Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not related to my other thread from yesterday so have posted this seperately...

In November I found out a group of mine and H's friends were going out for beers for Christmas (on this Saturday just gone.) I thought this would be a great opportunity for me and H to go out together on a "date" of sorts and catch up with everyone as we do not get out often.

So I run it by him, he is like OK. Arrange for his mom to have the kids weeks in advance. I get new shoes, plan my outfit and am really looking forward to some grown up time with H and have a couple of drinks.

A couple of days before we are due to go out, I am speaking with his mom. She mentions she asked him in the week if we were still going out and that everything regarding plans was OK. He told her he didn't know what was happening. I am confused, we have had plans for weeks! I say it is all good and we are still going out.

Late in the afternoon of the day we are due to go out, we go to take the kids to his mom's house. We go in and sit and chat for a bit. Time passes and I say three or four times we need to get going to get ready. He says yeah then keeps asking mom if she needs a hand with bathing the youngest. She keeps saying no it's fine then 5 minutes later he will ask again. This keeps happening untill it is around 7:45 and I am itching to go get ready and we eventually leave.

We go back home and he asks how I am feeling, I say I am tired, he says what do you want to do? I say drown our sorrows with a few beers. He says he is not bothered about going out.

I could see it coming (no really?) Am disappointed. He says why don't I go out still any way but I say part of the reason I was looking forward to it was because we were going out together.

So we stay in together like a normal Saturday night except with no kids.

Bit hurt and he says he feels guilty.

Last night he asks if I mind him going out for Christmas drinks tonight. I say no. Later I am thinking and realize... Damn. Friday night he is out with his friend for beers. Saturday night he is supposed to be out with me but bails. Sunday he goes out for beers with his friend. Then wants to go out tonight for beers with his friend. Spot the glaring omission of when he wants to go out...

To top it all off we were talking about his friend earlier and he said had his friend gone out on Saturday, *he* would have gone out too. Said the people going out were really *my* friends (not true, some were but many were mutual friends, but his two best friends, one his regular drinking buddy, were not out that night.)

So I feel pretty trashy about myself now. He claims he *is* happy to take me out and lists ideas, one of which he absolutely *hates* but I like and getting him to do it is like pulling teeth and he knows it! Thing is he never actually does take me out like he says.

So how do I feel better about this? Also what do I say to him?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You say, "Really? I'd love to do that tonight!" and make the plans for it.
Ah I hear ya :)

Trouble is in my mind that is calling his bluff. My feeling is that if he were really motivated to want to spend that time with me then he would make it happen.

My take was that those words saying he would like to take me out were pretty empty because fact is, he could have. The circumstances were perfect and do not happen often in being able to get a sitter. He knows that. To me they were compensatory words made to make him sound better, with no actual substance.

The last thing I want, like on Saturday, is to be out with him and know he doesn't really want to be there.

Plus it is looking like he only wants to go out with his friends.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow.

Well we talked about stuff earlier. We seemed to come to some sort of peace. I asked if he could understand why I felt upset about this. He told me it was not anything to do with me at all and talked through a couple reasons explaining why which made sense. One was the difficulty with finding a trusted sitter and another to do with a condition he has which I will not go in to here but makes it difficult to leave the house sometimes.

So I expressed some pretty deep feelings over my troubled esteem and difficulty trusting how he feels about me. It was pretty raw stuff and I felt very vulnerable but he listened and seemed to get it.

Half an hour later he was asking if I was OK with him going out tonight... Not even joking, he will have been out Friday, not Saturday with me, Sunday, Monday, yesterday not but then tonight.

I can tell you I feel pretty darn special right now. Not.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah he does. It all lines up plus it is way easy for me to check out if needed to. I am sure he is where he says, just that he does not want to do the same with me.

He is now saying he was kidding about going out later. Confusing much?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've had issues with this with both my ex and my H. He has no interest in going out to bars...until it's his friends going. Then suddenly he's interested.

