Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people may consider me needy. I'm simply not getting my needs met. So yeah, maybe in this situation, I may be. What do I want from my wife… just a simple amount of consideration. Respect, intimacy, compromise, good communication with deep heartfelt conversations, surprises. These are things that I expect from a marriage, yet, it’s incredibly hard for her to do these things for some reason. I’m not sure why exactly, except to say that she didn’t have the best of examples from her parents relationship.

Anyhow, I’m now left in this place where my temperature is hotter than hers. I need more from her than she needs from me. And if I try to regain balance by letting up on meeting her needs, and becoming more independent, one of two things happens: she either gets mad, or doesn’t care. Nothing of which is her increasing her desire to show me love. Referencing “MEMs” relationship barometer thread, what’s supposed to happen is if I cool off, she warms up… thus restoring an equal balance of desire and love communication in the relationship.
What I’m struggling with is that this doesn’t work. If I cool off, nothing happens. And I’m not ok with that. I wish I could learn to not care of some of these needs. On a large scale, we have a decent marriage, it’s not met without it’s challenges or anything, but there isn’t any infidelity or something serious like that.

How do you just not care? How can I accept this for what it is? I honestly see one option, and that’s to repress these needs until I can’t take it any longer – which will probably push me over the edge into the arms of another women. It’s not what I want, and I’m not like that. But it’s not like you can “un-desire” those things, right?

Any thoughts, tips, on how to deal with this? I’ve talked with her endlessly on this, and while she says she understands, there hasn’t been any forward movement on improving these things. What do I do? Is there a way that I can meet those needs myself, or just depend less on a relationship?

The alternative of course, is to not live with it anymore, but I’m not ready to make that call yet. I’m at a loss, and could use some tips. It’s not a factor of manning up or anything else, it’s how do you not “need” your spouse. And what kind of marriage would that be if you could live with or without her, no big deal either way.

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
You need food, water, protection from the cold, and a decent amount of sleep. Everything else is a desire and is negotiable. If you "need" all that you described from your wife, you become weak and she becomes powerful if she withholds.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
You're not cooling down enough. You are supposed to get her to a point where she can't ignore the cold, rather than to a point where she accepts it.

If you don't "need" your spouse, why bother staying?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need food, water, protection from the cold, and a decent amount of sleep. Everything else is a desire and is negotiable. If you "need" all that you described from your wife, you become weak and she becomes powerful if she withholds.
do you not want the same things? aren't these pretty much universal, cohabitating, requirements. add in marriage, and i would wager that they are darn near essential.

am i off base here? differing opinions?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not cooling down enough. You are supposed to get her to a point where she can't ignore the cold, rather than to a point where she accepts it.

If you don't "need" your spouse, why bother staying?
this is my point exactly. i have cooled down a lot. a lot. the inbalance remains, in part, due to my wanting things to heat up. after a period of duration being cold, nothing changed. i guess i could take that as she needs my money, and a home, and that's it, as the poster above. so as long as that's there, then she's good. and in order for there to be balance, wouldn't i need to just have those same things as well... ? otherwise there is an imbalance, no?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am like you,and my H is like your W.

I really wish I could give you an answer. I started to cool off and distance myself, and he wouldn't notice or wouldn't care. By the time I stopped caring so much, I realized I had had to push him out of my heart. I no longer care for him or love him the way I used to when I wanted so much of his affection.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you are needy because you want a deep fulfilling relationship. That's just an excuse for those who are afraid of intimacy.

Solve this, try to work on it and make it better, or leave the relationship before you find yourself in an affair

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Is she still in touch with that ex back home?

If she no longer has any communication with him, then YOU are the problem and need to cool off possibly to the point of being cold. If it's just money and a roof she's looking for, she might not be motivated to take action until those two things are threatened.

On the other hand, if she's still in touch with OM, then no amount of cooling off will help.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Maybe instead of focusing on getting your needs met, you should focus on meeting your spouses needs AND put as much time and energy in that as you have put into attempting to get your needs met.

