Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GMO = Genetically modified Organisms.

I'm very worried about this, especially considering

#1 - Out of the hundreds of Countries in the world, the USA ranks top 10 for cancer.

#2 - The French did a study on GMOs and decided to ban it because their results showed them to be highly cancerous and cause kidney / liver damage.

#3 - Monsato is threatening to SUE vermont because it wants to label foods with GMOs as having GMOs in them..

#4 - McDonalds in California now has CANCER WARNING LABELS on its happy meals!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will admit I fell for the "Hope and Change" thing and even had my parents vote for me because I no longer live in the Country. I am deeply ashamed for having been so naive about this man. Actions speak louder than words, and I'm not overly glad about Obamacare.

#1 - It creates death panels for the elderly.
#2 - It doesnt apply to Presidents / Senators families. If its so good, how come he doesn't have to have it?
#3 - It was previously unconstitutional, but they REWROTE the constitution for Obamacare!

HOWEVER, I think it will also decrease the infant mortality rate. I just wish you could pay the extra $ to get the treatments you need when Obamacare doesn't cover them.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
We have to do SOMETHING!
Well, if the alternative is potentially worse (in that Romney will have less regulation and give businesses like Monsanto more room to act), then doing something is counter-productive.

I am finding it humerous that suddenly France is the bell-weather to how we in America should act. I thought France (heck, most all of Europe) were a bunch of failed communists who got it all wrong.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I am finding it humerous that suddenly France is the bell-weather to how we in America should act. I thought France (heck, most all of Europe) were a bunch of failed communists who got it all wrong.

They are embarking on their second (in 2 years) attempt to create a soak the rich tax. Last year the wonks promised a 50 billion Euro surplus. But the wealthy took their money out of the country and tax revenues showed a 9 billion Euro drop. They are literally trying to do the same thing again.

BTW food is a quirky subject in French politics. It has not so much to do with any particular regard for GMO instead farmers are sacrosanct. They are one of the most powerful lobbying and protest groups in the nation. In fact if your home is ever damaged in a storm like my sister's was, all you need to do is call the power company or the water company or whatever you need tell them you're a farm and they send as much help and as many trucks as you need to get it fixed right then and there.

Whereas countries like the US create farm subsidies, in France the tariff barriers are enormous. Importing food into France is bizarrely complex and expensive. Similarly the government has absurdly restrictive covenants on the definition of food itself. In order to be cheese you have to meet a phonebook of regulations which include paying royalties to whomever owns a particular license on a particular name or type of cheese. For example Neufchatel must come from Neufchatel and it must be approved by the local cheesemakers and the town. If you for example want to export certain kinds of Brie you need permission from the French government and, as if that weren't odd enough, the laws of the country into which you bring the cheese aren't allowed to apply. So if the USFDA requires that cheese contain preservatives or be pasteurized, the French government may either refuse or apply for a waiver because their official regulations on cheese specifically don't allow preservatives or pasteurization for many kinds of cheese.

And that's just cheese. The Appelation d’Origine Contrôlée which regulates food standards, stipulates very narrowly what the composition of soil must be for crops. Usually this translates into soil from a specific geographic region. Therefore champagne MUST be grown in Champagne. no exceptions.

So for GMO there's this gigantic cloud over the whole issue about the French cultural politics of food production that have little to do with health and a great deal to do with 'terroir' or cultural connections to regional food.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
And that's just cheese. The Appelation d’Origine Contrôlée which regulates food standards, stipulates very narrowly what the composition of soil must be for crops. Usually this translates into soil from a specific geographic region. Therefore champagne MUST be grown in Champagne. no exceptions.
I agree. The Appelation of Origin concept is protectionism at its finest. The old world countries (with France in the lead) love to enforce it, until a third world country, like Kenya, wants to enforce it for their coffee. The old world countries suddenly argue that Kenya does not have the history of coffee production, so it should not apply to them. What a surprise that only European countries seem to qualify.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well, if the alternative is potentially worse (in that Romney will have less regulation and give businesses like Monsanto more room to act), then doing something is counter-productive.

No way could I ever vote for a democrat!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
No one will fix it. But, big government and hand outs are not the answer.
And what does this have to do with this issue?

See, this is easily the biggest issue I have with current politics. Obama* takes a position, so you slam him for it. Turns out, you actually don't have an issue with his position, you just want every opportunity to slam him. So you have lost your credibility, because I now have no idea if you believe your statement above, or if it is just because it is another opportunity to go after Obama.