If I go he acts all weird and uncomfortable, and it's as if I don't exist. I can barely get him to acknowledge me, almost like he's embarrassed to be with me (I'm attractive and not overweight, fyi).

This is one of those things men like this insist is 'not a big deal' even though you are right there in their face telling them it makes you feel like dirt.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
It sounds to me like your H is behaving like a single man. How would he like it if you went on 3 GNOs in a space of 5 days? He's not playing fair, OP.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah he does. It all lines up plus it is way easy for me to check out if needed to. I am sure he is where he says, just that he does not want to do the same with me.

He is now saying he was kidding about going out later. Confusing much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Next time he does what he did in your OP leave him at home and go out without him or leave him at his moms with the kids and go out without him. I am sure once or twice doing that, he will stop and actually go out with you.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be fair, his evenings out for a beer are not wild nights in the city. He goes to a local bar with his drinking buddy and there will be various other people he knows who are our parents' age. Some couples so it isn't a boys' night out.

An interesting sidenote... Last year I accompanied him on one of these evenings. We got to his regular bar and had a couple beers. A few days later he told me that one of the bartenders had been asking H's friend who was that with H? Friend said I was H's wife and apparently they were really surprised because they didn't know I existed! I mean H and his group regularly chat to the guys that work there and some socialize with them and I found it hurtfull that H just does not put me out there in conversation.

H is allways encouraging me to go out if I want and the night I wrote about, he did say for me to go out by myself to meet our friends. The point was that we were meant to be going TOGETHER. Date nights are hard to come by, thus organizing it a month in advance.

If I started going out by myself? I really do not think he would suddenly start making an effort to go out with me. I just don't.

He also made a huge point about basically how easy it is to go out for drinks locally, how difficult it is to go out on a date night with arranging a sitter. He asks me why *I* do not arrange stuff and I say because he stopped showing any enthusiasm for a date night and I could not deal with feeling I was "forcing" him into it. Despite this he says he *loves* spending time with me?

I should also say that we do have once a week maybe three hours where family have the kids, in the daytime, at the weekend. His feeling is that I should just be happy with that,then he goes on to complain how difficult it is, we have to rush around on that day, he feels so stressed afterwards with driving about to pick the kids up ( family live a half hour away) that often after he wonders what we are doing.

My feeling is that I need to deal with what I have in front of me. Appreciate the time we *do* have and stop wishing for more. A "bait and switch" of sorts I have said. I *know* life changes from when dating to being married and having kids. But I am made to feel greedy if I want couple time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
In that case, OP, you just need to talk to him and let him know that you need the occasional date night with him.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cosmos, he knows this as I made sure to articulate it. I have also said it does not have to be going out for drinks like he does with his friends and staying out for hours. We could go see a movie. Go out for dinner. Go see a favorite comedian when they tour. Stuff like that.

I am just gonna start doing stuff like this on my own or with a friend. If he decides he wants to join then all the better. I am not going to nag, moan or make him feel pressured. For sure though the moment I stop reminding him he will think I am not bothered anymore. Cannot win either way.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would just start going out without him. Have you ever gone out on your own, and left him with the kids? And has he always gone out without you, or did it start after marriage/kids/etc?

I would be really annoyed if my SO did what your husband does. You have tried talking to him about how much this hurts you, and even telling him straight out that you need a date night occasionally...and he still doesn't listen?

I also find it very strange that the people he hangs out with 2-3x/week didn't even know about you. It sounds to me like he is behaving like a single guy, which I feel is wrong in a marriage, especially one with kids.

I don't begrudge the occasional outing alone with coworkers/friends/family, but the fact that he goes out with his friends more than he does with you (and it bothers you), is a big problem, IMO.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would just start going out without him. Have you ever gone out on your own, and left him with the kids? And has he always gone out without you, or did it start after marriage/kids/etc?

I would be really annoyed if my SO did what your husband does. You have tried talking to him about how much this hurts you, and even telling him straight out that you need a date night occasionally...and he still doesn't listen?

