Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have been married for almost 5yrs to someone who is very closed off when it comes to emotional connection.
We technically never dated. We went to school together so we have known each other since we were 12. Jump forward 22 yrs and we re-connected via email. We emailed, wrote and talked on the phone for the next year while he was deployed. When he came home, he visited me once and I moved across country to live with him.
I know it sounds crazy as I'm typing this. He has 2 daughters from his previous marriage and they were around most of the time from the 1st day.
We had alot of communication problems, alot of fighting and many times I thought I had made a mistake. We ended up getting married less than a year later. I have problem with feeling like I failed if I had turned around and went back to my "old" life, so I gave it my all and have been trying to make it work ever since.
His daughters moved in FT with us the same year we were married. I love them like they were my own (I do not have any children of my own). We are very close, especially the younger one -well she's 17 now- how time does fly. Anyways, that is why I am struggling with what my heart is telling me. I do not feel that I am in love with him and feel that I should move on BUT it kills me to leave my "daughter" behind.
We have so many issues and I have tried everything. I go to therapy, I take anti-depressants, I read self-help/marriage books, I tried to encourage him to get therapy. (he was molested when he was young by a sibling and has only told 2 people and that was his best friend and myself just 3 yrs ago). He does not believe in therapy. He is completely convinced that has nothing to do with some of his issues concerning intimacy (sexual and emotional).
There is so much more to my story but I have rambled on the main issues. So I am in desperate need of advice from anyone who has dealt with similar issues
:confused:1-being a step parent who is afraid getting divorced will sever the relationship with her step child
:(2-dealing with spouse who was sexually abused and won't seek help even though it has caused him to be emotionally shut off
Thanks for your patience reading this

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.