Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want my wife to look more attractive for me. Yes, this seems like a very shallow post, I get that. The thing is, I make an effort for her (and I'm in good shape), and I would really appreciate her doing the same. I get that I'm not the hottest guy on the planet, nor do I expect a supermodel.

We don't have a lot of money, so we can't go out more than once or twice a month, and that's not to fancy places though I cook for her all the time, and I can't buy her lots of new clothes (though I have offered to do so, and she has some nicer clothes). She works with animals and doesn't care about her appearance at work and when she gets home after (this doesn't really bother me, I get it she's tired after work). She watches a TV literally all day, lying down on the couch under a blanket. Not that I should complain as she has done this for most of our relationship.

She does put on her nice shirt, jewelry, makeup when we go to a wedding (and she's beautiful, and yes, I definitely tell her!), or maybe when I do take her out for our anniversary to a nice steakhouse. But on a day-to-day, she never wears makeup, wears sweats and (old ratty) t-shirts, her hair is messy, etc.

I've always been someone who didn't care for tons of makeup/dolled up barbies, this is not what I mean.

From what I've read on other peoples responses to men in similar situations, suggestions often include making her feel beautiful. But it seems counter-productive to tell her she looks beautiful when she looks like a slob (obviously I do not tell her she looks like a slob). Don't get me wrong we make each other feel loved, and are both very thoughtful. I get the feeling women want to be lied to about how they are the most beautiful women in the world, but I have never been a subscriber to that policy, maybe that is a flaw of mine. I understand that it will not help to tell her that I am having trouble finding her attractive, and I will not do this, which is frustrating because we tell each other everything. I hate being even the slightest bit dishonest with her.

I'm not overly concerned about her somewhat overweightness. It would be a huge bonus if she made more of an effort to lose a few pounds (we bought an elliptical that she uses sometimes as she is completely uninterested in going to the gym), but my focus is on her wanting to look pretty. Yup, still sounds pretty superficial. But is it too much to ask? And I'm absolutely can not ask it without making her feel ugly. So I'm kinda stuck there, looking for suggestions.

Other info: We met in high-school, relationship is 12+ years, we are in our late 20s, have a pretty good sex-life despite her waning sex drive due to some medication, we have good communication.

Please be kind but honest.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
In one sentence you say, you like her in make-up and nice clothes and in the next you say you're not into make-up.

Is it the clothes, or is it the lack of make-up? Day to day if she's not going anywhere I could see why she'd think this was a waste (to get all dolled up).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My point is that I do not expect her to dress like she is going to the club, or put on tons of makeup, but I want her to make a minimal effort, and I want her to WANT to. I want to look good for her....

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
You keep saying what YOU want for her but she probably doesn't care what you look like. That's your thing.

My husband and I have a relationship in which we just come right out and tell each other what we think. I would say to him, 'honey is everything ok?' And then elaborate... 'it looks like you've just given up on me. I love it when you... ' Then that would start a conversation.

He would do the same for me. Why not just talk to her about what you want?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You keep saying what YOU want for her but she probably doesn't care what you look like. That's your thing.

My husband and I have a relationship in which we just come right out and tell each other what we think. I would say to him, 'honey is everything ok?' And then elaborate... 'it looks like you've just given up on me. I love it when you... ' Then that would start a conversation.

He would do the same for me. Why not just talk to her about what you want?
I admire how close you two are. I often feel that we are too, and I have been trying to be subtle in hinting how I'd love it if she made some more effort. She seems receptive but I haven't seen much from her. Also I do not want to hurt her feelings, I mentioned once that sometimes it was hard for me to find her attractive, that was years ago but I think that really hurt her. I don't want to hurt her feelings so I'm looking for other avenues.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I mentioned once that sometimes it was hard for me to find her attractive, that was years ago but I think that really hurt her
Put that way, I'd find it hurtful too. I always say it's not WHAT you say but the WAY you say it that makes all the difference.

Maybe if you posed a question to her in the way I phrased it, she would give you some insight. Maybe if you came right out and made it a request she would be receptive. "Honey, I would really love it if some nights I came in and you were all cutiefied for me. I love to see you in all your hotness!!"

I wouldn't have a problem responding positively to that. But I'm not the usual woman either. Some women will get offended and hurt no matter HOW you phrase it.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Does she like manicures and/or pedicures? If so, buy her some gift cards. Hey that's a start. I know if my hands look nice and my feet feel good, I want the rest of me to look and feel that way, too. :) Just a thought...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Jacksons to be fair, if she wears makeup every day it'll make her pores huge and it'll make her ugly in the long run. Tell her you think she's sexy naturally but that when she wears makeup, she looks like a supermodel. She's in that comfort mode where she thinks you don't care what she looks like, and your lack of communication isn't helping.

My boyfriend lets hints off to me like "I hate when you wear sweats, go put on some jeans it shows your butt off" "Can you wear a more form fitting shirt, it shows your curves."

buy her some lingerie, go on the mac makeup website and let her catch you browsing. Mac makeup makes a great xmas gift.

Makeup is pretty expensive lol..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a bit much, your phrasing might really help.