I am not saying this to be callous either, I am sharing from experience and so far, it is the only thing that worked. Now, all of my needs are met and I feel closer than ever to the hunka-hunka burning love that is known as my husband. ;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is she still in touch with that ex back home?

If she no longer has any communication with him, then YOU are the problem and need to cool off possibly to the point of being cold. If it's just money and a roof she's looking for, she might not be motivated to take action until those two things are threatened.

On the other hand, if she's still in touch with OM, then no amount of cooling off will help.
no OM in the picture. no infidelity.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe instead of focusing on getting your needs met, you should focus on meeting your spouses needs AND put as much time and energy in that as you have put into attempting to get your needs met.

I am not saying this to be callous either, I am sharing from experience and so far, it is the only thing that worked. Now, all of my needs are met and I feel closer than ever to the hunka-hunka burning love that is known as my husband. ;)
trust me, i have. my IC tells me i have a very high emotional intelligence, and I feel like i've done a great job meeting her needs. i'll even ask her what i can do better, and she can't think of anything. so... I keep trying to do better, but when i'm in my cool off stage, she doesn't really seem to care.

·
Registered
675 Posts
trust me, i have. my IC tells me i have a very high emotional intelligence, and I feel like i've done a great job meeting her needs. i'll even ask her what i can do better, and she can't think of anything. so... I keep trying to do better, but when i'm in my cool off stage, she doesn't really seem to care.
What are you expecting HER to do in YOUR cool off stage?

·
Registered
17,204 Posts
do you not want the same things? aren't these pretty much universal, cohabitating, requirements. add in marriage, and i would wager that they are darn near essential.

am i off base here? differing opinions?
I'd like the same things but the second I characterize those wants as "needs", I make myself a victim and my wife a cruel oppressor who has the power to destroy me. I've spent 2 years in Iraq. If you woke up this morning and you were alive with both legs and both arms attached, it hasn't been a bad day. Your contentment lives between your own ears and your wife doesn't have custody of it. Your marriage doesn't look exactly like you had planned but nobody else's does, either. Your vision of marriage wasn't a guarantee or a promise. It was only an idea you imagined. What you have is reality and it's not entirely great but it's not entirely awful. Readjust your expectations to more closely resemble your wife's. You probably aren't exactly the husband she dreamed of, either. She's not in prison. She's not cheating. She's not rotting under the ground. She's not cooking meth in the garage. Life could be worse and it is for lots of people. I'd be willing to bet if you looked for reasons to appreciate her, you'd find plenty. Concentrate on those things and you'll feel better about your situation. If you get a chance, go to a military cemetery. Guys a lot younger than you are there. If they were given an extra 24 hours, how would they use it? Lots of husbands (and wives) are overseas and will be gone over a year. Some have gone 6-7 times. They'd be happy just to pull weeds in the garden with their spouse. I don't mean to make light of your troubles. I'm just suggesting you put them into perspective. Along with your troubles, you do have blessings. Contentment and confidence are signs of strength and most women find strength attractive and weakness unattractive. If nothing else, you'll feel better about yourself. In any case, your happiness is your choice. If you lay responsibility for your happiness at someone else's feet, you are always going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
no OM in the picture. no infidelity.
How did that end? I thought I remembered that she was back visiting parents and stayed longer, debating about being with you, at the same time that she had resumed communication with an ex. What am I missing here?

