Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've been struggling with this for a while, and I found this site, so I'm hoping to get some help here.

My husband and I have been married for 10 years now. We have one child (4yo), a house, animals, etc. The problem is that, essentially, I feel like my husband is just a roommate. Our level of intimacy is pretty much nil, don't remember the last time we had sex. I can count on 1 hand the number of orgasms I've had with him. We have pretty open lines of communication, and I've spoken to him about my concerns. But, short of nagging him incessantly, nothing is changing. He has problems with his libido, and it sounds like it's mental, but after 1 counseling session, he just doesn't bother to do anything about anything. He's content where he is (his words) and with our relationship. He has no desire for more, and yet I feel like that's all I want - more.

I don't like the idea of divorce. But I feel kind of hopeless here. I'm not happy, and he knows I'm not. I'm not happy with my job, but I feel like I can't do anything about it because we have obligations and responsibilities. I feel stuck.

Advice?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I’m sorry your hear.
Unfortunately, I don’t think your situation is that uncommon. Man happy with very little, he low effort, and women needs/wants more and is unhappy.

The problem is that he knows you’re unhappy and doesn’t change. But I’m guessing you haven’t changed anything either, so you both are stuck.

You sound a little depressed, which I’m sure it’s situational depression and I don’t blame you. You somehow have to get out of this funk you are in. And to do that, YOU need to do something different. Because he is never going to change.

I guess what I am trying to say is don’t let him bring you down with him. If he wants to be down and out that’s fine. But don’t let him drag you down. Maybe when he sees you with a little more sparkle and happiness and new vibe for life, then maybe he will change. And if he doesn’t, well at least your not where you started.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I’m sorry your hear.
and I'm also sorry you're here . You've done an admirable job of distinguishing the difference between a friendly "roommate" relationship and a sexual marriage relationship. it is something we need to be reminded of. Marriage is a sexual relationship well above simple compatibility, friendship or even chore responsibility. I often comment that without trust a relationship doesn't exist, it is equally true that without sex a marriage doesn't exist. Just two people pretending to be married for appearances sake.
As in other areas of relationship it is appropriate to demand that your emotional needs (including a rich and fulfilling sex life) are met. If he needs therapy to do that then therapy is the price of admission to the marriage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m sorry your hear.
Unfortunately, I don’t think your situation is that uncommon. Man happy with very little, he low effort, and women needs/wants more and is unhappy.

The problem is that he knows you’re unhappy and doesn’t change. But I’m guessing you haven’t changed anything either, so you both are stuck.

You sound a little depressed, which I’m sure it’s situational depression and I don’t blame you. You somehow have to get out of this funk you are in. And to do that, YOU need to do something different. Because he is never going to change.

I guess what I am trying to say is don’t let him bring you down with him. If he wants to be down and out that’s fine. But don’t let him drag you down. Maybe when he sees you with a little more sparkle and happiness and new vibe for life, then maybe he will change. And if he doesn’t, well at least your not where you started.
I do have problems with depression, I take medication for it and usually manage it pretty well. My issue is that I'm dwelling on these problems and not feeling like I have the time to fix or change the problems. I will work on my own happiness more, currently trying to get myself healthy and get back into writing. So far it hasn't helped yet, but I'll keep chugging along with it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
30,629 Posts
He has, they referred him to a counselor because they said it was probably to do with anxiety and low self esteem. He saw the counselor once, and hasn't made any follow up appointments.
There's a member on TAM who was not having sex with his wife. At all. It transpired that he had a severe testosterone deficiency, which, after treatment, resulted in him being able to have sex again.

It's good that they referred your husbands for counselling, but did they check his testosterone levels, too?

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I do have problems with depression, I take medication for it and usually manage it pretty well. My issue is that I'm dwelling on these problems and not feeling like I have the time to fix or change the problems. I will work on my own happiness more, currently trying to get myself healthy and get back into writing. So far it hasn't helped yet, but I'll keep chugging along with it. Thanks!
Good for you! The problem is when there are two depressed people and they just bring each other down and keep each other down. It’s really difficult to get out of that rut as you know.
The only power you have is to change yourself. And by doing that, maybe he will change, but don’t do it for him.

You got this girl! You just need some positivity, and some up lifting people in your life!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How old are you? Would you like more children? Would he?
I'm 29, we were married young. Yes, I'd like another child but I don't want to even consider it until our relationship is better. And anyway it's not physically possible with the state of our marriage right now if that makes sense. We've always talked about not until such and such happens, but at this point it's looking like we aren't going to have any more children.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a member on TAM who was not having sex with his wife. At all. It transpired that he had a severe testosterone deficiency, which, after treatment, resulted in him being able to have sex again.

