Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife have been married nearly 30 years. I am 51 years old and she is 48. Early in the marriage I told her I wanted to get a tattoo and immediately got a “no” because she doesn’t believe in them and that it’s against God per the Bible. So I respected her wishes and never got one. She doesn’t have any either. We’ll fast forward to present day 2021. My wife’s sisters recently got tattoos as did one of her friends. Out of the blue she told me that she wants to get a tattoo and have had a meaningful design that she’s had for a long time in case she changed her views. She even said she wants it on her right wrist. I’m like “What happened to you being against them?” She stated that she’s changed her views and realized they are not bad or trashy. I suggested both of us get a couple tattoo together. It would be our first. I sensed reluctance when she agreed. We contacted an artist after finding a design. She would repeatedly remind me my job has a tattoo policy and wearing long sleeve’s or bandages in Texas heat would get old. Well when the subject would always change when I bring it up, she sat me down and told me only wants one tattoo and only the design she picked out and she’s been planning this for a long time and it was going to be a sister thing because her sister wants a second. I told her well then I’ll get one for me and her reply was get this, “ABSOLUTELY NOT!” She tried to explain tattoos have to be meaningful, not everyone should have one and I won’t look right with a tattoo because of my personality. She said it would be like our pastor or a sweet grandfather getting one which wouldn’t be right. This double standard angers me and I need suggestions soon. She plans to get one very soon as a Christmas gift to herself.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It sounds like to me, since I'm cynical, is that she wanted a tattoo from a specific artist and you're getting the tattoo with her prevents her from seeing that artist personally. It sounds like she's at risk of an affair, if she already hasn't stepped out on you.

Just tell her that you agree that tattoos should be meaningful. You'll get one that has meaning to you and she can have one that is meaningful to her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like to me, since I'm cynical, is that she wanted a tattoo from a specific artist and you're getting the tattoo with her prevents her from seeing that artist personally. It sounds like she's at risk of an affair, if she already hasn't stepped out on you.
The thought that came to my mind is in the past she’s threatened to part ways as soon as the kids are out of high school. Like maybe she doesn’t want permanent his/her tattoos. I would be wondering if she was planning an exit in a couple years. She also blew a head gasket after I shaved my head a few years back saying she’d be embarrassed to be around me. She’s weird that way.

·
Registered
475 Posts
A tattoo on a 48-year-old woman is a very bad idea. Tattoos are not sexy at that age but masculine. Tell her to take a 90 day grace period to think it thru. Better yet, go on amazon and purchase the tattoo stickers. Cost - about 15 bucks. They are very much like the real thing. Look really good but wash off in a week.

When she has an urge for a tat, slap on a decal. Plus with the decals, you are not stuck with the same tat which people get bored of. W/ these decals you can get the feel for what it's like. The urge for the real thing will probably die out over time.
She's on the tat kick. Don't do it. You shouldn't get one either.

I heard someone say the new tat is not having a tat. Many many women get the stupidest things plastered on their bodies. It's almost comical.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
A tattoo on a 48-year-old woman is a very bad idea. Tattoos are not sexy at that age but masculine. Tell her to take a 90 day grace period to think it thru. Better yet, go on amazon and purchase the tattoo stickers. Cost - about 15 bucks. They are very much like the real thing. Look really good but wash off in a week.

When she has an urge for a tat, slap on a decal. Plus with the decals, you are not stuck with the same tat which people get bored of. W/ these decals you can get the feel for what it's like. The urge for the real thing will probably die out over time.

I heard someone say the new tat is not having a tat. Many many women get the stupidest things plastered on their bodies. It's almost comical.

She could also get a henna tattoo, which is just dyed ink put on the skin and it wears away over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think it could be one of her keep up with the Jones’s things she’s done in the past. I remember us getting a new car after a couple of her friends got a new car. There was nothing wrong with the one we had. It was almost paid off.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
Early in the marriage I told her I wanted to get a tattoo and immediately got a “no” because she doesn’t believe in them and that it’s against God per the Bible.

Out of the blue she told me that she wants to get a tattoo and have had a meaningful design that she’s had for a long time in case she changed her views. She stated that she’s changed her views and realized they are not bad or trashy.

I told her well then I’ll get one for me and her reply was get this, “ABSOLUTELY NOT!” She tried to explain tattoos have to be meaningful, not everyone should have one and I won’t look right with a tattoo because of my personality
Ah, I see ... So your wife is not only a beyotch, she's a hypocrite too. Got it. And what exactly are you - her doormat?

