Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I'm 5'6" and I just learned that according to the US census, I'm taller than 70% of women within 20 years of my age. I'm also shorter than 80% of men within 20 years of my age. Deejo's remark about dating profiles is the breaking point for me. Even though I am taller than a 2/3 majority of women I am much to short to date. Now that is understandable as there are plenty of men taller than me. When you get into those women who demand 6' or better you are getting into thin air. Only about 20% of men qualify. Obviously most of these women end up "Settling" for shorter.

In the end either we settle, or we learn what is really important to us. My experience with "hot" women has led me to devalue them. But saying that, I still feel I married up.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
There's actually a lot of data on this stuff. Birds of a feather is way more likely than opposites attract. Not to broad brush, but men typically do not do well with women who are smarter than them. Also, women don't do well with men who are dumber than them. So incredibly intelligent women have a much smaller pool to choose from. If you are an incredibly intelligent woman and you're 6'2" good luck! Women also typically have a hard time with men who are shorter. So now that woman has to find a 6'5" genius. Talk about a small pool to choose from.

In terms of college years, you were quite frankly out of too many men's leagues. The ones who were perhaps good matches most likely weren't the type to be out there hitting on hot women looking to date around. A lot of them probably had a gf already too. The really hot, incredibly smart men have extremely high market value.
I think it's very important to emphasize that, while men are generally not attracted to women smarter than them, women are generally not attracted to men who are dumber than them. If I had to bet, I'd say that the second is a bigger factor than the first.

Same with height. Women not being attracted to men shorter than them is probably a bigger factor than men not being attracted to women taller than them.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
So if men really do want hot, then all of the average women in the world are just something men settle for?
If women really do want tall, then all of the men under 6 feet are just something women settle for?

Yes, to some degree.

But, there isn't enough "hot" and "tall" to go around. So, most people are realistic.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
The interesting thing about Sex Rank is how we apply it to ourselves as well as how we apply it to others.

If we assume the law of averages applies to SR then most human beings are average shmoes (4, 5, 6), less than half of those are slightly above (7,8) or below that (2,3), and a minimal few are uniquely unattractive (0,1) or smokin hot (9,10).

So why is it that when asked to self rank, most average Joe's/Jane's rank themselves at least a 6 or 7? (See @Deejo reference to Arthur for example)

And when asked to rank others, it's typically on a hot (9,10) or not (0,1) scale? There's rarely a 5 in the bunch.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Part of my men's rights march is to tell women its time for them to leave the toilet seat up for us! We've been used and abused by this restroom matriarchy for far too long. I'm still trying to find a name for it that is catchy. So if your wife or gf complains about leaving the seat up we can snap back with "stop woman-throning me!"
If I use the toilet with the seat down, I put it back up when I'm done.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
If women really do want tall, then all of the men under 6 feet are just something women settle for?

Yes, to some degree.

But, there isn't enough "hot" and "tall" to go around. So, most people are realistic.
You can overcome that if you're Tom Cruise (5'7" tall... by contrast, ex-wife Nicole Kidman is 5'11") or Mickey Rooney (a whopping 5'2" tall, but bedded Ava Gardner and it didn't get any hotter than that back in the day).

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
So if men really do want hot, then all of the average women in the world are just something men settle for?

Yes, to some degree.

I help the numbers! I'm 5'2" and not into tall. I'd rather a 5'6" guy any day!

·
Registered
577 Posts
The question should apply to both genders. There are some unfit men out there. For me personally looks are as important as other factors. A man who is not disciplined in how he looks after himself is likely to be undisciplined in other aspects of his life. A man needs to be below 90 kg and able to dig the garden. Also I should not here him breathing from across the room.

Looks are very important in men as in women. BMI must be below 25 in both.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts

Yes, to some degree.

I think that 6' + thing is not a universal thing for women. Ideal height for me (I'm 5'4 but wear heels all of the time) is 5'9 or 5'10. I'll date shorter up to 5'6-5'7 and taller up to 6'2 but the Goldilocks height is 5'9 ish.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well, my sister had a resting face that would scare a statue. Her temper could go from zero to ninety in a nano second. And, we won't talk about her sense of entitlement.

I attribute her foul humor to the fact that she was born with a stick up her butt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The interesting thing about Sex Rank is how we apply it to ourselves as well as how we apply it to others.

If we assume the law of averages applies to SR then most human beings are average shmoes (4, 5, 6), less than half of those are slightly above (7,8) or below that (2,3), and a minimal few are uniquely unattractive (0,1) or smokin hot (9,10).

So why is it that when asked to self rank, most average Joe's/Jane's rank themselves at least a 6 or 7? (See @Deejo reference to Arthur for example)

And when asked to rank others, it's typically on a hot (9,10) or not (0,1) scale? There's rarely a 5 in the bunch.

While some people have self esteem problems, most people don’t and then there are some people that think way to much of themselves. Which is probably why they rank themselves so highly, when others wouldn’t. On the other side of that they probably rank people high they’re attracted too and low if they’re not. I rank people all up and down the scale, some women are cute in then face but don’t have a body I like, Solid 5. But I’ve never seen a 10 anywhere.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
It is one thing to desire a hotish woman.
It is a similar thing to appreciate beauty when you see it.
Dating someone is a much bigger commitment. I'd be excused for looking for something deeper.

I once read a beauty advice column that recommended a shower be limited to 2 minutes of tepid water. Suddenly the attitudes of the Hot women that I knew made sense to me. Now when some PYT smirks at my bald short self, I think of her saying to herself, "I stood in tepid water for 2 minutes this morning so 'that' could appreciate me". And that's OK, I'd have the same attitude if I had the same shower. (or whatever beauty routine)

·
Premium Member
5,533 Posts
I agree it is subjective.

Dudley Moore was a hobbit. He was sweet and cute and probably comfortable and safe. He'd be a good friend. :D

Well, it is definitely subjective vs. objective.

You touched upon that very word, regarding how you felt about height. I've heard women often refer to their aversion to short, or shorter men, as not feeling 'comfortable' or 'safe'.

101 - 120 of 303 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.