It's good that they referred your husbands for counselling, but did they check his testosterone levels, too?
He is on a low dose depression medicine, and the doctor just said "yeah that's a symptom, go talk to a counselor." My husband is a veteran, so the level of in depth medical care he receives is minimal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm 29, we were married young. Yes, I'd like another child but I don't want to even consider it until our relationship is better. And anyway it's not physically possible with the state of our marriage right now if that makes sense. We've always talked about not until such and such happens, but at this point it's looking like we aren't going to have any more children.
So what I'm wondering is, is that going to be a dealbreaker for you? And does he know that? Because if he doesn't, he should. It's all very well for him to say he's happy how things are but there are two people in this marriage. He's being quite selfish.

29 is very young. Can you really imagine yourself being in a sexless marriage for thirty, forty years or more if he refuses to address the issue?

·
Registered
431 Posts
First off, since your husband is a veteran, I respect and thank him for his service to his country. All veterans deserve better from our countries. I'm sorry that he dosen't receive better medical care for his sacrifices. Is PTSD a factor for him?

I'm sorry to hear of your situation in general. Everyone deserves to have their sexual desires satisfied somewhat, if not fully met.

Here are my concerns. Are you prepared to be in a sexless marriage for the long term, if nothing changes? Are you prepared to never have another baby? Are you satisfied with never being really SATISFIED?

I'm currently stuck in a sexless marriage. For 43 years of marriage the sex was nearly nonexistent. I stuck out with my LD wife for the sake of our children. Now at age 65, I'm regreting staying with her for as long as I have.

Things need to change for both of you. Medical testing is needed. Current drugs need to be adjusted and new drugs initiated for trial. You both need therapy and counseling. I would give all this a couple years at most.

If all the above fails, I think you should seek to move towards disolving your marriage. JMHO.

Hot damn, when God was giving out testosterone , why'd he give it all to ME.!!!. Lol. And then, just to be a huge jokester, he saddled me with a LOW DESIRE woman.!!!.

Like really, why can't everyone just have the same amount of sexual desire? Why can't we better choose our mates based on sexual compatibility?

I'm growing more and more sick of hearing of these sexual inequalities. There is NO comfort in knowing that I'm not alone.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
He is on a low dose depression medicine, and the doctor just said "yeah that's a symptom, go talk to a counselor." My husband is a veteran, so the level of in depth medical care he receives is minimal.
Oh that pill. I took it for a few months. It deleted my interest in sex. That part actually helped me. I got to see how my wife felt, and she got to see how I felt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off, since your husband is a veteran, I respect and thank him for his service to his country. All veterans deserve better from our countries. I'm sorry that he dosen't receive better medical care for his sacrifices. Is PTSD a factor for him?

I'm sorry to hear of your situation in general. Everyone deserves to have their sexual desires satisfied somewhat, if not fully met.

Here are my concerns. Are you prepared to be in a sexless marriage for the long term, if nothing changes? Are you prepared to never have another baby? Are you satisfied with never being really SATISFIED?

I'm currently stuck in a sexless marriage. For 43 years of marriage the sex was nearly nonexistent. I stuck out with my LD wife for the sake of our children. Now at age 65, I'm regreting staying with her for as long as I have.

Things need to change for both of you. Medical testing is needed. Current drugs need to be adjusted and new drugs initiated for trial. You both need therapy and counseling. I would give all this a couple years at most.

If all the above fails, I think you should seek to move towards disolving your marriage. JMHO.

Hot damn, when God was giving out testosterone , why'd he give it all to ME.!!!. Lol. And then, just to be a huge jokester, he saddled me with a LOW DESIRE woman.!!!.

Like really, why can't everyone just have the same amount of sexual desire? Why can't we better choose our mates based on sexual compatibility?

I'm growing more and more sick of hearing of these sexual inequalities. There is NO comfort in knowing that I'm not alone.
This is very helpful insight, thank you!

He does have mild PTSD, thus the need for meds now for anxiety and mild depression. I really don't want to be in a sexless marriage, which is why I've been bugging my husband more and more about getting this figured out. But again, after a while, I just get sick of nagging him to do something about it. I don't want to feel like his mother, and when I'm constantly reminding him to even take his depression meds, it gets exhausting.

I'll get him to make an appt to get his testosterone levels checked, and get another counseling appointment scheduled. Maybe see if he can go through his work's insurance rather than the VA (wait time for an appt is typically a month, minimum).

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
What, exactly, did the Dr say is a symptom?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts