Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may come off the wrong way and I am not intending it to. I am just really curious how often you guys speak to your wives during the day, be it via email, text, phone, web.

The reason I ask is because my wife has never been a communicator at all. She works from 7am to near 8pm during that time she never texts, calls, nothin.

I do not necessarily NEED this at all but it would be nice to hear a "hey just thinking about you" "love you"

When I have asked her about this she says that she is busy, which I understand because my job as an IT admin for a company of 3000+ can be nuts at times too but I always will find a minute or two to just say hi or reassure her that I am thinking about her.

Intimacy at home is also suffering and I think this kind of thing would help it but just curious how often you guys hear from your wife's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Typically 1-2 times a day. Usually to coordinate what we have going in the evening with the kids, as well as see how each other is doing. Nothing more than a couple of minutes, but we do try to touch base.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
I'm a homemaker married to a cop. As a general rule we don't talk during the day via technology - he's busy and so am I. He does come home for lunch so we touch base then.

I think your problem is your wife's hours. 13 hour days? Even my busy husband doesn't work that much. When on earth do you ever get to see each other? In his needs her needs he suggests couples spend a minimum of 15 hours a week together.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you ever get any random nice texts at all? Like I was thinking the other day that I have not once ever gotten a topless or nude pic from my wife! Not even just that but even a nice compliment would make my day coming from her.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a homemaker married to a cop. As a general rule we don't talk during the day via technology - he's busy and so am I. Our intimacy is fine.

I think your problem is your wife's hours. 13 hour days? Even my busy husband doesn't work that much. When on earth do you ever get to see each other? In his needs her needs he suggests couples spend a minimum of 15 hours a week together.
She works alot. Some weeks she will get home around 6-7pm but that still leaves us only 2-3 hours. Plus we live about an hour away from work so 2 hours on the road to and from work sucks too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When married my wife and I (albeit busy) would talk a lot thruoghout the day. Especially since we both had desk jobs and the ability to do so via email and/or text if we wanted to say something more sexual.

My girlfriend (who is a a teacher) will even touch base sometimes during the day to say hey and see how i'm doing and i do the same.

Not all jobs allow for that but it does sound like the balance is more towards work than anything else.

That particular reason caused my best and his wife to move from married copule to roomates and eventually divorce.

I'm not saying that will happen to you or scare you b/c you seem to be bringing this point up now before it gets too bad.

Do you initiate it at all?

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife stays at home and would never contact me at work just to say "Hi", see how I was doing, or send me a little love note. That's just not how she operates. The only time we talk during the work day is if she needs my input on something for the house or there's a problem of some sort that can't wait until I get home.

That works fine for me. Those types of gestures aren't high on my list of things that make me feel loved or connected.

If this is important to you and you've communicated that to her, I don't know why she wouldn't try to make some effort.

Sounds like you two don't necessarily share the same love language. Maybe you can both read "The 5 Love Languages" to better understand what you each need to feel loved.

·
Registered
207 Posts
as others have mentioned those are indeed long hours. I dont know how people can do 50-60 hr work weeks and still be happy with their marriage, i know my wife and i struggled when she worked long hours, even a 40 hr week can be rough if its a stressful job and a long commute.

As far as the original question goes, my wife takes it to the extreme, there are days when i receive 100+ texts and several dozen emails. Very rarely is it "hows youre day going" most of them are forwarded joke emails, random pictures of puppies she thinks are cute, coupons and tons of other stuff that could wait until after work. I used to feel special and felt that she was thinking about me atleast enough to send me texts, even if they were not personal or something like a random joke, but then i looked through her phone one day and realized she was texting her family in the same messages, really took away that special feeling. Now most days i just i turn off my phone just so i can focus, guess you have to be careful what you wish for ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
its not hard to figure out. Why she don't call just embrace yourself and be prepared. there may be someone else in the picture

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
its not hard to figure out. Why she don't call just embrace yourself and be prepared. there may be someone else in the picture
Oh stop it. 'its not hard to figure out'. Puh-leease.

I know plenty of couples that dont need a daily call full of reassurance... including us. (25 years). If you are a young couple - its nice though - sounds like you need it a little more than she does. Thats fine.

We talk maybe MAYBE twice a week for a little 'whats going on..not much..blah..blah...' which can be a nice break.

Believe me - the quality time you spend at home means far more than the little phone call in the middle of a busy day. How else do you 2 spend your time together?

I work 12 hour days including commute too. It leaves just a couple hours at night.. and weekends... which is fine, but you do need to pay attention to how you spend what little free time you have.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Do you ever get any random nice texts at all? Like I was thinking the other day that I have not once ever gotten a topless or nude pic from my wife! Not even just that but even a nice compliment would make my day coming from her.
I get random texts and phone calls from my husband when he's at work. It's not hard to send a quick text during lunch time. Don't tell me your wife doesn't eat lunch or a snack? She has time then to shoot off text to you or even call you for about 3 minutes. It sounds more like it's not that she can't do it but she doesn't want to do and doesn't think it's needed.

