Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone on the east coast (I'm in Northern New Jersey) the rain started about 15 minutes ago so I guess this is the beginning!

I work in NYC and work has been closed already.

Stay dry and good luck weathering this one!

·
Registered
43 Posts
My little sister and her husband live in NYC. Thankfully she's visiting with us now and won't be dealing with it. Her husband is a staff at NYU hospital and will be working overtime the whole time. We're concerned about him...

Stay safe and dry! You're all in our thoughts! Hope everybody will be okay.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I live in the Jersey shore area right where its supposed to hit hard. We'll see...Hurricane Irene was nothing so hopefully this will putter out too. I got to leave work early tonight so I could be home with the kiddos (woot!) & the school's already called that they're closing Monday and Tues.

Everyone in the areas that are supposed to get hit, stay safe.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Me too Bubbly! About 150 feet from the sea. Crazy evacuations here because of flooding. We're set to stay at this point but will leave and have bags packed for tomorrow morning just in case. My kids' school has also closed Mon/Tues. Keeping fingers crossed it makes a hard right off to sea!
Good luck and stay safe! I hope you don't have to evacuate, but you and your family's safety is the most important thing. Your situation is worse than mine... I'm about 3 blocks from the bay. My niece lives right on the water, and they were evacuated this morning.

ETA: The kids are kind of bummed that Halloween's been cancelled, but they're more than happy that school's been canceled for 2 days. lol

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
As a native Marylander, I recall all too well the havoc wrecked when the hurricane of September '03 came screaming up the Chesapeake. I lucked out, only losing power for a couple days, but friends of mine living on the northeast side of Baltimore were without power for over a week.

I had enough of hurricanes, Nor'easters, and snow (like the dumping we got in 2009 and 2010), so I headed west in mid-August. I am now sitting in my office with the window open, desk fan on low, and enjoying 80 degrees with 15 percent humidity.

All you guys on the East Coast, stay dry. But most importantly STAY SAFE!

Reactions: Emerald

·
Registered
150 Posts
Stay safe (and dry!)! In NYC and watching the storm from the window at my boyfriend's place. Kind of amazing to watch when you're indoors.

Didn't have to go to work today so I'm chilling at home =D Never mess with Mother Nature...

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
They've closed everything in md today and pa is starting to shut down too.my firm is closing early as well since no business will be getting done anyway.
bought my supplies in case the power goes out and got gas over the weekend. so i'm all set.
stay safe people! :)

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
I wish you guys luck.

We had it down here in Jamaica and some other islands,when it was just a tropical storm,aka a " baby hurricane."

For almost two weeks it did lots of damage and then strengthened into a hurricane and headed up north.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Supposed to come up as far as Windsor, Ontario, I read, and stretch through to the Maritimes. Hard to believe at the moment, beautiful morning in Montreal, sun shining and 10 degrees...peaceful and calm at the airport, no impact yet!

Here's to all of our safety!

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Supposed to come up as far as Windsor, Ontario, I read, and stretch through to the Maritimes. Hard to believe at the moment, beautiful morning in Montreal, sun shining and 10 degrees...peaceful and calm at the airport, no impact yet!

Here's to all of our safety!
Brrr, that's cold. JK. Travelling or do you work there?

Wind but not much rain yet, a bit NW of NYC.

Yes, stay safe.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm from Boston and it's crazy windy now, they say the worst will be around 3-6pm. School is closed here too and it's already along day.
stay safe everyone

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess on the upside of this, all the leaves will be down from the trees afterwards so I should only have one more fall clean-ip to do!

Pretty nasty and ugly looking outside here in NJ right now but not anything severe.

Schools here are also closed for Mon and Tuesday and my work is closed today too (Hardly ever happens but when NYC (where I work) shuts down mass transit, it really hampers getting to the office for most of our people

Lots of trees on my piece of property so I'm just staring at them as the winds gust here and there. Wondering when and if we'll lose power on this one. That rare snowstorm in October last year knocked down a telephone pole in front of my house, ripped the wires of my house causing 2,000 in damage and left us without power for 6 days. Not looking forwaed to that again!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I understand the need for caution & preparedness (I'm from New Orleans), but here in the metro DC area, I think they've over reacted. Metro systems shut down since last night before the rain even started falling, schools already closed for Monday & Tuesday. Yes its now raining and there is some light wind. But a total shutdown was a bit early I think.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
My husband is in DC for work. He mentioned they might cancel classes today (wishful thinking on his part) but so far nope. He's on a military base so he's about as safe as he can get.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Brrr, that's cold. JK. Travelling or do you work there?

Wind but not much rain yet, a bit NW of NYC.

Yes, stay safe.
10 Celsius! Which isn't bad for this time of year :)

Not travelling, work here. No alerts yet, everything still normal. So we're not too far apart, NYC driving distance for us. About 7 hrs. I'm waiting for the wind to start. Many old trees in the neighborhood, so that part is worrisome. Last year around this time, huge maple downed in a storm (Irene, maybe?), two doors down.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.