Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I have this saying that is even in my signature.

YOU CAN OUT-DIET A BAD EXERCISE PROGRAM, BUT YOU CAN'T OUT-EXERCISE A BAD DIET.

In order to improve fitness and appearance, you will need to get the diet in check. Log all food you intake. There are many apps you can use on the computer and phone to log your food. Plan your meals. You can eat out. You can have "cheat" foods. They just need to be in the plan and accounted for.
I feel properly chastised. I promise to do better.

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
Keeping track of all your food intake works for some people, but I prefer to let my body tell me what and when to eat. I eat until I am satisfied and I make sure to eat enough fat. I feel great and am at my goal weight.
There are some things I cannot eat and some things I won't eat due to believing they do not contribute to my well being and health, but that still leaves a wide range of options. I want to enjoy what I eat and hate to feel hungry.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wasn't trying to chastise anyone. Many people think if they just exercise, that gives them the excuse to eat anything. Hey, I just did an hour on the treadmill, so I can have a double cheeseburger, fries and a coke. Well, the hour on the treadmill may have burned 500 calories if you are lucky. The meal there was about 1200 calories. So, you are still 700 over. That is all I was trying to say. :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you at the time. If your eating isn't on point, at least you are working out! And vice-versa.

Sometimes I'll have a few good weeks with both my eating and workout routine, but more often than not one slips. Still improving my health and losing weight though.

For me it works best to make small changes over time I can stick with. Those "eat five teeny protein only meals and work out 2 hours every day" type plans never last for me.

More power to the people who can do them, but it's not for everyone!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Had a really good run last week and am almost at my goal of running a 5k in under 30 minutes!

For some reason I had a mental block of thinking I "couldn't" do it and now I am within a few minutes of my goal!!!! :smthumbup:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I wasn't trying to chastise anyone. Many people think if they just exercise, that gives them the excuse to eat anything. Hey, I just did an hour on the treadmill, so I can have a double cheeseburger, fries and a coke. Well, the hour on the treadmill may have burned 500 calories if you are lucky. The meal there was about 1200 calories. So, you are still 700 over. That is all I was trying to say. :)
I was kidding ya. I think it was you that posted pictures of yourself right before a competition? So you probably know what you are talking about. :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
So, my mother is here... For few months.... She is cooking, old-fashion way, yummy and not dietery:) I consider it success not to gain anything, but loosing will be even bigger challenge now:)

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
Oh the obstacles to health. Living with other people who are not on the same page can be difficult at times. I have intolerance to both cow's milk dairy and gluten. Recently my husband found that his digestive issues were gluten related, so he quit gluten. To help him, the whole family went gluten free. It wasn't too difficult since I was already cooking gluten free due to my issues. It has been really nice to finally have everyone on the same page in the house. No one is allowed to bring gluten into the house anymore and it has helped a lot. I cleaned out all the wheat products and gave them away.
One step at a time. The kids still buy junk food, but they are a lot more careful about what is in it now, because they have to read the labels on everything.
It also helps that since we all went gluten free at home, my husband and my son have noticed a huge improvement in how they feel and a lot of issues we didn't realize were gluten related have been resolving.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing now that holidays are approaching?

Turns out I'm going to be working pretty much every holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, Christmas, NYE, and New Year's day. Shoot me!) so the temptation to party, overeat, and be boozy should be minimal. No time in the schedule for it! Which is kinda nice, and kinda sad. Oh well, whatever works!!!

I am going to a Friendsgiving party this Sunday. Saving my extra running calories for a few glasses of beer. I'm bringing a keg of the good stuff and I plan to enjoy it!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am doing great braveworld. Sticking to my diet. Holidays are going to be hard but I am in a good frame of mind lol. Not going to gain any of the 22 pounds I have lost!

Be strong girls!

Reactions: bravenewworld

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congrats to those that are keeping on the wagon!! The holidays are always tough to stay on diet. Do the best you can, but continue to log everything you eat.

Remember, this is a long journey, not a short sprint. There will be ups and downs, but hopefully, you are seeing a monthly progression in the way you want to go.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Lord my boss is on a medically supervised liquid diet..... In two months she has lost 34 pounds. I don't care what you do but when real food is introduced there is no way the weight will completely stay off. Change your eating and exercise! Pounds don't come off as fast but they can stay off.

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
My husband did not weight himself on September 1st when he went off gluten, but he has lost 30-40 lbs since then. He stopped eating gluten, but did not replace it with "gluten free" items. Instead he just skips the bread and includes fruits or vegetables instead. He said it has been easy. He wasn't trying to lose weight. He was trying to resolve digestive issues. He is feeling much better.

·
Registered
802 Posts
CD that is one thing I have removed from my diet and it has helped greatly. Also no refined sugars.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Congrats to those that are keeping on the wagon!! The holidays are always tough to stay on diet. Do the best you can, but continue to log everything you eat.

Remember, this is a long journey, not a short sprint. There will be ups and downs, but hopefully, you are seeing a monthly progression in the way you want to go.
bbdad, is that avatar you? Which way is the gun show??? :D

Agree it's a long journey. My weight fluctuates but at the end of each month I have been down at least 3 lbs. Not super quick weight loss but I'll take it. I've decided not to update my ticker though until I hit 50 lbs of weight loss. Not too far off - but it's SO frustrating! My eating has been 70% good but I know it should be more like 90%.

Can't be at the full 100% because there's no way in hell I am totally cutting out beer or dark chocolate. :D

Workout-wise still marathon training. Going to try a 10-13 mile run tomorrow depending on how my body feels. Almost hit the wall on the 10 mile mark last week, so I bought some energy gels to help with that. Kind of funny, tried running on a treadmill and I HATED it. Outdoors feels so much better to me and my times are much faster.

Can anyone suggest some easy healthy meals with minimal cooking? My work hours over the holiday are INSANE and I have very little time for meal preparation. Right now I'm living on nonfat greek yogurt with fresh fruit and chia seeds and grilled chicken salads - but I know I need to switch it up.

Keep up the good work all!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Lord my boss is on a medically supervised liquid diet..... In two months she has lost 34 pounds. I don't care what you do but when real food is introduced there is no way the weight will completely stay off. Change your eating and exercise! Pounds don't come off as fast but they can stay off.
I know someone who has done this 3 separate times. Each time they lost 80lbs and then immediately gained it all back. That's gotta be hard on your body.

Although I get frustrated the weight isn't coming off quickly I have to remember I don't really gain it back either - even if my eating sucks for a few weeks. Before this challenge I had a month of very poor eating and only gained like 2 lbs. So I guess the benefit of losing weight slowly via only diet and exercise is you actually have to work at gaining!

Also I know people who had weight loss surgery and literally did not need it as they never even tried to lose weight the old fashioned way. I understand if you are so obese you can't move or exercise, but if you have to "doctor shop" because the surgeon thinks you need to try other methods first - that's probably a clue surgery is not the answer!

·
Premium Member
7,476 Posts
I think eating dark chocolate in moderation can help with weight loss. If you eat a small amount daily it should be good for you and at least not hinder weight loss.

·
Registered
526 Posts
bbdad, is that avatar you?
Yeah. I just competed in a body building competition. Placed in 3 divisions. I was happy. Time to just grow now.

I just pop in here to offer fitness/nutrition advice where I can.

Best of luck to all of you as you stay on this lifestyle of fitness and good health.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Doing liquid diet for a period of time is an effective way to reset your eating habits. One should expect to gain some pound back, also to change eating habits after it. It is the first step to new lifestyle.

Reactions: Tomara
101 - 120 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.