Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband left me about 6 weeks ago. We have been married for just one year but together for 3 before that. We had been arguing alot and he finally said he had enough and he just couldn't do it anymore. I was at my cousins wedding and not even in the same city as him when he decided this. He told me over the phone. At that point in our relationship I was 16 weeks pregnant. What was the "straw that broke the camels back" - his increased drinking… I left for the wedding on a Thursday - that night he went out and got drunk. I called to speak with him on Friday and lo and behold he was drinking again. I was upset that he felt the need to drink the entire time I was away and expressed this to him. Then BOOM - he's done.

So now here I am 6 weeks later, 22 weeks pregnant, and am still feeling so lost and utterly alone. He started out being so nice and caring asking me not to hate him and checking in everyday to see that I was alright. I was already having a difficult pregnancy and I am sure he was having trouble dealing with that as well. But the added stress only made the difficult pregnancy worse. I lost 9 pounds in 7 days when he said he couldn't do this anymore. I don't eat, I don't sleep, and I don't know what to do. I thought if I gave him some space we could work on the relationship and ideally one day reconcile. But he said he did not want too. He says all we do is fight and we never did anything that he wanted to do. He said and still says he loves me and he always will. My heart tells me that he hasn't had an affair (I honestly believe that he would have said so by now given all the harsh words he has said to me). The worst part is that the pregnancy was his idea. Of course I wanted children but never with someone who didn't want to be a supporting husband during a very emotional time in my life. I never wanted to give a child a life that I wouldn't want to give myself. He has said he was unhappy for a long time. But no one saw it coming but him.....our families, both mine and his did not see this coming.....I certainly did not see this coming......not even one friend has said anything to the effect that they knew this was coming.....no one knows what to say to me to make me feel better because no one understands how this happened......everyone refers to us as the "golden" couple....if they were going to bet money on a relationship that would last they all would have picked us.....It is all so confusing to me.

I have been trying real hard not to hate him for doing this to me. I have been trying to be his "friend" even though I would never ever have friends that would just walk away from a relationship, but for the baby I am trying. He is hurting me so much by not even asking how the baby is doing - I have to go to the doctors every week for a prenatal appointment (that's how serious my health has gotten). Every week I get to hear the babies heart beat and get measured for growth and he doesn't even care to ask how things are progressing yet claims he wants to be involved in everything to do with the baby. Last night he was very blunt. He told me that we are separated and we are not together and I need to realize this, I know we are not together right now I am not stupid. I'm just trying not to hate him right now....but I just don't know what to do anymore.

He was so mad at me one night; he said I should just get the seperation papers to him as soon as possible and we will deal with the child later and he hung up on me. Then the next day called to apologize. I want to work on our relationship. If people can work through affairs and work through more difficult things why can we not work through fighting??? I want to be with him. I want him to be a husband and a father to our child. What to do - how to do it....I have never felt so alone

·
Registered
18 Posts
He sounds like a complete twat.

Can you get support from family or medical staff I don't think you can change his behaviour you got to rely on oher suppurt hunni.

Hope you can keep your spirits up.

Fin x

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a lot of support from my family and friends. I actually live in a small town of less then 4000 people and surprisingly several members of the community have been there for me as well. Some of them I don't even know have come to ask if there is anything they can do to help. In that aspect I am lucky.

And he does sound like a twat I know - didn't stop me from falling in love with him.

But reality hit me last night like a brick house - and today I know that this will end in divorce. It hurts but the baby is more important then he will ever be to me. Even is we were together the child needs me more then he ever could.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Your situation reminds me a lot of my own in some ways. My baby was only a few months old when my husband decided that it wouldn't work anymore. I was a little more ready for it though because he too had started drinking quite a lot when I was pregnant and it went out of control after the baby was born. Still, his family and my own were floored by it. All that I can tell you is that it does get better. It sounds like you are ready to focus on your baby and that is what is really important. You cannot control this mans involvement. Trust me, my own ex rarely ever takes our baby when he's supposed to. But your baby is going to have one very amazing thing ... You! And trust me, once that little one joins the world you will see his happiness with life every single time that he looks up at you ... and you will know that you will both be okay. For now, just focus on doing hat is good for you! Take long baths, read books, take walks and buy a little something just for you now and again! No matter how things look now, they will get better.
Good luck to you and your precious little one! I know you both will find joy in one another and all those who love and stand by you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. I am going thorugh a divorce with one year old twins and similar to someone that was good. I think they cant take the pressure of being parents, although they say they wanted to. I dont want to hate him and I pray to God to show me how to forgive . My counselor has told me on many occasions that I cannot make him be a good parent, so u cant make him ask u how the baby is doing. This sounds horrible!! And the best advice form my counselor is to stop talking to him, because the answers he gives u will hurt u. I am so sorry you are going through this...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just been hard to be the couple that everyone is jealous of only to find out that my husband doesn't feel the same way. It still hurts everyday but I am slowly trying to heal the wounds he has caused me by trying to forget about him. But even that is hard because all he has taken from the house is clothes. Everything else is still at the house. I have decided that I will pack his stuff as a sort of closure to the relationship I guess. I am really not looking forward to this but I have decided to start this process tonight. I hope this will all be over with and I will be in a better place emotionally when I have the baby. Thank you for the good wishes - I'm certainly going to need it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My heart goes out to you. The first thing I want to tell you is you have amazing strength for accepting that you may have to something as monumental as raising a child on your own. You are looking to a future, a prosmising one, and that is all that we can really do in this life. Just keep hoping that each day we will get a little stronger.

Take care of yourself, because your baby is still in you, so keep your health your number one goal.

It breaks my heart to hear all of these sad stories, but you are not alone. We are not alone. I feel sad for all of these men who are not truly grateful for the wonderful women that have been placed in their life. It's like..will they ever be happy?? I dont know, but what you have to do is focus on yourself. You will get through this. Sounds like your already starting by accepting the reality. The facts are sometimes much harder accept, its so much easier just to go off feelings.

Here's to a new you! God bless your baby, he or she is a gift :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just have to say I feel like I know you. I just joined this sight as I have many others trying to find some hope and answers that I know noone can give me. My fiance of 3 years doesnt want me any longer because I accidentally got pregnant with a 2nd baby while on birth control. We have 5 kids total and are good parents and love our family. The major setback is that he is an alcoholic although he functions day to day very well. This is a problem that has been going on for years before me. He isnt ready to admit it. Amongst him threatening me to get an abortion (I am 13 weeks) and telling me if I have it he is leaving me anyway (well kicking us out because he owns our home). I got fed up with the constant drinking and it came to a head. Now he feels threatened and violated and is throwing a temper tantrum. The words and actions that come out of this man are like nothing I have ever seen. They cut deeper than he will ever know.
AS for your story. Not knowing every detail, I have to say that I dont think too many woman go into this situation wanting to be a single mom. It is a hard job..... The hardest job. I took care of my 3 kids from my previous marriage for 5 years without a lick of help. It was hard but it can be done. My suggestion to you would be if he is mean then dont talk to him! If he doesnt ask how the baby is (which should also include how are you!!!) Dont give the info to him. You can be civil without being a doormat. You and your baby deserve that at this point. Maybe the unknown will shake him up a bit. I dont know to what extent he drinks but if its anything like what I have then he could possibly have some mental damage as well as physical that could be aiding his horrible behavior. If your heart tells you that its not an affair then it probably isnt. But it doesnt take your pain away and it doesnt ease you at all. You are still entitled to your feelings and honey, at this point in time if there is no other you should be able to express them! I can tell you this much that I do know because its all I can hang onto at this point for myself....is that it will get easier. If it is meant to be then it will be....either way with him or without him. Your heart will guide you and your love for your precious baby will get you through it. Hold tough and focus on you and your baby....Try and gain those 9lbs back sweetie.
I could go on and on because you seem to have a story that is semi similar to mine and that is harder to come by. Big hugs going your way!!!

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
You've been together for 3 years, it's not very short, so you've known your husband very well. He was a good man, this is not him, otherwise you wouldn't have married to him. You needed his love, lots of love and care for you. However, from what you posted, instead of asking him for love and care, you argued and fought with him. You hated him. There's no peace he can wish. Don't you think so? What can he do? When a wife became hard to get alone to the extreme, he had given up on all his dreams in a beautiful marriage ,feeling regretful to marry you even you have his baby. He felt he's a loser anyway.
Then you would go on hating him more and making him worthnothing as the biggest loser in the whole world... He would run even further from you...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
Of course you should dump him if he's really a loser... You know this is not him, the man who you have been in love with... It's very pity for both of you to end this way.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Part of the problem was that I did tell him that I needed him - I told him I was lonely and that I needed him, but he did not listen to me. When I told him I was scared about what my body was going through and I am scared about labour – he didn’t even listen. I know this now because the other night on the phone he said to me “You never once told me you were scared” and “Women give birth all the time”. I understand women give birth all the time – but I haven’t ever done it before.....because others have done it shouldn’t be a worry for me?

I wish there had been signs that something was wrong besides the fights. We had one bad month and then bam he’s done. I wish he would have stopped telling me everyday that he loved me and I wish he would not have made love to me all the time. I wish he would have pulled away...maybe he did and I was too busy being upset I didn’t even notice...

I finally went and sought legal advice – when I told him about it he got upset with me. Everytime I have tried to talk to him about it since then he has made an excuse to not discuss anything with me. He’s dragging this out longer and longer and hurting me more and more.

