Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

First time I've written any thing like this but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Yesterday my boyfriend of 5 years told me he doesn't know if he loves me anymore.. Talk about being shocked! We bought a house together about 7 months ago and up until a few weeks ago I had no clue he felt that way.
When he told me he was crying and keep saying that the never wanted to hurt me and that he just didn't feel 'anything' anymore. He wants to try couples counselling - we are booked in to see someone in a few days time. In the mean time he's staying away at his brothers and I'm trying to hold myself together.
Has anyone has anyone had a similar situation?
He wants to try every option before calling it quits but if the love is gone can it come back?

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
Hi All,

Yesterday my boyfriend of 5 years told me he doesn't know if he loves me anymore.. Talk about being shocked! We bought a house together about 7 months ago and up until a few weeks ago I had no clue he felt that way.

You should focus on the mortgage you signed together as love with a BF is one thing and being in debt and ruining your credit is FAR FAR worse and will cause you suffering for a longggg time.
Get off that note or have him move out.

As far as your BF, your not legally married except to the house.
You can walk away at any time from him, but not the house if you bought it together.

·
Registered
653 Posts
your boyfriend is conducting himself in a very admirable way.

i'm sorry he feels as he does, but he's acting honorably.

this bodes well for your relationship

if the two of you stick to your plan and really do 'try every option', there's a very good chance your relationship will not only survive, but come through this crisis stronger than ever.

and if your relationship is not meant to be, you'll personally come through emotionally stronger with the confidence that indeed it was not meant to be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support :)
I do trully hope that we can 'find' the love that seems to be missing. For the moment I will just be happy with the fact that he wants to exhaust every option with an open mind.

·
Registered
653 Posts
you're wiser than your years, good for you for staying positive.

couples counseling will be very revealing for the both of you, and you seem to be in a good place to hear what might be said.

have a bunny, they're free
:bunny:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I'd add a little bit of background to see if someone can see any answers to the problem in what I say.
We worked together for a few years before becoming a couple. At first I was just in it for a bit of fun. I'd have a 7 year relationship (which included a house but no kids thankfully) go bad with the reaon being I was drinking which doesn't agree with me at all.
I was still drinking when he and I first got together but after about a year I stoped (four years without a drink!). He was the one that wanted to settle down and get all serious, I can't say that it wasn't what I'd hoped for, it was 'nice'. Along the way somewhere I've fallen in love with him deeply and up until 6 weeks ago he says he felt the same.
How can love just go? He says he told me becuase he felt guilty sitting on the couch cuddling (as we do every night) and just feeling numb.
He has added stress at work and I'm actually wondering if he's depressed and that's why he feels like this?
Any ideas of what to do or how to make the love grow again I'd much appreciate.
We are taking time apart and my head tells me this is the right option but my heart screams to see him :scratchhead:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said nothing was wrong with the relationship, that I'm wonderful and do everything that he wants/needs. He just says he doesn't feel 'love' for me anymore - well he says he's not 100% sure that there is nothing there.
I know that I am a bit of a control freak and like a fairly structured life, he's more of a take each day as it comes type of guy.
All I want it to have him feel something other than loyalty for me and guilt at not feeling like he used too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to write this down which is why I'm replying to my own comment i guess.
We had the first counseling session yesterday. It was okay but still if he doesn't have feelings for me (other than loyalty and guilt over hurting me) I can't fix it. We are still going to try everything to get back we had. He wants to because he doesn't think it's fair to throw away 5 years of happiness when he's not even sure why his feelings are gone. He's a very black and white type of guy - either you are in something 100% or you just don't do it. He's not 100% sure that he wont feel something for me again. I thought shutting off all contact and hoping that he would miss me would work but he wants to keep in contact and still wants to see me.
Has anyone out there just stopped loving their partner for no real reason at all?
I'm not worried about losing the house - he's going to sign it over to m sooner rather than later because he knows that I've been through it before and he doesn't want me go through it again - plus it was my money that we spent on getting it in the first place.
We are having a trial seperation - have no idea how long we want it to last just that we want to sort it out before the end of this year. Does that sound fesible? I have no ideas here....

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
How can love just go? :
Real love doesn't go like that. It sounds more like infatuation or some immature or shallow type of situation than it was love.
Those kinds of relationships can all of a sudden be done, gone and over, in a flash. Real love isn't like that, so I guess your lucky your not married as it would cost you a lot to divorce. Instead you can use the money you would normally spend to divorce and hire an attorney to get off the mortgage or have him buy you out of it.

You say he is a black and white kinda guy... sounds to me like he may not be that deep to begin with... or able to susutain a relationship since his feelings change so easily.
Last thing I'd do is put my faith into someone like that !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not worried bout my crdit rating as such I can afford the mortgage myself so that's not really an issue. Thanks for the imput :) any sort of opinion is what I need right now.

·
Premium Member
12,751 Posts
How was the physical part of the relationship over the last 5 years - consistent - slowly tapering off? Has either of you changed much physically?

Not worried bout my crdit rating as such I can afford the mortgage myself so that's not really an issue. Thanks for the imput :) any sort of opinion is what I need right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I guess it's been tapering off over the past couple of months... both working longer hours so actual sex is only on the weekends. We still cuddled on the couch every night and lots of hugs and kisses. I'm starting to wonder if he's depressed and doesn't know it - would that make him feel nothing?

physically he's gained a bit of weight.. but I'm still very much the same as when we were first together. He says he's still attracted to me but doesn't know 100% if he loves me. I'm just darn confused :(

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
Since he is open to exhaust all options (which is a really great sign, IMO) have you talked to him about the possibility of depression? It sure would fall in line with his sudden unhappiness. If he is feeling pressure at work, the financial stress of needing his income may be causing him to resent you in some way (although not your fault in any way) but I wonder if he'd be willing to take a depression test (they are online and about 10 questions)...just to rule that out?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

Positive that there is no one else, he would have told me rather than putting me into a 'holding pattern' and going to counseling. He finds it hard to talk about his feelings at the best of times let alone talking to a complete stranger so I know he's trying to find the cause behind the feeling of being 'numb' towards me.
If it was someone else I'd be in a better place in a way, there would be a reason to give up on us. The way that it is makes me sad and angry all at once.
I've put it back on him to contact me (he wants to continue the contact and communication. I wanted to cut it all off in hope that he will miss me). The problem that I'm finding with that is that when he does ring or what ever I'm reading too much into it. He's just making sure that I'm okay and all i want is for him to say 'I love you'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Swedish you are thinking along the lines of what I think has happened. He is not exactly a positve person in the first place (I'm always fairly positive). He was been depressed once before when his father passed away and says that it's not what he is feeling. I'm no expert but surely there are different forms of depression and it doesn't have to feel the same everytime?
The therapist asked a lot of questions about depression of him. He says that he's always a bit depressed and doesn't think that that is a cause of this. Is it possible to slide into depression and not even realise it if you have a 'drepessive' personality anyway?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unfortunately there are many people on here who have heard the whole "I don't Love you anymore" statement. I hope that you are going to a pro-marriage pro-keeping it together therapist. I made the mistake of going to some butthead who pretty much just told us to move on and he would help us deal with divorce and the kids. Lovely!!!! Also please read "The Five Love Languages" By Gary Chapman That is a must read. I wish you the best and hopefully you guys can save this before it gets too far outta hand.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have to agree with knorto i got the i dont love someone speech and found out a couple of weeks later it was cause he loved someone else. i hope not for your sake but the i dont love you speech is sometimes harder than the i found someone who appeals to me more because at least then your not racking your brain trying to figure out whats wrong with you.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.