Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
I have 2 guns that I have been training with the past few months before I took my test they are RM380 and 38 Special.

I tested with the instructors 9mm, loved the way it felt in my hands so got the new Springfield 9mm after testing and took it to the range last night( love this gun) So the 9mm will be the gun I will carry, and the others will be in strategic places in my home just in case.
The 9mm is good for a light powered round. To offset it's lackluster ballistics, make sure you load it with high quality defensive ammo: Winchester Silvertips or Ranger Ts (Black Talons), Federal Hi-Shocks or Hydra-Shocks, Glaser Safety Slugs, and Speer Gold Dots are all good dependable rounds. Test them out, see which fire the best for you and which feed without jamming or stove piping. Keep your wrist stiff. :)

I like the 9mm for target shooting. I have a very expensive 9mm that only comes out of my safe maybe once every three years, because it is a very rare pistol.

As you get more proficient and comfortable with shooting, I recommend you move up the power scale to a .40 S&W or .45 ACP for your primary carry. Women do exceptionally well with any of the Colt 1911 .45 clones. Way better than me. I can't shoot that pistol to save my life.

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
I've heard the .45 stopping power argument for decades, in and out of military.

I've carried this weapon for 22 years and it's a favorite of many for many reasons...

As for stopping ability, I think your percentages may not play out... there were a lot of LEO that have sadly lost their lives due to smaller calibers, seems stopping power was enough in the wrong hands.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2013/tables/table_35_leos_fk_with_firearms_type_of_firearm_and_size_of_ammunition_2004-2013.xls

But then any discussion past this might be better in another thread.

lostme... carry what you can shoot accurately, let that be the deciding factor in any choice.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I don't have the concealed carry permit and now my state doesn't require a permit to carry concealed. Most people I know who have one got the permit to save time when buying guns. Now having said all that, My guns are not really concealable. I don't own any handguns. But I did spend a few hours Saturday cleaning guns.

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
Interesting society we live in where we congratulate people for carrying weapons.

I wish you luck and I hope it doesn't fall into the wrong hands (mostly children).

I believe we were congratulating the OP for not being afraid to defend herself if needed and learning a means to do so if required in the safest manner possible, training.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Interesting society we live in where we congratulate people for carrying weapons.

I wish you luck and I hope it doesn't fall into the wrong hands (mostly children).
Posted via Mobile Device
In the society we now live in, one does need to be able to protect themselves. If I'm home alone and someone breaks into my house to rob and rape me I want to be able to defend myself. If I'm traveling alone and my vehicle breaks down, and some crazy pulls over to do something to me I want to protect myself.

I have no children, and my friends that do rarely come over with theirs and when they do I have been trained on the safety precautions to take during their visit.

I thought long and hard, and talked to other women who carry before I decided this was right for me. I have trained for quite a few months before I took the test to conceal and carry, and I will also be having continued training.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
In the society we now live in, one does need to be able to protect themselves. If I'm home alone and someone breaks into my house to rob and rape me I want to be able to defend myself. If I'm traveling alone and my vehicle breaks down, and some crazy pulls over to do something to me I want to protect myself.
I am in no position regarding telling you how to make yourself feel safe. I am talking about overall, the ideologies associated with carrying a weapon designed to kill. Given that, society, in terms of violent crimes, is much lower than it has been in the past. It is rare for anyone to break I to a house and rape anyone. It's also extremely rare that a rapist just happens to drive by you whilst your car is broken down. It is concerning to me how much of a fearful society we live in. Odds are that you will never need to use the gun (a good thing) and odds are that if a gun is used, it is often a negative consequence rather than a positive one. All I am saying is keep yourself safe from yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You mentioned travel. Make sure you know the laws of the states you travel through. They vary,some GREATLY. Hopefully that will be remedied soon with national reciprocity.
As far as 9mm or .45 (ford or Chevy) , I like both ,but the most efficient weapon is the one you will carry. Congratulations on taking responsibility for your own well being.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You mentioned travel. Make sure you know the laws of the states you travel through. They vary,some GREATLY. Hopefully that will be remedied soon with national reciprocity.
As far as 9mm or .45 (ford or Chevy) , I like both ,but the most efficient weapon is the one you will carry. Congratulations on taking responsibility for your own well being.
I only travel to different parts of my state either overnight or a couple of days.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
As a woman who shoots, I suggest just carrying whatever size and/or caliber feels most comfortable to you. A handgun that's unpleasant to shoot, or that feels clumsy or over/undersized in your hands is one you will find reasons not to practice with as much. And if you're going to carry, you need to be practicing. Whatever fits your hand and is comfortable to shoot will be the best choice for you.

For home protection, I actually prefer a shotgun. My favorite upland bird gun actually does double duty as my beside-the-bed gun.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Good luck with your car. I hope nobody steals it and runs a kid over with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
More false equivalency. I NEED a car to go places. The point of a car is to move, not to kill. Even if I had a jet pack, while is is dangerous, the point is to be able to save people falling off of waterfalls and **** like that.

The point of a gun is to kill. Even with protection, it is to kill the other person. And to open beer cans. Homer taught me that.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
More false equivalency. I NEED a car to go places. The point of a car is to move, not to kill. Even if I had a jet pack, while is is dangerous, the point is to be able to save people falling off of waterfalls and **** like that.

The point of a gun is to kill. Even with protection, it is to kill the other person. And to open beer cans. Homer taught me that.
Rights are not predicated on need.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.