Talk About Marriage banner

781 - 800 of 1134 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
One of my serious boyfriends used to say I was smarter than him. And yet he's the one that made the big bucks. Same career path but he always made more money. Where he wasn't smart was having insight about people. He was plenty smart enough to do the work.

I thought his main intelligence deficit was that he apparently never voluntarily read a book in his life.
So he didn't have any literary references or anything. And every one of his women were big readers.
There is none so blind as he who will not see. There is none so dumb as he who will not think.

One of those is mine.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I wonder why, in all of your possibilities, in none of them was the wife cheating. Or the wife was bored. Or she just decided she could take money from him via the courts. I have a friend that was cheating on her husband and she's still the one filing for divorce, plus she wants part of the value of the home that he paid for while he was supporting her. An old friend of the family, his wife was cheating on him with their UPS driver. Dude was delivering package to her house every other day while the husband was at work. She even hit on me at one point. She filed for divorce when she eventually got caught.

Yeah, plenty of guys are screwing up marriages, I get that. But 80% of the time? Or even 70% of the time? That's a little bit harder to believe. It is noted though that no one here is even considering the possibility that the wife can be the one at fault. In two posts you gave several examples of what could be going on, and in all of them, it's bad men.
Well, we might be getting a little defensive, considering the title and tone of this thread. I will say in many of the posts I've read from us women, the added line has been "women do this too", or similar.
At least, I've tried to add that to any of my posts placing blame on men.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I can honesty tell you that I have never felt I was smarter than someone else due to my education. My dad was an incredibly successful business man on an 8th grade education. He's waaaaay smarter than me in everything.
Its interesting that many of the world's most successful men had a limited education. There are also so many who did a degree or whatever and never used it and went into a field that was totally unconnected to what they had studied.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
To be honest I have met some well above 2 standard deviations from the mean probably more like 3 standard deviations women when I was in graduate school. They were much smarter than I am and I had no problems talking with them (after downing enough Bacardi). I would not have hesitated at all based on their intelligence as I’m smart enough to see when someone is talented and appreciate it.
WHY do I feel like I need a math degree to understand so many of your posts...?? ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
I just dont get that because so many women these days have degrees/masters and Phd's. I suppose that some very insecure men may not like that but surely most wouldnt let it bother them?
I thought so too until it started happening to me. I tested my theory. I am curious as the day is long. I would talk about my thoughts/interests and as long as they didn't know my history, all was good in the world. If they knew my history, it was a toss up.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
I have found in life that what qualifications someone has doesn't mean that much when you are face to face. Many people who have qualifications are clever in that field but often dont have a clue about other areas of life. Many very highly intelligent people are completely useless when it comes to relationships and dealing with people.
My husband has a science Phd but in many areas (apart from science, which I hated at school) we are similar, and I can hold my own with him in most subjects. So I never took much notice of qualifications when I dated. Its yet another area that never bothered me, along with if they were rich or not.
I dated one guy who was in school at the time studying to be a marine biologist I think. He was very boring to talk to. I don't know if it was because he was real academic or just lacking some personality.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I dated one guy who was in school at the time studying to be a marine biologist I think. He was very boring to talk to. I don't know if it was because he was real academic or just lacking some personality.
Oh, now that is NEAT!!!! I'd have a bunch of questions for him! Lol!!

·
Super Moderator
8,705 Posts
So your assumption is that if a person has money that they will never be sure that the person who is with them is with them for the right reason? And by extension, that only if your are poor will you know true love.
Should I teach my daughters that they should never believe the man who says they love them? Should I tell my son the women only want money?
I was destroyed by my ex-wife and even I am not that cynical.
I have no idea how you got that out of what I wrote.

You commented that more money increases one's odds of finding a partner. My response was that it increases the odds you'll find someone willing to put up with you for your money. Money doesn't necessarily increase your odds that someone actually loves you, though I suppose it could increase your pool of possibilities, but with that comes an increase in people who want your money.

Yoi can't buy companionship or love.

It is quite possible to find love if you have money, you just need to be aware that the money is a draw for people and watch their actions closely. Pay close attention to character.

FYI, my cousin married into an extremely wealthy family. They met at Georgetown medical school and he was broke. She tried to buy him a car...offered him all kinds of stuff....and he said no. He didn't want to feel indebted to her if they split and he wasn't interested in her money.

They're now married with 2 kids and very wealthy. He also adores her, so clearly it happens. Her family waa over the moon that she married another doctor that turned away her money when dating.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
To be honest I have met some well above 2 standard deviations from the mean probably more like 3 standard deviations women when I was in graduate school. They were much smarter than I am and I had no problems talking with them (after downing enough Bacardi). I would not have hesitated at all based on their intelligence as I’m smart enough to see when someone is talented and appreciate it.

WHY do I feel like I need a math degree to understand so many of your posts...?? ;)
Let me help out w/ the math.

Most commercial liquor tops out at 100 proof, or 50%, while Bacardi markets a 151 proof rum, or 75.5%.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I thought so too until it started happening to me. I tested my theory. I am curious as the day is long. I would talk about my thoughts/interests and as long as they didn't know my history, all was good in the world. If they knew my history, it was a toss up.
I mean this in the best way.....I bet dinner with you would be interesting

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Don't want to look for my stats book, but IIRC 2 std dev is the top 33% and 3 std dev is the top 5% or close to it.

781 - 800 of 1134 Posts