Southern wife, yeah I keep encouraging her to do those things (and offering to pay). I once bought her a $150 gift cert to a spa that she waited 2 years to use. Your signature says it all: "don't save it for a special occasion, today is special." I need to find a way to convince her of that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jacksons to be fair, if she wears makeup every day it'll make her pores huge and it'll make her ugly in the long run.
Ironic, don't ya think? Yeah, it sucks because if we had more money, I feel like this would be easier, but wouldn't everything? I'm hesitant to just buy her a bunch of expensive makeup especially when I know next-to-nothing about it, she does have a Mary Kay kit.

Thanks for the other tips, that helps a lot!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Jacksons for the record nothing is wrong with wanting to see your wife look hot more often than she attempts. You're a man. You like to look at pretty things. I wish more women would understand that just because you got that ring on your finger, it doesn't mean you NEVER have to try looking hot for your husband ever again. He may be there with you, but have the sense enough to know you have to keep up certain things to KEEP HIM.

This also goes for men that let it all go. Don't think just because you got married you got to stop looking fine. OH NO. I let my husband know when he's being lazy about his appearance with me and that I would appreciate a little effort. If he can pull it together for his COWORKERS he better damn sure pull it together for ME more often than not. I'm special dammit. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jacksons for the record nothing is wrong with wanting to see your wife look hot more often than she attempts. You're a man. You like to look at pretty things. I wish more women would understand that just because you got that ring on your finger, it doesn't mean you NEVER have to try looking hot for your husband ever again. He may be there with you, but have the sense enough to know you have to keep up certain things to KEEP HIM.

This also goes for men that let it all go. Don't think just because you got married you got to stop looking fine. OH NO. I let my husband know when he's being lazy about his appearance with me and that I would appreciate a little effort. If he can pull it together for his COWORKERS he better damn sure pull it together for ME more often than not. I'm special dammit. ;)
Well that makes me feel much better, I just wish she had a close friend like you telling her that!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have spent most of my life trying to get my wife to take her clothes off, not put something fancier on, so I admit I have limited experience in this area. I don't know the normal chatter between you and your wife, but I think I would try humor. If she can take a little ribbing and so that she knows that it is intended that way. At the same time she will know that you are noticing her appearance. So for example if she has unkept hair and sweat pants, you might kiddingly say: Oh I like this Appalachian Mountain look you got going here, that's hot. This will only work if she has a good sense of humor and you regularly kid with her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can relate to this, a little bit. I feel like I have let myself go since we have gotten married because I 1) am comfortable and 2) and VERY tired compared to what I was when we first began dating. 3 kids later. But one thing is my husband has never once ever told me that I have let myself go. I know I have. Have you ever asked her why she likes her ratty old pants you speak of? I have a sweater that I love and wear all winter long and it is my favorite. When my husband finally said "you know, you wear that too much, I love when you wear this pink blouse." I was more than happy to wear the blouse. I admired that he was courageous enough to tell me that he liked the way the blouse looked on me. Maybe you could try that type of aaproach?

·
Registered
92 Posts
My boyfriend lets hints off to me like "I hate when you wear sweats, go put on some jeans it shows your butt off" "Can you wear a more form fitting shirt, it shows your curves."
Now those are the kind of "hints" even I'd be able to spot! Ha!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jacksons: this is a complex thing from a woman's perspective. There's a lot of warring reasons that we do or do not look after ourselves.

I would say it's great that you don't want to lie to her, but I'm sure there are things you find attractive about her even when she looks her worst. Giving her compliments does sound counterproductive, but it's actually when we feel kind of pretty that we think it's worth the effort to look pretty.

Another thing is that we often sabotage ourselves by thinking if we look a certain way we'll have to be more outgoing, or be more sexually available, etc. It's super illogical but it happens. We (often subconsciously) think the expectations on us will be higher if we look better.

I'd say make sure you're giving her physical compliments even when you're not trying to have sex. And don't initiate sex every time she puts in the effort on her appearance. (That's not to say you shouldn't do it when the time is right!) Just not to make her feel like there are extra expectations that come with looking better.

Also this is advice someone else was just giving me but it's good here. Positive reinforcement! If she does something you like, make sure she knows it!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Men are visual. Im sure your wife knows this and if she doesnt you should tell her. Was she like 'this' before you married her?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Can't you express to her that it hurts your feelings and you feel like she has no desire to fix herself up for you? You can't come right out and say you want to see her sometimes how she used to be when she would fix herself up for you? That you feel like she doesn't care anymore what you think?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
For most people, how you feel is going to reflect in your appearance.

Jacksons can you gauge how your wife has been feeling? Is she a happy person?

Honestly I love a good pair of pajama pants and a tee the minute I get home from work. Off goes the boulder holder, and I'm in relax mode!!! But... I am considerate. I realize that my husband doesn't mind my relaxed look but he really loves how I look in my work stuff. I got home first last night and made dinner without changing, just so he could come in and see me semi dressed up.

I got a few more kisses and hugs than usual. BONUS for me!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey do you guys ever go for walks? That might be a nice thing to do just because it's enjoyable, but it'd have the side benefit of getting her more active and maybe start that fitness ball rolling.

I just remembered I haven't gone for a walk with H in forever, used to love doing this! I'm going to do this soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.