Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
With the additional back ground info you supplied my opinion is the VP I'm the VP, she is the President. is hoping to steer this current project herself or give someone else a chance to manage it and is including you in the loop as a courtesy because of your past contributions or because she is trying to gently let you know you won't be involved as deeply in this project as you have been with past projects. There's nothing wrong with an organization looking for fresh ideas and trying different options. I only became VP last spring. So I'm pretty fresh myself. I would have thought that the Pres and VP works together and makes these kinds of decisions. Why would the Pres want to play me off other people. What's the point of having elections if the President treats the rest of the officers with same regard as nyone else off the street?

Frankly I'm not sure why you find offense with this, I think you are being overly sensitive. Maybe, because like most women I want to be loved for my mind (planning) as well as for my body (execution) So what if they plan something without you being involved, that doesn't mean they're treating their volunteers badly, if you still want to help the organization go with the flow if I wanted to just go with the flow, then I would not have run for an office. If and do what you can, otherwise just sit this one out.
See above.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
See above.
Sorry, my bad. I must have skimmed thru your first post too quickly, I thought you stated the VP had sent you the message and you were a volunteer.

So changing my answer....Yes as a VP you should be involved in any organizational planning for your area or chapter. I would guess the president feels an obligation to try and keep you in the loop because of your position but doesn't necessarily want to work with you and doesn't value your opinion.

In that light I would say her email was both dismissive and condescending.

Why not show up to all meetings? Don't wait to be invited, I'm sure you have other contacts in the organization to let you know when a meeting is taking place. You do have a right to be there unless something in the organizations bylaws gives the president absolute power to structure and direct the organization as she sees fit, and if that was the case why have elected officials other than the president.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry, my bad. I must have skimmed thru your first post too quickly, I thought you stated the VP had sent you the message and you were a volunteer.

So changing my answer....Yes as a VP you should be involved in any organizational planning for your area or chapter. I would guess the president feels an obligation to try and keep you in the loop because of your position but doesn't necessarily want to work with you and doesn't value your opinion.

In that light I would say her email was both dismissive and condescending.

Why not show up to all meetings? Don't wait to be invited, I'm sure you have other contacts in the organization to let you know when a meeting is taking place. You do have a right to be there unless something in the organizations bylaws gives the president absolute power to structure and direct the organization as she sees fit, and if that was the case why have elected officials other than the president.
Thanks for that Cooper.

My guess here is that some of the committee may be made of people at the Country level. 4 of which I have met. And judging from the entire e-mail that the President sent to me, this committee could be looking at not only our region in this country but a couple of others. Could the head of the committee only want one person per chapter officially involved?

Still, I want to know who is involved; regular updates; thought process of the members and so on.

And yes, I do find it insulting that they are happy to accept my donkey work but not accept any thoughts and input out in the planning.

We'll see what the President has to say. But without explicitly telling her (as I may change my mind), I could easily see myself turning down her summons to do some work. Imagine being asked to set up and close down (ie clean up.) No thanks.

I'm glad to ruminate here so that I can be very evenhanded when I speak with her.

So more comments please.........

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Can I plagiarize this?? Lmao
Posted via Mobile

There's got to be a time when I can use this in response to one of the ex's texts!!! ��
Device
Feel free - enjoy! :)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I am not sure of what the meaning is but I do know what my response would be:

"At the end of the day it would be a no-brainer and involve us thinking completely outside the box in order to, going forward, achieve 110% a win-win situation and will be on my radar, flagging up at the close of play for me to touch base with you. Suffice it to say that the ensuing paradigm shift will have me beside myself, jumping out of my skin to square the circle, if you get my drift."
+1 for including "paradigm". More points if you could work in "synergistic".

·
Registered
188 Posts
We're you elected VP? Nominated or endorsed by the Pres?

Unfortunately, volunteer organizations can have internal politics, people with hidden agendas, personality conflicts, cliques, etc. All counterproductive to the actual mission of the org.

You should decide if those "other" issues are worth it or whether you just want to contribute to the overall org's mission and ignore the rest. I've joined, also served as officer and/or board on a few and left some of those because I felt my time was more valuable than the BS required to serve - even though the org does good work.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I need more info on your relationship with this person. Do you have another thread ? My view is a horse is a house until it is a zebra. Questioning this is healthy just need more info to deciede.

I think your response was a good one.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
+1 for including "paradigm". More points if you could work in "synergistic".
Actually the meaningless/overused/frivolous phrases I am most proud of include:

At the end of the day…

No brainer…

Thinking outside the box…

Going forward…

Achieve 110%…

Win-win situation…

On my radar…

Flagging up…

Close of play…

Touch base…

Beside myself…

Jumping out of my skin…

Square the circle…

Get my drift...

in addition to paradigm shift. Must admit, synergistic should be in there too.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I need more info on your relationship with this person. Do you have another thread ? My view is a horse is a house until it is a zebra. Questioning this is healthy just need more info to deciede.

I think your response was a good one.
More information? Anything in particular? I've already given some background information, but maybe you could point me to additional aspects that I should consider.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
@manfromlamancha,

in the message that I received from the Chapter President, what trigger words did you see there?
Really ?

"Helping with this outreach …"

"Give me the green light …"

"Make sure you stay in the loop …"

"When we get to some concrete actions …"

Meaningless drivel.

I would like you to help me organise …
Because …
You need to know this information …
We need to get this done by ….
Let me know if you can help …

would be easier to understand (maybe).

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's her response by e-mail. (we missed each by phone yesterday.)

"The "we" getting to concrete actions is the XXX ad hoc committee that I'm on. "jack" runs this committee." (I know the person she is referring to.)

This is a worldwide American organization that claims to be committed to diversity. I've been to a few regional meetings. There are few non white faces there.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Are you non-white?
yes. I've been living in Europe for more than 20 years. I and a couple of other black Americans feel that the times that we have felt discriminated against has been at the hands of a fellow white American including this organization as I have been a long time member in another country. Usually the sin of dismissiveness.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds to me like they are trying to exclude you from the planning and only want to make use of you when they need you (hard work implementing the plan). She let's you decide (give green light) if you want to be informed about the plans so you cannot blame her for not informing you if you do not explicitly state your interest in being informed.

When it comes to work to implement their plan they surely want to use you. Are you the only non-white person on this board? Are you basically the non-white poster child for your chapter of this "pro diversity" organisation?

Nonetheless in this email full of BS went a lot of thought (pretty much nobody writes such nonsense off the cuff) so there is something up.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The chapter President e-mailed me and said that my messages to her on this and other things sounded regularly accusatory. She said that she could go through her e-mails and show me examples when she has time. I didn't encourage her.

I was at a regional meeting a few months ago and one of the officers at the country level said briefly to me that she was happy that I was around because "these ladies don't really know what it takes to run a chapter."

I am thinking contacting her tomorrow and see if we can have a chat. I don't see where there is an ombudsman.

One thing that does mystify me is that my husband does not see how insulting her original message about the committee and my proposed relationship to it is. But then my husband has been with the same employer for 15 years. I don't think he's ever had to deal with office politics.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sounds to me like they are trying to exclude you from the planning and only want to make use of you when they need you (hard work implementing the plan). She let's you decide (give green light) if you want to be informed about the plans so you cannot blame her for not informing you if you do not explicitly state your interest in being informed.

When it comes to work to implement their plan they surely want to use you. Are you the only non-white person on this board? Are you basically the non-white poster child for your chapter of this "pro diversity" organisation?

Nonetheless in this email full of BS went a lot of thought (pretty much nobody writes such nonsense off the cuff) so there is something up.
That's the way I interpret it.

I did not ask to join the committee at all so this info came to me unsolicited. But I suspect because I have been speaking with a couple of people in a nearby town, maybe both she and "Jack" decided that needed to have a word with me.

ETA: Yes, I am the only non white on the chapter board. I have met 2 others for the rest of the country. There are about 8 chapters.

·
Premium Member
17,837 Posts
One thing that does mystify me is that my husband does not see how insulting her original message about the committee and my proposed relationship to it is. But then my husband has been with the same employer for 15 years. I don't think he's ever had to deal with office politics.
He sees it. This type of thing happens from the top to the bottom. It's just a little different language at different levels and what is at stake is less as you go down the ladder.

He is just picking his battles. He probably doesn't see a way you can win because he knows the pres has already approved this or the email wouldn't have been sent.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts