Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may be familiar with my husband, Hqusafa. We've been having some relationship problems with my weight leading to his not being sexually attracted to me. To be honest, I understand. You should be physically and emotionally attracted to your mate. Unfortunately, after some issues with depression I gained 45 lbs and struggled with various workout and diet programs. I never really succeeded, though, because my heart was never in it due to low self esteem issues from my childhood. But I recently started Lexapro for OCD and found it helped my depression (which I had been denying to myself that I had- didn't want to turn out like my mom). About a month ago everything clicked and I've been working out steadily and have lost 19 lbs from my heaviest (9 from my recent max) so far. I'm less than a pound from my short-term goal and just over 25 lbs from my long-term goal. Unfortunately, everything may have clicked too late. He moved out Monday to get some space to clear his head. Here's my question: How do I show him I've changed, not just for short-term, and how do I appeal to his fitness-loving side?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Bravo.. chillymorn is exactly right.

Can I go out on a limb here? My immediate gut reaction is that your weight isnt really the biggest issue - its the broken relationship. I might be fantastically wrong - I dont know either of you - but I do know very happy, and fat couples. The relationship part, unfortunately - is not quite as easy to fix as losing 25 or 50 lbs. Nor is it that simple to show someone you have changed behaviors for more than the short term.

Dont get me wrong - I think you should be proud of what you are accomplishing... but its going to take some time - and at this point all you can do is keep on getting better - mentally and physically. I think getting active is going to help your outlook on life too - if you can keep it up long enough so that it becomes habit - NOT easy!

Hopefully, he will come back after clearing his head and you will both get a chance to talk about it a bit. I have no doubt he will be able to see your desire to make changes. How long have the 2 of you been struggling? If its been years - then its going to take a while before both of you can gain some confidence back that you are both on the same page again. If its been months, maybe less so. Maybe.

Its sorta like losing weight... after a long slow steady gain... it just seems like it takes more work to lose it. In a relationship that has gone downhill for a time - it can take time and work before you can get out of the hole you have fallen into. I think trying to 'appeal to his fitness loving side' is a good idea, but again - it may sound hollow at first until you are both convinced. Has he (or you) ever moved out before or brought the relationship to a crisis point?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Im just speaking for myself, but I would never walk out on a gf/wife because they got fat. My W gained 40+ lbs in the few months after we got married and I didn't give a hoot for me, although i cared about her self esteem. even if it did bother me (her wieght) I have trouble with a guy who walks out on gf/wife over weight.

im sorry, it seems narcissitic and selfish. could be wrong. not sure about the rest of the story.......

good for you though, msaugust. keep it up. best wishes to you.
hope hubby comes back.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Some of you may be familiar with my husband, Hqusafa. We've been having some relationship problems with my weight leading to his not being sexually attracted to me. To be honest, I understand. You should be physically and emotionally attracted to your mate. Unfortunately, after some issues with depression I gained 45 lbs and struggled with various workout and diet programs. I never really succeeded, though, because my heart was never in it due to low self esteem issues from my childhood. But I recently started Lexapro for OCD and found it helped my depression (which I had been denying to myself that I had- didn't want to turn out like my mom). About a month ago everything clicked and I've been working out steadily and have lost 19 lbs from my heaviest (9 from my recent max) so far. I'm less than a pound from my short-term goal and just over 25 lbs from my long-term goal. Unfortunately, everything may have clicked too late. He moved out Monday to get some space to clear his head. Here's my question: How do I show him I've changed, not just for short-term, and how do I appeal to his fitness-loving side?
Dear I would keep working out. I would attempt to work out with him and do your best to out work him. Make it a fun competition between the two of you. As far as moving out that is just pain odd and doesn't make sense. I would check his phone records, email, and facebook. I would make sure that there isn't something or someone else going on. Please don't ignore the second half of my advice. KEep us updated.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Depression, OCD and low self esteem. You say the biggest problem in your relationship is that you packed on 45 Lbs over 18 months - of which you have lost 19Lbs in the past month. Then he moves out.

Im not buying this. Not completely.

Married couples do not frequently separate and move out because one of them is carying an extra 25 Lbs. Do they?

If you really say thats is the bottom line - I think your husband is an a$$ - or there is more to it.

You know... I bet if I checked my wifes weight... I can bet she is 25 lbs heavier than when I met her 25 years ago. She has terminal pear shape too, which I know drives her nuts. But - I find her incredibly sexy. Just for example.

What else do you 2 fight about?

I had a fight with the wife about her inability to throw old leftover food in the fridge away. We argue about some real stupid things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There really haven't been any other fights. This has been the only issue. At least the only one he's communicated to me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My wife doubled her weight at one point.

If I'm any indication of maleness.. It is NOT the weight that's the issue. Period. It may be what he says, he might even be really "repulsed" by it, but still is NOT the issue. Something else is, and that's the pretext for it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes... BE the person you want to be.

Don't talk about it...be it.

If you want to be someone who eats healthy and exercises...BE someone who eats healthy and exercises.

·
Registered
41 Posts
" How do I show him I've changed, not just for short-term, and how do I appeal to his fitness-loving side?"

I agree with anotherguy. Also
Take care of yourself keep doing what makes you happy. If you don't get him back does that mean you give up on your diet and exercise? NO!! You must take care of yourself first then all things come after that. You deserve to be happy no matter what. Good Luck

·
Banned
1,999 Posts
Depression, OCD and low self esteem. You say the biggest problem in your relationship is that you packed on 45 Lbs over 18 months - of which you have lost 19Lbs in the past month. Then he moves out.

Im not buying this. Not completely.

Married couples do not frequently separate and move out because one of them is carying an extra 25 Lbs. Do they?

If you really say thats is the bottom line - I think your husband is an a$$ - or there is more to it.

You know... I bet if I checked my wifes weight... I can bet she is 25 lbs heavier than when I met her 25 years ago. She has terminal pear shape too, which I know drives her nuts. But - I find her incredibly sexy. Just for example.

What else do you 2 fight about?

I had a fight with the wife about her inability to throw old leftover food in the fridge away. We argue about some real stupid things.
:iagree::iagree: My husband and I have both gained weight since we met, moved in together and married. We still find each other very sexy. It is like he does not even see my slight stomach pooch. All he talks about is my curves and how hot they make me look.

We argue about dumb sh!t too and then we laugh and hug it out. Life is too short.

I think the weight is a red herring. The OP's husband has some more issues which he is not ready to discuss.

·
Banned
484 Posts
A man that moves out because his wife gained weight is clearly not ready/able to be a husband. I'm sure there are good things about him, but think about what he's teling you right now. "Your physical appearance determines whether or not I will be in your presence. Though I vowed to love, honor and protect you, I meant that i'd only do those things when you look pretty, and when you look less pretty, I'll just move out." Is that the type of husband you want? Surely, you're worth so much more than that. Your husband is just a man, a childish, foolish man imo, he's not special and he certainly isn't doing you any favors by staying married to you. If you want to lose the weight, you should. But clearly he is unable to be a capable husband.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
aribabe said it perfectly. I know that it has to hurt like hell and I'm sorry for that. But do you really want a guy back who moves out on you when things are tough? You are suffering from OCD/depression/childhood issues and he is not willing to take them into account. That just seems really messed up to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Aribabe is smart!

I watched the other thread started by your husband (http://talkaboutmarriage.com/sex-marriage/37278-another-wife-less-attractive-now-thread-long-post-ready.html ) and have found myself angry and hurt for you. As I said there, you are too good to be treated as he is treating you.

EDIT: Geez, I just went back and read the first post by the OP in that thread I linked to. I am SO mad AGAIN, I am ready to hurt someone! (can you guess who?)

So much I want to say... but biting my tongue. Please, please, PLEASE get into some IC so you can get some help realizing that YOU are worth so much more then you will ever be valued by that man. I know you hurt right now, but in the long run, you will be much better off without him!

Please take care of yourself.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Seems you lost a lot of weight on Monday. If I was you, I'd not let him move back in anytime soon. You should serve him divorce papers while he's "clearing his head" and move on with life.

Sorry my advice isn't helpful, but I think you deserve better than what you're getting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.