Based on the rest of what you said about emotional intel and expectations, I'm guessing you're not being very assertive about holding her accountable for keeping her marriage vows, like being committed enough to make the marriage more important than self.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like the same things but the second I characterize those wants as "needs", I make myself a victim and my wife a cruel oppressor who has the power to destroy me. I've spent 2 years in Iraq. If you woke up this morning and you were alive with both legs and both arms attached, it hasn't been a bad day. Your contentment lives between your own ears and your wife doesn't have custody of it. Your marriage doesn't look exactly like you had planned but nobody else's does, either. Your vision of marriage wasn't a guarantee or a promise. It was only an idea you imagined. What you have is reality and it's not entirely great but it's not entirely awful. Readjust your expectations to more closely resemble your wife's. You probably aren't exactly the husband she dreamed of, either. She's not in prison. She's not cheating. She's not rotting under the ground. She's not cooking meth in the garage. Life could be worse and it is for lots of people. I'd be willing to bet if you looked for reasons to appreciate her, you'd find plenty. Concentrate on those things and you'll feel better about your situation. If you get a chance, go to a military cemetery. Guys a lot younger than you are there. If they were given an extra 24 hours, how would they use it? Lots of husbands (and wives) are overseas and will be gone over a year. Some have gone 6-7 times. They'd be happy just to pull weeds in the garden with their spouse. I don't mean to make light of your troubles. I'm just suggesting you put them into perspective. Along with your troubles, you do have blessings. Contentment and confidence are signs of strength and most women find strength attractive and weakness unattractive. If nothing else, you'll feel better about yourself. In any case, your happiness is your choice. If you lay responsibility for your happiness at someone else's feet, you are always going to be disappointed.
well put. i agree with what you are saying, and i think this gets at the heart of my OP.

How? When I view these things as needs, and i know they'll never be there, how can I be happy about that. These are things I expect. How can I forget, that for me, these are very important. How do I just make do with what I have if it's not up to standard?

I get the glass half full, be grateful for what you have, look at all the great things she does for me, etc... But that simply masks the problem. It doesn't make it go away. It's still there. How do you forget that. How do you care less?

I'm not sure if this makes any sense...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did that end? I thought I remembered that she was back visiting parents and stayed longer, debating about being with you, at the same time that she had resumed communication with an ex. What am I missing here?

Based on the rest of what you said about emotional intel and expectations, I'm guessing you're not being very assertive about holding her accountable for keeping her marriage vows, like being committed enough to make the marriage more important than self.
are you sure your on the right post? i appreciate the input and you've been on some of my earlier threads, but i think you have the wrong back story.

but your being assertive comment is spot on. i hadn't been for a while. i didn't hold her accountable. I just complained.

I changed that, stated boundaries, she did not respect them for some time, and now she's not living with me because of that. she has shown some level of committment to working things out, and in response to my IC's suggestion to keep seeing her to allow her the ability to work on things, we see each other.

i can be patient, but i just don't see it happening. I'm faced with a decision to either adjust my expectations, or move on. she is her most important person. how do you fight that. it's a battle that can't be won, unless she wants to see that someone else is as important as well.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
You "care less" by having your needs met by enough other resources. I'm not referring to an affair, but to friendships and hobbies and work and such.

When you don't notice anything missing, you won't feel that your life is lacking.

I seem to remember that your previous posts also said you'd treated her pretty insensitively in the past. You might just have to do your penance, or you might have to get back a little of that insensitivity - not enough to be hurtful or betray her, but enough to remind her that you do have other options.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You "care less" by having your needs met by enough other resources. I'm not referring to an affair, but to friendships and hobbies and work and such.

When you don't notice anything missing, you won't feel that your life is lacking.

I seem to remember that your previous posts also said you'd treated her pretty insensitively in the past. You might just have to do your penance, or you might have to get back a little of that insensitivity - not enough to be hurtful or betray her, but enough to remind her that you do have other options.
that's like settling for a "mars" candybar when you know you really want a "reeses". I just don't see those other things, ie. friends, hobbies, etc, satiating my desire to want to have a fulfilling relationship with her.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did have your thread confused with another one on the OM.

And your analogy's a good one. To take it one step further, when you can't get your Reeses, a Mars bar'll keep you from starving.
true true. so how do you stop wanting that reeses when you know it's out of reach. i'm ok not starving, but not for very long. how do you care less?

that's the question

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.