please please please go to urgent care. I recently had a UTI that advanced to a kidney infection because I thought the antibiotics they gave me would be enough. It was NOT and I ended up in the ER with severe pain and fever.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree with above to go see a doctor. It could be a yeast infection, but if you are having burning while you are urinating, it could be a UTI. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
Go to a doctor. If it's a UTI it could become a kidney infection which can be very serious. Also, certain STDs have symptoms like what you describe. See a doctor asap.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I agree to get to a doctor. It could even be a fungal infection. My mom had, what she believed to be a yeast infection. Not one yeast infection remedy worked on it. Finally, the doctor prescribed something for fungal infections, and that cleared it up. Like I, as well as the other ladies, said...get to a doctor.

And no, it wasn't anything related to STDs or sexual activity.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Doctor. But odds are it isn't an STD. Go to your doctor and ask for the series of tests just to be sure - it's confidential (or does hubby get the EOBs because it's his insurer?) and you can say you're concerned about fidelity.

But I've had a yeast infection, completely NOT related to sex, BTW. And if they are bad, the medication can burn and itch initially. I've also had a UTI and it's never affected my vagina and they are definitely different. I don't know about the correlation to the consistency of your period discharge, however. It could be your body is producing more mucus to fight the yeast infection, thereby thinning it out some.

I would keep treating with the monistat following directions and if you see no improvement go to the doctor but go after that regardless for peace of mind.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Doctor. But odds are it isn't an STD. Go to your doctor and ask for the series of tests just to be sure - it's confidential (or does hubby get the EOBs because it's his insurer?) and you can say you're concerned about fidelity.

But I've had a yeast infection, completely NOT related to sex, BTW. And if they are bad, the medication can burn and itch initially. I've also had a UTI and it's never affected my vagina and they are definitely different. I don't know about the correlation to the consistency of your period discharge, however. It could be your body is producing more mucus to fight the yeast infection, thereby thinning it out some.

I would keep treating with the monistat following directions and if you see no improvement go to the doctor but go after that regardless for peace of mind.

I've had yeast infections bad enough to burn when I put the medicine in. It's probably just a bad yeast infection. There is also an infection called bacterial vaginosis. Very similar to a yeast infection but requires antibiotics to get rid of. It has something to do with your ph balance getting out of wac. Gyn's just recently started testing for that routinely. Go to the doc, and calm down. It's probably something very minor.

Reactions: Maricha75

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. This is definitely not a UTI, it is vaginal, but it may be turning into a UTI (I know what those feel like because I was very prone to those as a child because I loved taking bubble baths, and I got the honeymooners UTI when I first met my husband.)

It rarely hurts when I pee, but oh lawdy it hurts when and after I wipe.

I've learned that I have to stay still after putting the suppository in. This means falling asleep for the next 8 hours, or playing on my laptop in the bed. If I get up and walk around, the medicine burns terribly. Day 3 on the treatment and I am feeling a little better, but not cured yet. I am also doing smaller treatments, and have gotten in the habit of doing a nice relaxing shower before treatments.

When I wipe, my tissue is pink/red there is no way that is period blood still.

I hope this works, one minute I will feel fine, the next, I will use the rest room and after I wipe, it burns badly. I think I am going to stick it out until I am done with this treatment, then see my doctor (It is a holiday weekend anyway, can't see him until Tuesday)

I usually have a female PA do my pap smears, and I really don't want a male doctor looking at my twat. = I don't want to go to the doctor.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
t2h you CAN see the PA for this as well. It doesn't have to be THE doctor. You go in, tell the symptoms, what you have done to treat it, and she may even prescribe an antibiotic for it. I have seen PAs and I have seen MDs. Both are able to treat things like this, both are able to prescribe medications.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I usually have a female PA do my pap smears, and I really don't want a male doctor looking at my twat. = I don't want to go to the doctor.
You can get a female PA or a female Nurse Practitioner (they have training and degrees beyond an R.A nurse) to do the checkup. Sometimes the NP can even prescribe meds too depending on what you need. I've had both male and female Gyn docs, but I'm more comfortable with females. It's TOTALLy fine to call them and ask directly for a female to examine you. Trust me..they hear that all the time so it's not like you're unusual in that respect.

·
Administrator
45,121 Posts
No idea what monistat is but either way you should consult your Dr.

I have had an infection in the past, cannot remember the name but it had nothing to do with sex. I think it was bacterial but it was from cycling, sweat and wearing lycra. Just saying there are all sorts of reasons and the only way to find out what is happening is to go to the Dr.
Monistat is an anti-fungal medication for yeast infections.

·
Administrator
45,121 Posts
It's probably a bad yeast infection. Yes they can burn when you first start to use the meds if they are very bad. See a doctor as this sounds particularly bad.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I don't know about the other ladies but I've never had blood/spotting with a yeast infection.

However, if I have a UTI I do pass blood within 12 hours of the first twinge and it becomes AWFUL and I need antibiotics immediately.

So I change my mind - Do go see your doctor right away. Not likely STD, very likely yeast, fungal or bacterial infection.

Also, drink lots of water. Regardless of what it is, diluting your urine will help whether it stings from a UTI or stings the inflamed tender skin outside the urinary tract.

All of these regardless of what they are just happen. Not due to sex, lack of, etc.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I also suggest a doctor. It could be a bacterial yeast infection or your body is sensitive to the yeast infection medicine you used. Plus the prescription yeast infection medicines work so much better then over the counter. If it's a UTI, you need an antibiotic ASAP!

I've have had 5 UTI's in the last year. The first one I didn't know I had one and it went into my kidneys and was very serious. I was hospitalized for 6 nights on IV antibiotics! It took me 2-3 months after that to finally heal. I went back in another time for more IV antibiotics. The vaginal pain was horrific! Plus I had the kidney pain with it. I finally found an oral antibiotic that works well(sulfur) for the UTI's. It's been over a year and I still am having issues. I think it's hormone related and I'm going through pre menopause.

Going to the doctor is very important to get to the bottom of this. I wouldn't worry that this is an STD until a doctor says so. If its a UTI, that's not something you want to procrastinate. Go into urgent care today/tonight if you have to. That's what they are there for.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This particular PA has a one vagina a day sort of rule. I literally make my appointments with her about a month in advance when I have put off my well woman checkup long enough that the doctors are telling me I have to get one done. (something seems to happen about once every 4 years that makes a doctor tell me to get an exam) she is the only female "Doctor" at the practice I go to.

Are Urgent Care Clinics generally open 24/7? We have one here, I have just never gone to it.

If for some reason I can't get into the Urgent Care place (holiday hours, closed weekends etc) is this something I need to run to the ER for or can it wait until Tuesday? (Been burning over a week, what is a few more days?)

Getting ready to go to work now. Did a treatment earlier today then took a nap. not feeling all that great right now. Thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Monistat doesn't work for something called vaginitis (another type of infection, it's bacterial rather than fungal).

Check up time. Do not ignore something like this.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Urgent care is usually open during the day during certain hours here on weekends and evening on weeknights. I would go there instead of the ER. They should be open on Sundays. Which clinic depends on your insurance. If your unsure if a clinic accepts your insurance, call the number on the back of your insurance card. They will be able to help you. The insurance we have also has a 24 hour nurse hotline.

I personally wouldn't wait a month. I'd go in as soon as you can.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.