Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to summarize the last year of my life:

It started last year. My wife says she no longer loves me and reveals an EA (co-worker). Devastated I react like any other man in this situation and try to fix everything and go overboard. I check her emails and phone and as far as I can tell the EA is one sided and not physical. The next few months I try my best to address her needs. I educate my self (5 Love Languages, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Love Must be Tough, forums etc.). She feels awful about the EA and actively avoids talking to him.
Overall everything seems normal, we spend time as a family 2 kids (3 and 5 yrs.), we hold hands, hug, talk, complement each other, but no sex. Every time sex comes up she reminds me that there is no love and wants to separate. She leaves a few days here and few days there and comes back. We went to marriage counselling and started to see improvements, more intimacy, one sided, her touching me, but eventually broke down and stopped going.
She feels like she has no control over her life. I've tried a combination of Plan A (marriagebuilders) and 180 but every time I start seeing results we run into the intimacy issue again. This last break down I told her that I would like her to be there for me physically and that she can't just have me around as a friend. I've told her more than once that she is free to do whatever she wants. I won't stop her from leaving. But at the same time I've told that I believe in marriage and want us to be a family.

I can't find many resources on men in the situation I'm in. I keep trying these 180s but I keep falling every time she starts coming back to me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback on what to do next. I am completely lost. Every time I think I know what to do I falter.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

It started last year. My wife says she no longer loves me and reveals an EA (co-worker). Devastated I react like any other man in this situation and try to fix everything and go overboard. I check her emails and phone and as far as I can tell the EA is one sided and not physical. The next few months I try my best to address her needs. I educate my self (5 Love Languages, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Love Must be Tough, forums etc.). She feels awful about the EA and actively avoids talking to him.
Overall everything seems normal, we spend time as a family 2 kids (3 and 5 yrs.), we hold hands, hug, talk, complement each other, but no sex. Every time sex comes up she reminds me that there is no love and wants to separate. She leaves a few days here and few days there and comes back. We went to marriage counselling and started to see improvements, more intimacy, one sided, her touching me, but eventually broke down and stopped going.
She feels like she has no control over her life. I've tried a combination of Plan A (marriagebuilders) and 180 but every time I start seeing results we run into the intimacy issue again. This last break down I told her that I would like her to be there for me physically and that she can't just have me around as a friend. I've told her more than once that she is free to do whatever she wants. I won't stop her from leaving. But at the same time I've told that I believe in marriage and want us to be a family.

I can't find many resources on men in the situation I'm in. I keep trying these 180s but I keep falling every time she starts coming back to me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback on what to do next. I am completely lost. Every time I think I know what to do I falter.
Where does she go and what does she do when she leaves?

Maybe the next time, you should take her up on her offer. When she leaves, let her know that the marriage is over if she does so. Call her bluff. Ask if she she has seen an attorney - and consider seeing one yourself. When she leaves, does she take the children or leave them with you?

Since you say that you have tried everything, it might be time for her to consider the consequences and file for divorce. You can always reconsider later since a divorce takes time before it is finalized, but filing for divorce might be the wake up call she needs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She usually goes to a hotel on her own and leaves the kids. Comes back miserable because she misses them. She's also stayed with a friend of ours once. We still live together. If I file for divorce, I'll have to follow through if she calls the bluff. I'm not ready to do that yet. But I guess I have to do something don't I?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
She usually goes to a hotel on her own and leaves the kids. Comes back miserable because she misses them. She's also stayed with a friend of ours once. We still live together. If I file for divorce, I'll have to follow through if she calls the bluff. I'm not ready to do that yet. But I guess I have to do something don't I?
And who is she staying with at the hotel without her children? And if she is so "miserable", why does she keep doing it?

It sounds like you are afraid that she will call your bluff, however, your marriage can't continue as it stands now can it? And what about her filing for divorce, since she is the one who wants to end it (at her convenience).

Yes, unless you are enjoying the situation now (and clearly you are not), you just may have to end the charade. The marriage as you knew it is over. You can ride this out, but you will end up divorced eventually. Your other option is to end this marriage, and maybe in the process she will realize that she is losing you for good. This might clear her head, or it might not, but you really have no choice and the sooner the better.

Good luck to you. I feel your pain. But sometimes you have to look out for yourself and your children, with or without her.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Seems like your approach worked to a certain degree, a few times even... but then you push for sex and you're back to square one...

Maybe you expect major results too fast... different women are wired differently so it could be that for your wife (LD anyway?), sex is not on the menu before you guys connect emotionally in a larger degree than you got to achieve yet...

So I would stay the course and not push for sex anymore, for the time being... she knows you want sex, let her initiate when she's ready.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is the dilemma. File for divorce or continue. Have any other men here been through anything similar? Did your partner come back to connect with you again intimately after being apart for a long time?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

You can't combine the two.

Plan A and the 180 are two distinct and incompatible tactics.

Either one standing alone has its pros and cons. They will conflict with one another should you attempt them simultaneously and you will end up with a big handful of regret.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
tryingpatience:

Was she ever in love with you? What were the early days like?
Describe the evolution of the marriage.

Was it a case of 'she was never really in love with you, just got married' or was it a slow devolving decent into the present state?

Does she really think the grass is greener in another pasture?
You sound like a pretty good husband. what is your self critique?
Where do you think you went wrong, or did you?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
syhoybenden:
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. Basically what I've been doing was addressing her complaints (wrongly labelled Plan A) i.e. doing more house work, spending more time at home etc. and at the same time not chasing, not begging, trying to be happy on my own (180).

jorgegene:
In counselling she said the last time she felt love was after our first born. After the EA was addressed she did say she loved me but quickly back tracked. We are really good friends, she says that I am her best friend, and we've known and dated each other for a long time, since high school. After our second was born I did not meet all her needs but I wouldn't say I was really neglectful. I have address those issues these last couple of months. There was a time after our first that we were having a lot of sex and that resulted in our second. The sex was part of what she said she never had control over. She had a hard time saying 'no' to me because she was always afraid to disappoint me. I had no idea that she felt this way until our initial marriage break down. I haven't been pushing for sex this past couple of months. I've been giving her space. But it does come up once in a while when I can hold it in any longer.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
The only resource you need is for a lawyer for your divorce and a locksmith to retool your doors on your house.

For Gods sake man, she's walking all over you and your letting her.

Maybe you believe in marriage but in order for that to happen, you have to have one.

Next time she skips out for a few days tell her not to come back. That will give you the time to find an attorney and be done with this mess.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From your brief description, sounds like she's lost her attraction to you, and when you change your behavior to become more attractive and it starts to draw her in, you display non-attractive behaviors again...i.e. neediness for sex. Along the lines of what EasyPartner said above.

You also may "think" you are fully meeting her needs...but it doesn't sound like it to me. If you were, she may not necessarily be wanting to have sex with you still, but she definitely wouldn't be running off all the time. She'd feel too good to want to risk being away from you. That's the first step. The second step is focusing on you behaving more attractively again, once you KNOW you're meeting her needs. And you will KNOW. She'll tell you, and her actions will back it up.

Obviously you can work on those two steps simultaneously, but she needs to have that emotional connection first, her emotional needs fully met before she can allow herself to display her attraction to you, to be safe and comfortable enough. Did she ever say why she was drawn to the OM? It doesn't matter a great deal, but it could help shed some light. My guess is that it was "needs" related way more than attraction. Again highlighting that you were not anywhere near meeting her needs in the right ways.

Calle Zorro has a great program on how to properly meet your wife's needs and how to become attractive to your wife again, including shut down and blocked wives. If you really get into it, it can be a little costly, but so is divorce and counseling etc. The subscribers forum there is a critical component too, full of guys who have been through all kinds of situations and understand all the material, and successfully came through. Some of the advice is going to be similar to what you've already seen here and in other materials, but far more comprehensive and a very clear "blueprint". Some of it will be an entirely new perspective to you too. It's all centered around strong values - character, integrity, responsibility, respect, love, etc.

In my opinion it's your best bet. It's no quick fix, and it requires a lot of work from YOU. But it's also work ON you, FOR you. The beauty of it is that it helps you become the kind of man who can move forward in your life, positively, one way or the other. You'll be a far better man with or without her. Hopefully with her of course, that's the goal.

It also requires -zero- effort or input from her. She doesn't even need to know you're doing it. But she WILL notice and she WILL respond. So long as you ruthlessly stick to the principles, you will become the man of her dreams again. It will then be up to her to decide to embrace that or not.

my two cents, good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
Your wife clearly told you she doesn't love you.
She already cheated on you.
And is unwilling to have sex with you.

And you STILL think you can reconcile?

You clearly gave it your all, your wife is done....what she has done or how she did it is now irrelevent. It's time to move on, close this chapter of your life and find someone that will treat you better.

You don't deserve this.

PS. Keep children COMPLETELY out of this. You being in an unhealthy relationship is as bad on them as no marriage. And to your advantage they are still too young to really understand.....so it should be easier.

Last advice, I would gather as much evidence as possible before pressing any buttons, and of course try to reach a mutual agreement with your wife/with no lawyers involved (cause the second that happens expect 5-15k going to them....from EACH of you).

Good luck

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Was her withdrawing from you regarding sex mentioned in counseling? If so, what did the counselor say about it?

Marriage and sex go together. She is denying you and herself a whole relationship.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
Was her withdrawing from you regarding sex mentioned in counseling? If so, what did the counselor say about it?

Marriage and sex go together. She is denying you and herself a whole relationship.
To be honest, I'm not sure if I would want sex if I was OP right now.

I would probably ask for STD test first......

There is a GOOD reason why she is not sexual with him.

Probably just in it for the kids at this point.....while doing her own thing on the side.

Think about this for a second OP. She had an emotional relationship with her co worker. Someone that she works with and sees EVERY DAY.

One would have to be REALLY naive to think that nothing physical happened yet......I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Put yourself in her shoes. If you don't love your wife and your co worker lady already showed you that she is ready to bang......how long can you keep it in your pants?

yeah

If she ever offers it, this usually means her other relationship is going sour.

If you do choose to be sexual with her again, protect yourself......and ask her for STD test (this is nothing to play around with).

I stand by my original advice, time for divorce!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I don't buy into the whole it's final in her mind yet. I do think she's confused, but I don't think that has been thoroughly dealt with in counseling. They need to work through that. She's affectionate in all other ways except actual sex.

He's willing to work past whatever was going on with the co-worker to get on the same page as his wife. That's should be validated.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
She feels like she has no control over her life. .
What do you think this means?
This means that she still wants another man, but for whatever reason she cannot have him. IT could be impractical. It could be he doesn't want her.

You don't have to go straight to a divorce. But, you do have to act differently then you are currently acting.

The current situation is this. She cheated. You took the blame and started acting better. Now, how many women are sexually attracted to men who bend over backwards to fix themself after she cheats on him? Do you think your wife feels you are really attracted to her versus wanting the kids not to suffer or yourself not to suffer with a divorce? How could she feel that you love HER as opposed to loving simply your marital status? It's hard for her to wrap herself around that.

You should no longer GIVE more than you are receiving. And embrace it. Welcome it. Isn't there a big upside not having to worry about meeting your wife's needs? You get to do what YOU feel like doing. You get to call the shots as it suits you. You get to construct a world where you and your kids are the center, and she is not really welcome other than to look after your kids when you have something better to do.

A free man, an independent man, a man who expects people to earn a place in his life... When she is on the outside looking in, she will want to earn a place back into her family. That is the man your wife will find sexually desirable.

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
What do you think this means?
This means that she still wants another man, but for whatever reason she cannot have him. IT could be impractical. It could be he doesn't want her.

You don't have to go straight to a divorce. But, you do have to act differently then you are currently acting.

The current situation is this. She cheated. You took the blame and started acting better. Now, how many women are sexually attracted to men who bend over backwards to fix themself after she cheats on him? Do you think your wife feels you are really attracted to her versus wanting the kids not to suffer or yourself not to suffer with a divorce? How could she feel that you love HER as opposed to loving simply your marital status? It's hard for her to wrap herself around that.

You should no longer GIVE more than you are receiving. And embrace it. Welcome it. Isn't there a big upside not having to worry about meeting your wife's needs? You get to do what YOU feel like doing. You get to call the shots as it suits you. You get to construct a world where you and your kids are the center, and she is not really welcome other than to look after your kids when you have something better to do.

A free man, an independent man, a man who expects people to earn a place in his life... When she is on the outside looking in, she will want to earn a place back into her family. That is the man your wife will find sexually desirable.
Although this is all good advice, fact remains, she doesn't love him.

No matter what OP does or how different he is.......without love, it doesn't matter.

She will not gain love or love you again even if he changes his way.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for all the responses. I've been reading and listening. I do like what you are saying Hicks. A_Bit_Much we never really got to the bottom of her crisis before we stopped counselling. DoF, yes when you put things that way I feel stupid because it becomes obvious.
I'm trying to see if we can get past whatever she is going through. I completely believe that the problem is with her not me. I acknowledged my faults early. I made it clear that her affair was unacceptable and that it was disrespectful to me and our marriage. That is where my head is right now. It took me a while to get there but I do realize that divorce is an option. Just not convinced yet that it is the only option.
She shows me that she cares in many other ways. Can't it grow from there? Or is it all or nothing in your experience?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
A person that doesn't care isn't there. That's been my experience.

If she's showing you in other ways, there is hope. You have to get to the bottom of it, and you can't do it IMO without the help of a counselor. Draw your line in the sand. Counseling continues or she has to move out.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.