Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 1298 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypergamy (colloquially referred to as "marrying up", occasionally referred to as "higher-gamy") is a term used in social science for the act or practice of a person marrying a spouse of higher caste or social status than themselves.

A woman will almost always "go up" when looking for a mate. She may be a "5" but she will ignore the "5" males and seek the highest level male she can find. This makes it hard for the average male (a "5") to find a woman who won't dump him when a "6" or higher comes along. There is a Youtube videos called "Better Bachelor" that discusses the whole thing and basically suggests men are better off just staying single and staying away from females altogether.

Has anyone had any experience with this. I have...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
This has to be a joke. I always see “higher value” women with lower value men.

Speaking for myself, I just want someone who makes me happy. I’d rather be with a “lower value” guy that treats me well and makes me happy then a “higher value” man that doesn’t.

Who cares if your with a smoking hot rich girl/guy if he has a terrible personality and doesn’t make you happy.
When people are unhappy, they look for something different. Man and women.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I really hate this labelling of people that puts them into boxes of being 'higher' or 'lower'. I mean who decides who is what anyway? What is it based on? Looks? Money? Education? Personality? Character? As for the youtube video, if you want to remain a bachelor go ahead you are free to do so, it was probably made by yet another woman hating man.Most men have no interest in being a bachelor.
I suspect that most women just want a decent guy who loves them and respects them and treats them well and who will be faithful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were the one that divorced your wife and mother of your children in hopes to trade up because she was too fat.

Of all people you could understand why people trade up.
Actually I did not trade up...I actually traded down. My second wife is blind and average looking, but at least she is thin.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really hate this labeling of people that puts them into boxes of being 'higher' or 'lower'. I mean who decides who is what anyway? What is it based on? Looks? Money? Education? Personality? Character? As for the youtube video, if you want to remain a bachelor go ahead you are free to do so, it was probably made by yet another woman hating man.Most men have no interest in being a bachelor.
I suspect that most women just want a decent guy who loves them and respects them and treats them well and who will be faithful.
You are probably right but the odds are against it. I seem to read a lot of posts here where guys wives left them for the boss or a co-worker who has more to offer or is better looking. I learned to beat the system, I quit chasing the good looking females and have found that women who are average are better choices.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea because men never dump their girlfriends/wives for a younger hotter model. That never happens...
Usually it happens after the couple have been married and now the man is successful, and has better prospects and is ready to trade in the old worn out model for a new one.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hypergamy (colloquially referred to as "marrying up", occasionally referred to as "higher-gamy") is a term used in social science for the act or practice of a person marrying a spouse of higher caste or social status than themselves.

A woman will almost always "go up" when looking for a mate. She may be a "5" but she will ignore the "5" males and seek the highest level male she can find. This makes it hard for the average male (a "5") to find a woman who won't dump him when a "6" or higher comes along. There is a Youtube videos called "Better Bachelor" that discusses the whole thing and basically suggests men are better off just staying single and staying away from females altogether.

Has anyone had any experience with this. I have...
The scale is different for women and men. There are far more female 10s than males there are more men who are 1s than women. Maybe the better way to put it is for women the scale goes from 2-11 while guys are 1-10. So basically you have to look at it as a man who is a 5 is equal to a woman who is a 3. The other tricky thing is a woman I think is a 8 you might think is a 6 or a 10. I might see a couple and think they're well matched but my wife might think the woman is much more attractive than the guy. People act like there is some standard we all use when in reality we are all attracted to something different. But also having a great personality is probably as important to a degree and personality can easily raise or lower your value a few spots.

I'm not sure anything I just wrote makes any sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The scale is different for women and men. There are far more female 10s than males there are more men who are 1s than women. Maybe the better way to put it is for women the scale goes from 2-11 while guys are 1-10. So basically you have to look at it as a man who is a 5 is equal to a woman who is a 3. The other tricky thing is a woman I think is a 8 you might think is a 6 or a 10. I might see a couple and think they're well matched but my wife might think the woman is much more attractive than the guy. People act like there is some standard we all use when in reality we are all attracted to something different. But also having a great personality is probably as important to a degree and personality can easily raise or lower your value a few spots.

I'm not sure anything I just wrote makes any sense.
No it makes sense...

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
1 - 20 of 1298 Posts