I hope you locate your cajones. They might be in her purse. Check to see. And tell her to shut her yap.

But here's my question to you: WHY ARE YOU WITH THIS WOMAN??? My God, man, she's telling you what you can and cannot do. JEESH! Find a pair, strap them on, and go get the freakin' tatoo you want.

·
Premium Member
17,560 Posts
I will get a tattoo when @Andy1001 gets his. :p

·
Registered
475 Posts
[
. So your wife is not only a beyotch, she's a hypocrite too. Got it. And what exactly are you - her doormat?

Men have been trained to behave like this thinking it's the right thing to do. Avoid conflict ect....

The damage done by Chivalry and Romantic Courtly Love is impossible to express in words or quantify statistically. The only way out is education.. Most guys haven't ever questioned their beliefs.

Read the Manipulated Man by ester vilar. You can download it online.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Men have been trained to behave like this thinking it's the right thing to do. Avoid conflict ect....

The damage done by Chivalry and Romantic Courtly Love is impossible to express in words or quantify statistically. The only way out is education.. Most guys haven't ever questioned their beliefs.

Read the Manipulated Man by ester vilar. You can download it online.
The only thing that is wrong with chivalry is that it is misunderstood.
You can still be an outright Neantherdal and still be chivalrous.
Chivalry is honourable, not gentle.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You know exactly what I'm talking about. How it used to be a military code of honor that transformed into gynocentrism. Essentially "everything for milady". If you are referring to common courtesy, politeness, and even kindness then ok I'll go w/ that.

the notion of Chivalry has screwed up the male psyche for 900 years. Check out the jewelry commercials. And the legions of knee-bending men.. It ain't going to work out well for those guys.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
You know exactly what I'm talking about. How it used to be a military code of honor that transformed into gynocentrism. Essentially "everything for milady". If you are referring to common courtesy, politeness, and even kindness then ok I'll go w/ that.

the notion of Chivalry has screwed up the male psyche for 900 years. Check out the jewelry commercials. And the legions of knee-bending men.. It ain't going to work out well for those guys.
It's real meaning has been lost for sure.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry for what seems to be @Jeff70 a controlling wife. I would tell her fine and you want to go with her and her sisters and see it done and gage her reaction then go and maybe while there you and her could pick out something. If not after that just go get your own on your own. I would make it plain that you want to go with her.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Me and my wife have been married nearly 30 years. I am 51 years old and she is 48. Early in the marriage I told her I wanted to get a tattoo and immediately got a “no” because she doesn’t believe in them and that it’s against God per the Bible. So I respected her wishes and never got one. She doesn’t have any either. We’ll fast forward to present day 2021. My wife’s sisters recently got tattoos as did one of her friends. Out of the blue she told me that she wants to get a tattoo and have had a meaningful design that she’s had for a long time in case she changed her views. She even said she wants it on her right wrist. I’m like “What happened to you being against them?” She stated that she’s changed her views and realized they are not bad or trashy. I suggested both of us get a couple tattoo together. It would be our first. I sensed reluctance when she agreed. We contacted an artist after finding a design. She would repeatedly remind me my job has a tattoo policy and wearing long sleeve’s or bandages in Texas heat would get old. Well when the subject would always change when I bring it up, she sat me down and told me only wants one tattoo and only the design she picked out and she’s been planning this for a long time and it was going to be a sister thing because her sister wants a second. I told her well then I’ll get one for me and her reply was get this, “ABSOLUTELY NOT!” She tried to explain tattoos have to be meaningful, not everyone should have one and I won’t look right with a tattoo because of my personality. She said it would be like our pastor or a sweet grandfather getting one which wouldn’t be right. This double standard angers me and I need suggestions soon. She plans to get one very soon as a Christmas gift to herself.
She sounds like a jerk. Get your tatoo and quit worrying about it.

Frankly if it was me i would have told her hell know the first time she brought it up.

Reactions: Beach123

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
The thought that came to my mind is in the past she’s threatened to part ways as soon as the kids are out of high school. Like maybe she doesn’t want permanent his/her tattoos. I would be wondering if she was planning an exit in a couple years. She also blew a head gasket after I shaved my head a few years back saying she’d be embarrassed to be around me. She’s weird that way.
Yeah, weird wouldn't be the word I would use.

Reactions: LisaDiane
1 - 20 of 96 Posts