When I re-read what I have posted I think – “wow he is a selfish jerk – why am I even upset about all of this?” But I am. Everyday I am.

·
Registered
39,804 Posts
I doubt you only had one bad month. He said as much - he never got to do what he wanted, fighting, etc.

I'm not saying he is not an ass for leaving you. I'm just saying that if you want to try to save your marriage, you will listen to him and figure out what has made him so unhappy. Go to marriagebuilders.com and print out the Love Buster questionnaire for men, and ask him to fill it out; he should have no problem telling you what you did wrong. Then read it and really try to learn where you went wrong with YOUR half (if indeed you did), so that you can STOP those behaviors that made him willing to walk away.

Once you address that and get him more willing to at least talk to you, then you can address HIS side.

·
Registered
67 Posts
"You never once told me you were scared” and “Women give birth all the time”. I understand women give birth all the time – but I haven’t ever done it before.....because others have done it shouldn’t be a worry for me?
People start school all the time too. And they have their first relationships, get married, buy houses, lose their parents, have health scares, have grandkids and eventually die all the time too. These things are all called 'Rites of Passage', and none of them should be downplayed. They are incredibly significant times in the lifespan of a human being and each milestone deserves the respect and support of those involved. It is hard to fathom a father-to-be being quite so offhand about this matter.

When he said "Women give birth all the time" you could have said "Yes, and this woman is giving birth to your baby so a little support would be appreciated".

I'm trying really hard not to rant about this, because regardless of the problems with the relationship prior to the pregnancy, it is the biggest thing you have ever done and are ever likely to do, and for the father to say such rubbish about women giving birth all the time and expecting you to spell out to him that you are scared when that should simply be implied, well it just makes my blood boil.

Good luck to you dear

·
Registered
39,804 Posts
It's really a matter of self-respect. Do you respect yourself enough to be MAD about his poor treatment of you? You should.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do respect myself enough and am very mad at my H. Most of the time I don’t even refer to him as my H anymore – a H wouldn’t treat anyone this way.

I was in shock about this entire situation. I was in shock that he 1. left me while I was pregnant with his child that he had PLANNED with me - but now know that he was involved in an EA with another woman – there is no doubt in my mind. He will not admit this to me. And actually said that there is no such thing as an EA and it’s completely made up….I have no comment as I know very well that it is not a made up thing. & 2. I cannot believe the vindictive things he has been saying to me. But I am no longer in shock - now I am pissed right off.

I no longer wish to reconcile with my H or communicate with him.

Two nights ago I told him that I do not think we should communicate anymore and I will speak with either his mother or father and inform them of the progress with the pregnancy as there is no reason for us to talk. I said when I go into labour I will let you know, but you are not welcome to be there during the actual labour.

I ask him to not call me and he calls me, I ask him to not text me and he texts me. I return calls that are in regards to the baby and try to not talk about anything else. But even then it doesn't stay where it should be. This is so frustrating, so stressful and so unbelievably painful.

He tells me how much he hates talking to me and doesn't even want to see me, he calls me a Stone Cold B*tch when I say it hurts me to know that his baby will not recognize his voice when it arrives as it has not heard it (I told him I was hurting for him and feeling sorry for what he was missing out on – and he calls me that - WTF). Then texts me a couple hours later to ask me what my plans are for the weekend, from the OW’s house, and asks me if I want to hang out with him. Ummm NO - of course I don’t. I am so angry and the damage is done. I hate that he is behaving this way and I currently resent that he is the father of my baby. Do not think that I resent the baby as that is not the case.

But in all honesty - I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
39,804 Posts
Change your phone number and your email if you're not strong enough to not return his calls.

Have you told his parents what he did?

btw, an EA is quite simply spending time with a member of the opposite sex in a manner in which you wouldn't include your spouse, or also hiding it from your spouse. He qualifies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well he doesn't e-mail me which I guess is a good thing. But my cell phone is a company phone so unfortunately I do not have much power when it comes to changing the number or even blocking a number.

I have found that his parents know very little about anything. I have only spoken to his step-mom 1 time since the separation. She let me know of her and his dad's unhappiness with my H and his decision to walk away. They talk to him because they love him but not as much as they used too. They really didn't even know anything that has been going on with me or my health or anything so I cannot rely on him to pass any information onto them and I am not sure speaking with his parents will help me get any farther ahead anyways.

I have only recently started to share my feelings on this EA that he has had and I told him that if people ask me what happened that I will say there was an EA.

He is constantly keeping me in this loop of treating me so poorly and then being nice and apologetic. Saying that he only said these things because I have said hurtful things to him and he doesn’t hold everything I say to him against me so I shouldn’t hold them against him. He really has no idea how much this is constantly hurting me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.