Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i made a big screwup (dont want to give specifics)....it wasnt directly related to my marriage. It was embarrasing and could have caused me a lot of problems. I just have a hard time bouncing back from mistakes i make. Just wondering how others deal with their big and medium sized screwups.

Reactions: 2ntnuf

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hard to say without too much detail but...

...if it was discovered or there's a strong likelihood it will be discovered, come clean now and apologize with a plan to avoid it from happening again.

...if it wasn't or won't be discovered, still have a plan so it never happens again.

i.e. almost forgot to pick up child from activity? Put a reminder on your phone

i.e. made big mistake on something at work? Admit it, say you caught it but would like to have someone proofread your work.

Details would be helpful...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Missed an important meeting agh! So....no secrecy involved

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But i dwell on my mistakes all the time. I get physically ill when i screw up. I start thinking that everyone else in the world is able to work and live life without screWing up. I know this isnt true....but i still think it.

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
I can be like this too. It takes time.

Have you dealt with and/fixed any/all direct ramifications? If so a bottle of wine wouldn't be wrong IMO, YMMV.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I once left the remuneration report out of the version of the annual report that is laid before parliament. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but it is

I had a total epi and 'fessed up and the boss said 'no-one died, let's go and have a fag'

so if no-one died and you still have your job you're fine ;)

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
I've missed the occasional meeting, sometimes no biggie, a couple of times it was serious. I feel bad for having wasted someone's time, but they will deal with it, and most people tend to forget stuff like that really quickly. Business still gets taken care of, and for the most part I think others are pretty understanding, because at some point or another we all have screwed up.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
When I screw up, even really bad, I just own it. I accept that it was my fault, poor choices, and appologize. Then I go about making it right again if I can.

So, I've eaten contracts with clients and assisted them with my replacement getting them up to speed as well as handing over whatever work I've done... It goes a long way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hiding your mistakes never works, get out in front of them and point them out so much that people are like

"yea, i know, geez lets move on"

Then you rub your hands together and laugh like a bond villain.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The people that I admire most in life are those who are able to admit their mistakes, own them, apologize if need be, and move on with courage and humility. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, and it is refreshing to see people who acknowledge their human fraility. It allows others to accept their own fraility and not wallow in the egotistic game of pretending to be perfect.

My favorite quotes about failure:

People think that the opposite of success is failure, but it's not. Failure is part of the process of success.

Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I owned up to it. My boss still ripped me apart. She is tough.

Reactions: Racer

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The people that I admire most in life are those who are able to admit their mistakes, own them, apologize if need be, and move on with courage and humility. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, and it is refreshing to see people who acknowledge their human fraility. It allows others to accept their own fraility and not wallow in the egotistic game of pretending to be perfect.

My favorite quotes about failure:

People think that the opposite of success is failure, but it's not. Failure is part of the process of success.

Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.
Very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But were they able to move on after? If not, that's on them

Reminds me of the below scene "C'mon lets get something to eat"

Lean on Me - Who's the real HNIC?
I dont know. Hopefully

I am just really embarrased. Im so far from perfect in other areas of my life....and now messing up at work...its just heavy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.