Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
My stomach tells me what it wants for dinner. I go to the store and buy it, bring it home and cook it.

The world is eat up with electronics and the internet. I don't need a Google search to tell me what to eat. JMO! :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha its not a google search. It's a random dinner generator and it does it in a funny way. If they added pictures I think it'd be useful because I eat with my eyes too. I want meatballs :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Love that site, very fun. They do need to add photos as I eat with my eyes also.
When there are groceries in the house we usually try to decide what to have the next night while we're cleaning up dinner so that we can get something out to thaw. When we don't have groceries in the house because we've been too busy at work to go shopping, deciding about dinner is positively painful. Neither of us want to pick what restaurant we go to, we spend 45 minutes talking about it, and once we finally pick our son doesn't like the idea at all.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I plan the week's dinners on Sunday and shop for all needed ingredients. Then I can make them on whichever day I feel like, and not have to go to the store midweek. Less stress about what to make each day. It works well for me, but then again, I'm a project manager and always plan ahead for everything!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I choose from whatever we have in the house.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Love that site, very fun. They do need to add photos as I eat with my eyes also.
When there are groceries in the house we usually try to decide what to have the next night while we're cleaning up dinner so that we can get something out to thaw. When we don't have groceries in the house because we've been too busy at work to go shopping, deciding about dinner is positively painful. Neither of us want to pick what restaurant we go to, we spend 45 minutes talking about it, and once we finally pick our son doesn't like the idea at all.
Your son has a say in what the menu is? With three kids, two of whom are moderately picky, we would have the same five meals over and over again. I run a dictatorship in that area. My approach is: you have to have some of what I make and then you can keep eating it or you can make yourself a PB&J. On the whole that approach has worked quite well. I make what I like (and I like a lot) and the kids Usually prefer It to PB&J. Let's face it, kids will say they hate something before they even try it.

I usually decide what to make a day or two in advance. Depends on what I feel like and how long it has been since we've had something similar.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I have a dry-erase board on my fridge. On the right is a list of meals and on the left is a shopping list. If I make chili and cornbread, I erase it from the right and on the left I write "ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes". If I get down to one cup of rice/sugar/flour etc. or use the last of the sour cream, I add it to the list. If I see recipe I want to try, I add dish and ingredients to the dry erase board.

When I go to the store I copy it down and double check the pantry, add lunch items or whatever... and I erase list, put the new assortment of meals to the right and start over!

I have my kid AND my boyfriend trained! One time he wrote "Gin" as a joke (kind of) and next time he was over, a new bottle of Hendricks was in the pantry. :) He knows it works if he wants something. Kid will usually add ice cream. :)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Your son has a say in what the menu is? With three kids, two of whom are moderately picky, we would have the same five meals over and over again. I run a dictatorship in that area. My approach is: you have to have some of what I make and then you can keep eating it or you can make yourself a PB&J. On the whole that approach has worked quite well. I make what I like (and I like a lot) and the kids Usually prefer It to PB&J. Let's face it, kids will say they hate something before they even try it.

I usually decide what to make a day or two in advance. Depends on what I feel like and how long it has been since we've had something similar.
I got tired of the same meals so I try to have at least one or two things in each meal my daughter likes and otherwise make what I want. I'd never have a full meal of stuff she hates but she finally started branching out. She is allowed to get an unsweetened applesauce if she doesn't like one of the dishes. I like your approach!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
when i'm behaving myself,I make a list every saturday morning compiled from various cravings i have that day and quick/easy dinner ideas from online.I have my weekly rituals of eating various kinds of salads then i'll throw in at least one new dish,and a classic dish for comfort.

·
Banned
7,548 Posts
I like to plan it the day before, I usually go through a cookery book and choose something that looks good. Any recipes we like get copied and put in a folder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.