* I am using Obama in this example because it pertains to you. The other side is no better.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I agree. The Appelation of Origin concept is protectionism at its finest. The old world countries (with France in the lead) love to enforce it, until a third world country, like Kenya, wants to enforce it for their coffee. The old world countries suddenly argue that Kenya does not have the history of coffee production, so it should not apply to them. What a surprise that only European countries seem to qualify.
There is a huge stink between Scotland and India over what is whisky. The largest producers of whisky are Indian and Scotland won't let them call it that.

Indian whisky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
66 Posts
How does it make me feel.... Not surprised one bit.

Special interest groups fund these clowns, do you think they do it out of the goodness of their heart? :rofl:

Like borrowing money from the devil.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Actually Tall, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the USA on the 37th line for healthcare while france is #1? If I'm going to vote based on health, you can bet your ass I'd prefer to follow the healthiest Country in the WORLD. Obama is a terrible president. Absolutely terrible.

Terrible spender "WAHH IM GOiNG TO HAVE COMPLETE TRANSPARENCY" than passing the biggest bill of our lives and he wouldn't even let a -single- cameraman in there - because it was a huge tax increase. This entitlement culture has got to stop. The drone strikes have got to stop. The lying and the underplaying has got to stop. We should be aware. Reporting is no longer reporting. Lieberals flat out lie like fox news and then have the GALL to attack fox news for what they themselves are 100 times more guilty for. What gets me is how people -still- fall for it. Not the youth though anymore. Apparently now 57% of Caucasian youth feels discriminated against. With good reason, especially with Obama signing a bill called the African American Education Initiative which once again is an example of his race separating. Example - a white, asian and black kid all do the same thing that would normally get somebody suspended. White and asian get suspended. Black kid gets free pass. Tell me liberals, is it racist if you discriminate on a race based on their skin color? "Not unless they're black" right?

I just figure modern liberals are just young people with barely a thought in their heads. Not all of them mind you - but the vast majority easily on a higher level of corruption than their counterparts. I would never dare label myself as a democrat or a republican and I would never dare to vote somebody because they checked "Democrat" or "Republican" on the list.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Actually Tall, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the USA on the 37th line for healthcare while france is #1? If I'm going to vote based on health, you can bet your ass I'd prefer to follow the healthiest Country in the WORLD. Obama is a terrible president. Absolutely terrible.
Sp you are okay with socialized medicine? You agree that Obama care did not go far enough?

Terrible spender "WAHH IM GOiNG TO HAVE COMPLETE TRANSPARENCY" than passing the biggest bill of our lives and he wouldn't even let a -single- cameraman in there - because it was a huge tax increase. This entitlement culture has got to stop.
Again, France, who you look to for guidance, is much bigger in entitlements.

The drone strikes have got to stop.
Why do you think this will stop under Romney?

The lying and the underplaying has got to stop. We should be aware. Reporting is no longer reporting. Lieberals flat out lie like fox news and then have the GALL to attack fox news for what they themselves are 100 times more guilty for.
Disagree on liberals being more guilty of lying. Neither side has a monopoly on truth or honesty. Some liberals do lie, just like some conservatives do lie.

What gets me is how people -still- fall for it. Not the youth though anymore. Apparently now 57% of Caucasian youth feels discriminated against. With good reason, especially with Obama signing a bill called the African American Education Initiative which once again is an example of his race separating.
Cite to that 57% number?

Example - a white, asian and black kid all do the same thing that would normally get somebody suspended. White and asian get suspended. Black kid gets free pass. Tell me liberals, is it racist if you discriminate on a race based on their skin color? "Not unless they're black" right?
Actually, the evidence I have seen is that the black student is more likely to receive a harsher punishments. Report: Minority Students Receive Harsher Punishments : The Two-Way : NPR Do you have a cite for your example?

I just figure modern liberals are just young people with barely a thought in their heads. Not all of them mind you - but the vast majority easily on a higher level of corruption than their counterparts. I would never dare label myself as a democrat or a republican and I would never dare to vote somebody because they checked "Democrat" or "Republican" on the list.
I agree. The party affiliation is a factor to me, but not a big one.

·
Banned
1,999 Posts
As a black woman, I can attest to black students receiving harsher punishments. I experienced that and saw it with my own eyes when I was in high school.

Most liberals are youngsters with no brains? Wow, who is being divisive now? :rolleyes:

Politricks are all lies and spin. Politicians are like horny men in a bar trying to get a woman into bed; they will say whatever they need to in order to get what they want. Once politicians are in power, promises are often discarded because they acheived their goals so who cares about the voters?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Actually Tall, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the USA on the 37th line for healthcare while france is #1?

I'm not sure it's that high but it's up there. France also pays a stipend to mothers who have children, pays for an at-home nanny, lavish maternity and paternity leave. They also smoke like chimneys and eat tons of fat and seem to be thinner have less heart disease than Americans.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.