I have several close relatives in IT. I know how hectic it can be, but you can always find time to send a text. Heck, at most jobs I've had it wasn't hard to find a way to make a personal phone call if you wanted to. Take your cell phone to an empty conference room, your car or just go outside the building. Or do it during lunch time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm either at home or on the road generally. When out of the house, either traveling or day visits to a customer, we will txt each other updates a few times a day. I am in technology and while it is a 24x7, brutally demanding, field, you can definitely obviously always find 2 mins to send a "hello" text if that is your style. Or slip a personal email into the business stream. Wife is currently a SAHM. When she was also working it was pretty similar. Lots of it is logistics though, or some sort of "update" (gossip, news, something funny, etc)

Everyone's communication style is different. My wife's sister never txts her husband afaik and would rather die than cheat.

My wife was texting me all the time right through having a PA. You can't read a lot into ones communication style, IMO, unless it changes suddenly

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
It sounds like some one don't know women. Women love to talk and if there not talking to you. They are talking to some one
Yes usually a girlfriend. Besides you're generalizing. I'm a woman and I spend most of my days in silence. I'm a homemaker who enjoys my quiet, ALONE time before my 3 kids, their friends and later my husband come home.

Not all of us feel the need to talk 24/7.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It sounds like some one don't know women. Women love to talk and if there not talking to you. They are talking to some one
--doesn't not don't.
--someone not some one.
--they're not there.
--comma not period.
--period not (end)

Wow.. Ive never been a grammar nazi before. It feels a little wierd. Especially for someone like me that aint that good with muh letters.

(OP: careful where you take your advice from ;) )

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My wife stays at home and would never contact me at work just to say "Hi", see how I was doing, or send me a little love note. That's just not how she operates. The only time we talk during the work day is if she needs my input on something for the house or there's a problem of some sort that can't wait until I get home.

That works fine for me. Those types of gestures aren't high on my list of things that make me feel loved or connected.

If this is important to you and you've communicated that to her, I don't know why she wouldn't try to make some effort.

Sounds like you two don't necessarily share the same love language. Maybe you can both read "The 5 Love Languages" to better understand what you each need to feel loved.
When I was married, that is how we were. It's odd how things change. When I was growing up, my dad never called home just to say hi. That would have been considered silly by them. I guess I followed suit.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
This may come off the wrong way and I am not intending it to. I am just really curious how often you guys speak to your wives during the day, be it via email, text, phone, web.

The reason I ask is because my wife has never been a communicator at all. She works from 7am to near 8pm during that time she never texts, calls, nothin.

I do not necessarily NEED this at all but it would be nice to hear a "hey just thinking about you" "love you"

When I have asked her about this she says that she is busy, which I understand because my job as an IT admin for a company of 3000+ can be nuts at times too but I always will find a minute or two to just say hi or reassure her that I am thinking about her.

Intimacy at home is also suffering and I think this kind of thing would help it but just curious how often you guys hear from your wife's.

Thanks!
My husband and I used to send each other texts throughout the day while at work when we were dating, but we don't really do so anymore. We didn't live together before getting married, so we needed that extra effort to stay close. Now that we're married, our time together at home is a lot more important than sending a text or calling during our work days. We still do occasionally, but it's not very often(maybe a couple times a week).

Believe me - the quality time you spend at home means far more than the little phone call in the middle of a busy day.
:iagree:

·
Registered
67 Posts
My wife was almost always to busy to remember she had a spouse. I only heard from her when she was coming home...and toward the end that was erratic. She did have plenty of time though to talk to the guy she had an affair with. After being caught, she even had time for me for about six months....then back to the old habits and I (in hindsight) can only assume a new affair.

She will be the person on her deathbed saying I wish I could have worked more and had sex with a few more guys other than my husband.

c2500

·
Premium Member
15,063 Posts
It depends, when it's really busy I can only text/reply maybe once or 2x. Any less and my wife chucks a fit when I get home. Normally it's only 1x or 2x a day unless either me or her hav something to share which we found funny or just randomly want to flirt. Sometimes she sends me like 8 messages but I don't end up reading them until later but she doesn't mind - she knows I read them. She always replies quickly to mine however, but she doesnt work so :p

·
Registered
723 Posts
H works at home, one of my jobs is working in the office with him, so we talk often, maybe too much at times because then the work will not get done.

If I am out cleaning, I rarely stop to text or call unless I need information, it is not fair for me to stop what I am doing & expect the rest of my team to continue.

When we both worked in offices, we would occasionally text through the day or email. Probably H texting more than I and I emailing more than him. Rarely calls unless we had something specific that had to be handled there and then.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.