Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may come across as petty, but I have only been married for a little over a year and I need advice.

My husband enjoys watching and practicing in MMA fights at a training facility that he recently joined. I am happy he gets to do things he truly enjoys, giving me and him space, however he now wants to take it too far. He attends these practices 4 times a week for 2-3 hours (particularly weekends). That was fine, but now he desires to get involved in the actual professional MMA sports that will be televised and swarming with young ring girls & women in bikini's lusting over these fighters. I trust my husband and he is a good man, but if there is an opportunity for these woman to approach him with their cleavage hanging out and giving him all this attn, he may fall weak . I hear about this all the time!

The other issue is medical coverage should he get critically hurt (or brain dead!), & the expense of traveling & lodging. I desire a house when our debts are paid off , thus this newfound activity will delay that process. Plus this turns me off from having his baby, for I do not want to be the wife stuck home raising his kid, while he is out traveling & having fun.

Don't get me wrong...I am proud of his talent, but b4 we got married he stated he would only practice, not try for his pro-card. I feel angry and betrayed. He is angry at my feelings about this and states I am a threat to his dreams just because I am secure & psycho. How would he feel if I was prancing around with men in thongs, spilling out their goods? :mad:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I know I would feel the same in your situation. You have to have a lot of trust and self assurance to be the partner of someone who is having scantily clad members of the opposition sex in their face all the time.

Did you ask him yet how he would feel if the situation were reversed (see your last para) and if so what was the response? Will he at least acknowledge your fears?

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Not sure what MMA you are watching, but generally there are like 2 ring girls in bikini's - and like 12 or more fighters - plus a predominately male audience. I'm guessing those 2 bikini girls don't have to go chasing after men too often, but may actually get tired of fighting them off.

I don't mean to minimize your concern about the women. The big question is "do you trust him?"

If you do trust him, I think the bigger issue is your concern about how training, traveling and putting his health and life at risk don't match up with your goals of buying a house and having a family.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, I may be way off base here, but here's my opinion. Let me start by saying that I watch MMA fights (I'm female, by the way), and I know 2 people who actually do it.

First of all, you don't just go pro. You have to fight in small venues and amature competitions. It's not all that glamorous. Also, in the beginning, I think you are more focused on getting your MMA career going than on the ring girls. From what my one MMA friend tells me, when he's in there fighting, he doesn't even notice the girls, he's focused on his fight.

Also realize, that most of these girls have their own agenda. They want modeling contracts, etc... They've got men drooling over them all the time and aren't necessarily interested in a sweaty, beat up guy.

Not to say that it never happens, but it isn't like there is one man surrounded by scantily clad women rubbing their clevedge in their face. It's like 2 or 3 ring girls.

If this is what he really wants, then talk to him about it. Put off having a child and travel with him and support him. If you had a chance to make your dream come true, how would you feel if he tried to keep you from it. I think you are risking long term resentment here.

I do understand how you feel. Every sport has it's groupies...every sport has risk of injury.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I feel better now. We did end up resolving the issue and your comments and experience were positively informative!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.