I also find it very strange that the people he hangs out with 2-3x/week didn't even know about you. It sounds to me like he is behaving like a single guy, which I feel is wrong in a marriage, especially one with kids.

I don't begrudge the occasional outing alone with coworkers/friends/family, but the fact that he goes out with his friends more than he does with you (and it bothers you), is a big problem, IMO.
I do not really go out much. I do get out once a week with the older two children in the evening, we go do sports which we all enjoy. But I do not socialize that much. We used to when dating. For me it slowed down when the kids came along. Mainly because I was/am tired come evening time. Plus I feel guilty leaving him to deal with three kids on his own.

He does encourage me to go out. So I could do if I so wanted. But it is him I would love to be coming out with me. I think he is trying to get me being more sociable so it takes the focus off him. I do think it would be quite enriching. But I would not forget that he still would not be making the effort for me

However he has broached the subject of us maybe going to see a movie this Saturday night. This is pending asking a sitter at short notice but it is nice to see him making an effort.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I would be inviting myself along. Or just show up later while he is out. Really there is no excuse not to. After he leaves, call a sitter or mom or whatever. Get rid of the kids and show up. Don't let him think that he can go and leave you at home whenever he wants.

The other thing I would do is stop saying it's ok when he asks if he can go out for beers. At least half the time you should be saying no, you need to stay home with the kids because I have plans to go have a drink myself. And then go do it. Call up a girlfriend last minute and go buy her a drink.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
How does he have a condition that prevents him from leaving the house with you, but not to go out and get beer with his friends?
That seems slightly suspect to me, that this serious condition only seems to be a problem sometimes and not others.

I know you don't want to get into it, but - I'd question that.

Also - his drinking buddies not knowing he is married would also be a red flag - what reason does he have to not mention that he is married? Does he not wear a ring? Was it that they didn't know he is married or that they didn't know your name? In either case - why is that?

Sounds to me like he just can't be bothered as spending time with anyone but you is easier. Churches and the YMCA organize babysitting for couples night out once a month or so, it might be time to look into something other than just strictly family watching the youngsters for an evening.

I wouldn't let this go, you'll just slip further and further apart the less "we" time you have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would be extremely suspicious and would take steps to find out what is going on.
Let him go off as usual with his friends but before hand arrange for someone to sit with the kids without him knowing after he's left
Give it a good half hour then take yourself off to the place he is meeting his friends. then say you fancied going out with the gang and managed to get a sitter and see what he says and see also who is there.
If you don't get things sorted out when you are young when you are old it's too late.
Don't put up with crap life is too short.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be clear, his drinking buddies know all about me. It was the fact that the bartender did not know anything about me even existing. The group know this guy to chat to and some have even been on a vacation with him. A while ago H told me this guy was showing him pictures of his grown up daughter and asking him what he thought. I remember at the time thinking it was a bit odd that the guy did not ask anyone else except H, and in retrospect it appears as though the guy probably thought H was single whereas his good drinking buddy has his wife out with him sometimes.

I really do not think he is up to anything untoward. It really is more that he will make the effort to go out on his own but not with me. To hear how much of a hassle it is for him to think about arranging a sitter and to see how he does not bother is incredibly hurtful.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
To be clear, his drinking buddies know all about me. It was the fact that the bartender did not know anything about me even existing. The group know this guy to chat to and some have even been on a vacation with him. A while ago H told me this guy was showing him pictures of his grown up daughter and asking him what he thought. I remember at the time thinking it was a bit odd that the guy did not ask anyone else except H, and in retrospect it appears as though the guy probably thought H was single whereas his good drinking buddy has his wife out with him sometimes.

I really do not think he is up to anything untoward. It really is more that he will make the effort to go out on his own but not with me. To hear how much of a hassle it is for him to think about arranging a sitter and to see how he does not bother is incredibly hurtful.
Posted via Mobile Device
Going out drinking 3 times a week is excessive even if he goes with you one night, with friends the next and a different group of friends the third. What are you going to do about it?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.