Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been training on the mat for years; however, with the #Metoo# movement i notice more gents reluctant to roll with females. Any BJJ brothers witnessing the same phenomenon and what's you feeling about the situation?

Vej36

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have been training on the mat for years; however, with the #Metoo# movement i notice more gents reluctant to roll with females. Any BJJ brothers witnessing the same phenomenon and what's you feeling about the situation?

Vej36
I don't really think it's appropriate for a man or woman who's in a relationship to be rolling around on the floor, having full body contact with members of the opposite sex. Besides the fact that many grappling positions are mirror images of ones from the bedroom.

That said, women who are rolling around in other people's sweat, don't really seem like the type that would accuse someone falsely. So as long as the dudes behave themselves, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

·
Premium Member
18,271 Posts
As a fighter I dislike fighting women, and most of the time I give them the upper hand and restrain myself. Male instinct to protect, and not to harm.

Those who prove themselves as competent fighters however, then sure, but they have to earn my respect for that. Kicking my butt is a sure-fire way, and if they are single, also a weak spot for me - I would ask for their number as I would be so turned on :eek:

Only one woman ever proved herself to me in that regard, she was my girlfriend for two years in my teens, a striker though, but one powerful striker while I was more the grappler.

·
Super Moderator
13,333 Posts

Vej36
Not at all. But then again, we are a small school and everyone is really tight. Occasionally I will partner with one of the females for drilling as two of them are pretty good friends.

I have also trained at three other schools in my state (Tennessee) during business travel in 2017. I rolled with females at two of the three. No hesitation. One of the two females gave me about all I could handle...lol.

Reactions: MattMatt

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have been a regular practitioner of Aikido for many years ... never had a problem with male or female opponents.
RS brings up a good point... why would it be only the opposite sex that you'd be worried about. Couldn't a male fight partner also accuse you of inappropriate groping? If your going to worry about that then contact sports probably isn't for you.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My daughters do kick boxing, the youngest is 15 and is often sparring against men 2 or 3 times her age. They did have a go at Jiu Jitsu but prefer Muay Thai. The place they go is all about respect and self discipline. Honestly can't see what the big deal is OP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RS brings up a good point... why would it be only the opposite sex that you'd be worried about. Couldn't a male fight partner also accuse you of inappropriate groping? If your going to worry about that then contact sports probably isn't for you.
Society doesn't view males as vulnerable while, we do with women as indicated by Federal LAWS like Violence Against Women s Act; hence, an accusation of alleged groping by a male against another male will be viewed and handled very differently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This post is perhaps moot because after training today I asked some of the gents about rolling with women and many verbalised that increasing numbers of ladies are seeking "women only BJJ Classes" which, creates a WIN-WIN for both Genders. Ironically Gender segregation seems to be a good thing and no doubt it will be expanded in the work place.

Man, the Mike Pence Rule (basic principle) seems to be one of the few positives from the Trump Administration.

·
Banned
5,462 Posts
I don't really think it's appropriate for a man or woman who's in a relationship to be rolling around on the floor, having full body contact with members of the opposite sex. Besides the fact that many grappling positions are mirror images of ones from the bedroom.

That said, women who are rolling around in other people's sweat, don't really seem like the type that would accuse someone falsely. So as long as the dudes behave themselves, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.
And with that, I have an eye-opening insight into Biofury's bedroom activities >:)

I do remember an incident in boxing, in which I was to introduce a new lady to sparing. As she was new, I was not to bop her on the head, nor on the boobs. However, she had enormous breasts and was very short, leaving the only two viable punches to be a long extended upper cut going along to the belly under her boobs, or to actually squat down. It ended up being quite a challenge and made it far more even.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
When I was in school as a kid/teenager we all had to participate in every subject.There was a class called home economics and everyone learned how to cook basic meals,repair clothes,use an iron and a washing machine etc.There was also a home maintenance class where everyone learned basic woodwork,metalwork,home repair etc.
When it came to sports we all tried boxing and the girls were very enthusiastic about it lol.It became clear that the boys were holding back so we were split into mixed teams and when a boy had to box a girl there was no holding back tolerated because it was your team you were letting down.There is nothing like being punched by a girl while your two female teammates are screaming at you to punch her back.
I have studied Karate for twenty three years and Aikido for over twenty and my sparring partner is a woman.
She takes no prisoners.Neither do I.

Reactions: Robbie1234

·
Registered
185 Posts
In this day and age where all it takes is an accusation with no proof at all to destroy your life, no chance I would ever be in physical contact with a woman in a situation like BJJ, grappling, whatever, no way.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Chilly. I just won't do it. The only woman I would ever spar with is my wife. Then it's a little fingertip light slap to the forehead. No matter how hard she throws I won't escalate.

In class I would never spar a female. Just won't happen. On the street? It would probably take several good shots before I got pissed enough to strike them.

Another drive by, by the OP?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Men just don't make these kind of accusations generally, and definitely not spuriously. If man felt he was sexually groped, he'd either handle it in his own way, or be to ashamed to make it public. The idea that men and women are the same, and will behave in the same way, is getting very tired.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Ironically Gender segregation seems to be a good thing and no doubt it will be expanded in the work place.
First ... this thread wasn't a hit and run posting on your part ... that's a novelty >:)

Second ... you better hope that the above quoted never happens because it will result in industrial economic suicide. Think it through.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OP is trying to get you guys to agree that the “MeToo” movement is making men not want to engage with women in Jiu Jitsu.

That said, I’ve taken Krav Maga from an instructor who loves Jiu Jitsu and taught us several of the techniques. (He calls Krav Maga Jiu Jitsu’s crazy cousin). A lot of the positions did make me a bit self conscious and I was glad I had my husband and daughter as partners. I can see how it would make anyone uneasy. There was a whole lot of close contact, writhing on the floor, and crotch in the face.

The only thing worse than that was being facedown on the mat and seeing a piece of toenail inches from your face. Ick.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.